Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That is one thing I don't get with open Buggies is the need for a sound system. What with the wind noise alone you would never hear it but loud exhausts on top of it would render even the best sound system useless above city speeds.

I suppose there is always ear buds... anyway a set of nicely tuned Webers and a bit of a throaty exhaust is all the music I need. Just not so loud as to make my ears ring!

i think a nice set of noise cancelling headphones, or earbuds would be the ticket with an open car nowadays. I know they are awesome on any airplane

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

Keep in mind that is a T-1 engine,,,,,,,,, I forgot that!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
I built my own DIY fender quiet pack setup. I was going for hideaway style but wanted as quiet as possible. It is quite silent.

That is very quiet! Nice job!
L51C_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
I built my own DIY fender quiet pack setup. I was going for hideaway style but wanted as quiet as possible. It is quite silent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice! What kind of resonator did you use? I also have a 74 and have been thinking about a hide out style system and was wondering if it would fit with the bumper shock mounts and carbon canister, your system is a great reference!
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

L51C_75 wrote:

Nice! What kind of resonator did you use? I also have a 74 and have been thinking about a hide out style system and was wondering if it would fit with the bumper shock mounts and carbon canister, your system is a great reference!

Thanks! It’s built with a AP Exhaust MSL muffler 709005, and a Walker 24408 resonator. Both are 1.75” In/Out. The 1.75” tubing fits the ID of the Empi header flange perfectly. I used the Walker resonator specifically because it has a straight perforated tube inside. AP resonators are like a cheese grater inside and the ID cross section is necked down.

It doesn’t obstruct the bumper mounts and I believe the canister is mounted a bit higher. Not sure, because I don’t have the canister mounted at the moment. Plenty of clearance for the rear brakes and tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird Exhaust Dual In-Fender Quietpacks Reply with quote

At one time I used two resonators to quiet down a set of dual cannons on my sand rail. It did the job so when I built a new exhaust system I used one of them as a muffler but is was far too restrictive. I have no idea what brand they were.

I switched it out to this one and it is super quiet!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: