Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

As the title states. In April my family and me are taking our first big road trip in our Vanagon. We've gone a few overnighters throughout Cali, but this is our first cross state journey! I may make a different thread about what to prep on the van, so I'd like to steer away from that for now please.

We live in Central CA and are visiting family friends in Payson Arizona.

It's me, my wife,m and my 2 kiddos ages 2.5 and 7.

We're hoping to drive maybe 6 hours per day depending on how the kids feel. W would be in no rush and want to take our time. Were open to staying in Hotels if the situation arises.

We have a campsite reservation in Joshua tree for the first night.

Our family friends have some ideas and plans for us when we get to Payson and surrounding area like Phoenix.

On the way home I want to see the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon, so we have reservations at Boulder Creek Campsite near Hoover.

Anyways.. with all that out of the way.. any recommendations of things to do along the way or must do's at the grand canyon or hoover dam? Any cool roads or routes you recommend? Or anything super cool near Payson that I could bring up to my family friends?

I was just going to use GPS to get us places.

Thanks in advance guys!
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Make sure to bring red lights for nightime activities. That way you look at the stars without having to adjust your eyes.

Definitely hit up the Cabazon Dinosaurs if you can and try to get a shake at Shields in Indio or Hadleys next to the dinos.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

if you are a construction or technology nerd, take the in depth tour of Hoover dam. well worth the time and cost!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Drive across the mountains! I drove through Yosemite on 120 and it was a beautiful drive. Driving down 395 in the valley to Lone Pine was really cool. Seeing all the massive mountains on both sides was awesome. Death Valley is also really cool to drive though. I did not believe the signs about the engine overheating if the AC is on in a modern car, but it is true in July when the temps are 117F. Seeing the jets buzz the cars on 190 through Death Valley was also pretty cool.

I'm not sure you can take a not scenic view from Central CA to AZ. Everything is just awesome to look at out there.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Some of the best mountain biking I've ever done is the various trails/ forest service roads up to, traversing across, and down from the Mogollon Rim above Payson- if mountain biking interests you.

There are also some truly amazing camping opportunities near Payson, look around the reservoirs.

Just a beautiful area.
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Grand Canyon stop.

Swing by MartAnnes in Flagstaff for a #49 burrito and then proceed down through Sedona on 89A.

At least that's what I would do.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Pick up and follow Historic Route 66.

https://www.historic66.com
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

carnitas and chile rellenos at la paloma in blythe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

My first GC trip was to the North Rim and I was very impressed. Years later I went to the South Rim and was even more impressed. You can't go wrong with either but crowds might be worse South.

When South, hike the Rim Trail to Hermit's Rest and catch the shuttle back to the village, or vice versa.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:

We have a campsite reservation in Joshua tree for the first night.

Stay off the sh** show that is I-10 coming to AZ. Instead, take the northern route of 62 to Parker, then 95 & 72 to Hope, then 60 to Wickenburg, then 74 to I-17 (from there, decide whether to go via north Phoenix/Scottsdale, or up to Camp Verde to get to Payson). It's longer, but safer.

campism wrote:
My first GC trip was to the North Rim and I was very impressed. Years later I went to the South Rim and was even more impressed. You can't go wrong with either but crowds might be worse South.

North Rim is closed until at least May 15th.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Just be willing to stop when you see something that looks interesting. A lot of times I pull off because I see a dilapidated old building somewhere, take a walk from there and find some old mine or other point of interest. Found a hundred acre obsidian field full of flowers once with a narrow 150' deep gorge bisecting it just yards from a major road, no signs, no trail.

Not too much of a railroad buff, but I always like watching a train pulling a long grade. There's a place I like to stop about 7 miles west out of Needles where one can watch the engines working hard to make 15-25 mph 30-45 minutes after the engineer throttled them up to leave the Needles yard.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

If you have time, Sedona is a pretty stunning place to drive though and lots to see and do there if you stop. Given your kid’s ages, Slide Rock State Park is likely worthy if a visit - it may be too cold to take on the the natural water slide, but still worth visiting. Jerome is also a pretty funky place to hang out in and Sunset Crater National Monument has a great interpretive center. Best of luck with the travels.

Last edited by coqcitywesty on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

A good route to the Grand Canyon south rim once your in Payson would be taking

89a to 260 thru strawberry(fossil creek and wagon wheel are two really cool watering holes/hikes hat shouldn’t be crowded)

Then 260 to camp verde(there’s a hotspring that’s accessible and has a primitive campground) which will let you get over to Sedona. Then take the 89 through oak creek up to flagstaff. Oak creek has so much cool stuff.

Be sure to make a reservation at gc if you want to stay in the park. It is really worth setting aside a day to hike into the canyon via one of the main trails like bright angel

I would skip Phoenix unless you want to go to a spring training game or something.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

Jerome, AZ is a pretty cool spot.

also Oatman, AZ has all these crazy donkeys that live in the town, cool spot to stop over and check out the place

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

so much to see and do in our wonderful state! i'll try to be specific. for your journey to payson, kamz had the right recommendation to get you from joshua tree to phx. from phx to payson, i'd suggest taking the back way to roosevelt lake (hwy 88 ). there's plenty of reserved camping @ canyon & apache lake and then it's camp-where-you-like all the way to roosevelt lake. it's a maintained dirt road and passes through some beautiful desert country. at roosevelt lake you can rejoin the paved highway.

as far as your stay in payson, check out the tonto natural bridge.
hike to fossil springs Smile
if diamond point is still a thing, it's worth doing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

6 hour driving days with kids, excellent. Get them out to explore something “undocumented “every two hours or so.

One night in Bus, one night in hotel makes many families happy
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

check the spare parts bag
make sure all the service is done
and check o that roadside assistance/towing insurance AAA, escapees, ...

then just have fun wherever you are

:peacesign:
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

I live in Flagstaff. Hit me up if you need a hand or whatever. Grand Canyon to Payson lots of cool things and places to see. Get off the main roads, lots of dirt roads to drive and see beautiful places. Are you ok camping in dispersed forest spots? are you a hiker/biker. This is the 3rd snowiest January in Flagstaff. Depending what time of year you are coming opens up different options.

When you get to hoover dam take 93 to 66, drive east on 66 through kingman to Ashfork. Check out Seligman, the grand canyon caverns are an awesome place to camp and a great tour. Continue to 40, go through Flagstaff. Stop by say Hi. I may have a spot for you in the driveway or can tell you local spots to camp. Drive FR3 from Flagstaff to Clints well, go south on 87.
Lots of great "backroads" to see in AZ. Stay off the highways. I love AZ and spend most of my time hanging around here.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
so much to see and do in our wonderful state! i'll try to be specific. for your journey to payson, kamz had the right recommendation to get you from joshua tree to phx. from phx to payson, i'd suggest taking the back way to roosevelt lake (hwy 88 ). there's plenty of reserved camping @ canyon & apache lake and then it's camp-where-you-like all the way to roosevelt lake. it's a maintained dirt road and passes through some beautiful desert country. at roosevelt lake you can rejoin the paved highway.

as far as your stay in payson, check out the tonto natural bridge.
hike to fossil springs Smile
if diamond point is still a thing, it's worth doing

Just a heads up hwy 88 has a 7 mile section closed indefinitely due to flooding a few years ago. It is indeed a great alternative to the beeline hwy
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a trip from Central CA to Payson Arizona - cool ideas?? Reply with quote

My kids enjoyed Calico Ghost town outside of Barstow. There's a campground near by...

Hans
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: