Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fine '69 Update
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
Brad Pitt in Seven: Honestly, have you ever seen anything like this?

So, when the summer looked like it was at a close and the weather started cooling off, I pulled my bug into the garage and started on the restoration in earnest. What I found was… not encouraging.

This appears to be a thin sheet of metal welded over a large rust hole in the body. I've got these on all four wheel wells.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside, the whole back shelf behind the back seat has been either replaced, or, more likely, covered by a sheet of corrugated metal. I'm kind of afraid to look under there. Not sure if I should leave that be or pull it up. Based on the state of everything else I've found, I'm thinking I'll have to tear it up and just set my mind to fabricate a proper replacement for whatevers underneath.

When I tore up the carpet I found that the previous owner had carpeted over an amazing amount of rust. The floorboards are shot. Not uncommon from what I understand, but disheartening anyway. The previous owner had apparently noted that the heater channels were falling apart and sprayed them full of foam. Those will have to go as well.

To me, it looks like the previous owner covered over all the issues as best he could, and sold it to me with no mention of the "work" he'd done at all.

My question is, has anyone seen anything like that second photo? I'm not sure how to approach this. Should that makeshift firewall come out? Is it makeshift? Looks like it's made from pieces of something.

As always, any advice is welcome and appreciated. I'm already searching the forum for recommended welders, that's going to be next on my list of skills to pick up for this project.

Thanks again!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Hard to tell since everything is covered up.
The dimple pattern in the firewall looks correct but who can say how far the damage extends.
Unless you know how to do metal work, you may want to look into a different car. Pans and heater channels are difficult enough for me.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
you may want to look into a different car

Oofff… I was afraid someone would say that. Not my first option… I'll be out about $2.5k. Then again, I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad.

Last time I welded was in the Navy 20 years ago. I wasn't great at it then, but figured I could learn.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Forget the restoration, patch up the holes as best you can, get some carpet for the interior, primer/paint the external patches and drive it until you get your 2.5k worth of fun. When you see rust like that there is a whole lot more you can't see. Keep your eye peeled for a better shape body that needs the stuff you have.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Sorry about the unpleasant surprises. Bummer. It may be a tall (and costly) order to hit the goals you had for the car when you introduced it in your post on 9/21/21. It looks like it may have been Savannah Beige (under deck lid photo) before painted its current color so getting back to a stock color would be a bit of a project by itself.

It certainly has potential. Consider resetting your goals and expectations rather than moving on to another. I grew up in the Midwest and know how harsh the climate can be on cars. It may be very difficult to find another that is in better condition for a price that leaves you $$ to put toward a restoration.

Great that it is an autostick! Wish I could find one out here.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

i agree with starbucket, put it back together and just enjoy having an old Beetle, they don't all have to be restored.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

If you're seeing rust and rot in those spots, you really need to do a thorough inspection of the rest of the pan, heater channels, top hat, etc. In all likelihood, those spots are rusted out as well. That would make your bug structurally weak to say the least.
Let's face it, bugs were not known for having a good outcome in a serious car wreck. With a structurally diminished pan and body, it would be even worse.
My 69 convertible was rusted out in those same spots.

Long story short, it turned into a major project that BBQ'd lots of hundreds to fix correctly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Yea, I think you all might be right. Time to readjust the plan!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

The Eastwood 235 mig is fantastic, it has infinite control knobs.

You can look up underneath that parcel shelf from below and see what's there.

I would tend to agree on patch it back up for now and drive the hell out of it. $2,500 for a driver is nothing.

Keep your eye on craigslist and Facebook market place. A solid shell off the pan for 500 or less shows up once every year when someone built a buggy years ago and finally gets sick of the body sitting behind their garage. In the meantime, a whole different VW will present itself instead and you will have the knowledge to see these issues a mile away to select a long term love.

If you tear into this one it will be off the road for many years. Enjoy the summer bombing around with those cool slotted mag wheels. I love those.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Thought about this all night, talked it over with my wife, and woke up this morning around 4am still thinking about it. I appreciate everyone's comments, and I'm sure you guys are right. Thing is, I just wouldn't be happy if I didn't go all the way. I've given up on things before, and the feeling doesn't sit well with me.

You are all absolutely correct that this is going to be a multi-year project. That's ok, that's what the bug is for me, a hobby. I'm lucky enough that this doesn't have to be my daily driver right now, not like my old bug was in high school! My original goal was to have it done by the time my youngest son graduated high school. That gives me a little over two years, so maybe I'll stretch that out to when he graduates college.

The bug is super fun to drive, and I love those slotted wheels too! It's going to be even more fun once I know for sure I've got everything fixed. So, I need to learn some new skills, and get good enough at it that I can trust my own work. That'll take some time. That's ok, far as I know I've got time, there's no rush. This is just as much about the journey as it is the destination.

I found replacement luggage shelf, heater channels, and floor pans online. So, yea, I'll have to burn some Benjamins. Like my wife said though, it won't be all at once, and it'll keep me busy.

Better to be out in the garage working on something cool than sitting in front of the tv for another night.

Again, thanks everyone! I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions as time goes on.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Awesome. Go for it!

Update your build thread that you started and you will have plenty of company for the journey. Very Happy

Have you begun to prepare the missus for the fact that a second aircooled will be making appearance sometime in early June? Lol! I'm joking, but they do tend to multiply. Laughing

P.S. I found an advantage in having most of my updates in a main build thread as people can follow along easily and tailor advice to the history of the build. Like maybe quote your first post in this thread and copy it over to a post in your introduction thread and then roll from there. Or use this one, as the build thread, either way I get surprised sometimes at how far its come when I scroll back in one of my build threads and see what's been done.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
Update your build thread that you started and you will have plenty of company for the journey.

Thanks! Good advice, next time I've got an update I'll do that.

Quote:
Have you begun to prepare the missus for the fact that a second aircooled will be making appearance sometime in early June? Lol! I'm joking, but they do tend to multiply.

Very Happy Ha! Not that I'd mind, but my garage only has so much room!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Take a night course in mig/tig welding as just an observer (so you don't need prerec.s) and buy a good welder like a Miller with a foot controller (you can always sell it after to get your money back) and when you see some scrap metal picket it up to practice on.
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
Take a night course in mig/tig welding as just an observer (so you don't need prerec.s) and buy a good welder like a Miller with a foot controller (you can always sell it after to get your money back) and when you see some scrap metal picket it up to practice on.

Good advice, I've been thinking about doing exactly this. If I've learned anything over the years it's to invest in good tools and take the time to learn to do it right.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Since it’s a runner/driver, inspect the overall structure as others have suggested. If the bones are good, and depending on your dedication, don’t get carried away with blowing the car completely apart. Tackle little pieces at a time that can be completed in a day or two, then move on to the next.

You can assess the package shelf by rolling underneath the car & looking at the bottom of it. It’s guaranteed to be rotted away, but it’s already covered over… so leave it alone for now.

If the tops of the heater channels are solid, you can make patch panels or purchase new ones to cut parts out of & weld them in to the existing without tearing the the whole car apart.

These projects are far easier to deal with if they can move on their own, or you can at least drive it around until you can tackle the next stage.

Just a suggestion, everyone has their own goals & process to achieve them.

I personally have to get them to a driving state, as quickly as possible, to remain interested in them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

You should read through a few dozen build threads on here. Those are a wealth of knowledge and show how the panels go together, which means how you can take them apart. You will be drilling out hundreds of spot welds. Spot weld cutters are great, BUT THEY LEAVE BEHIND BIG HOLES. Then you have to fill those. I like using a 3/16” drill bit and a air hammer with a chisel end. They pop every time. Buy the best wire wheels you can. Get an auto darkening welding helmet. Get the bigger bottle of gas. And read through some threads!

Good luck! And go into knowing it will cost double the money and triple the time!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

It doesn't look too bad. It just depends on how much rust is covered up. Floor pans always need replacing and that is a simple repair. You'll want to see how much rot there is so you can evaluate the work needed to repair.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Based on the pix in your gallery, the car looks really straight with nice tight lines still. The sidewalls of the spare tire compartment are the tell-all as to whether it's been packed in the front before, but based on this pic above, it looks virgin still. So overall I'd say it's a very good candidate for the rust repairs you have to tackle, in the end it should be a really solid car. Many of the people responding here are speaking from experience and have build threads that you should hunt down for inspiration, they've pulled the long haul and are still kicking. You'll probably need a kick in the rear every once in a while to stay motivated for this one Wink
jonathanbuys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

Quote:
You should read through a few dozen build threads on here.

I've definitely been doing that, and will continue to do so.

Quote:
Good luck! And go into knowing it will cost double the money and triple the time!

Very Happy Thanks, and I'm sure it will!

Quote:
It doesn't look too bad. It just depends on how much rust is covered up. Floor pans always need replacing and that is a simple repair.

That's good to hear. Simple is probably in the eye of the beholder, but I've been watching lots of YouTube and I'm looking into classes at my local community college for welding.

Quote:
Based on the pix in your gallery, the car looks really straight with nice tight lines still.

Thanks!

Quote:
You'll probably need a kick in the rear every once in a while to stay motivated for this one

Absolutely!

Thanks again all!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
...If the bones are good, and depending on your dedication, don’t get carried away with blowing the car completely apart. Tackle little pieces at a time that can be completed in a day or two, then move on to the next....

These projects are far easier to deal with if they can move on their own, or you can at least drive it around until you can tackle the next stage...

I personally have to get them to a driving state, as quickly as possible, to remain interested in them.

Man oh Man can I relate to this. My green Super got the full monty and has been off the road for a few years, but spent a couple driving around first to earn the devotion. Problem is, when it's not driveable I want to cruiz the scene because I have far fewer summers ahead of me than behind. So another one shows up for that temporary assignment. Then, I go back there after a little and WTF there is another one now. Best keep them separate because I parked them too close to each other and Bam! ANOTHER one just like that. They are rabbits I swear. Keep one driving at all times. The moment there is a lull in the cruising - FOOM one pops in just like that and your buried. Very Happy Blow it all apart, you'll see!

You are going to love this quest. It's all good and its all been done before.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: