Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fine '69 Update
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

jonathanbuys wrote:
Quote:
Take a night course in mig/tig welding as just an observer (so you don't need prerec.s) and buy a good welder like a Miller with a foot controller (you can always sell it after to get your money back) and when you see some scrap metal picket it up to practice on.

Good advice, I've been thinking about doing exactly this. If I've learned anything over the years it's to invest in good tools and take the time to learn to do it right.

Having been where you are, you could consider buying a rust free bug that needs mechanical love from the dry SW USA and then ship it to you. Buying a bug that doesn't need rust repair will save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of your life. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours cutting/welding on my convertible.

My 67 bug I bought 15 years ago spent it's life in the Los Angeles area. It had zero rust anywhere on it. The original pans were good. Only some surface rust under the battery that was treated and sealed.

Something to consider.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fine '69 Update Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Having been where you are, you could consider buying a rust free bug that needs mechanical love from the dry SW USA and then ship it to you. Buying a bug that doesn't need rust repair will save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of your life. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours cutting/welding on my convertible.

My 67 bug I bought 15 years ago spent it's life in the Los Angeles area. It had zero rust anywhere on it. The original pans were good. Only some surface rust under the battery that was treated and sealed.

Something to consider.

The critical word here is "dry". Any bug that has spent a good deal of time within a couple miles of the ocean probably has unwelcome rust issues. I'm in the San Diego area and I lost count of how many bugs I looked at where the seller falsely claimed they were "rust free". I'm not talking about surface rust ... I found crumbling panels and holes you could put a fist through on those cars. I think Bill makes an excellent point, but either you or someone you trust needs to give any car you find an in-person inspection or get plenty of photos of critical areas to back up any "rust free" claims. Try contacting clubs in inland Southern California and Arizona to see what their members might have available or know of. There's more than a few VW enthusiasts that have multiple project cars and may be willing to sell one to help fund their other projects.

Samba lists clubs here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: