Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing advanced too much
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I will second that the yellow is most likely the advance signal of the ones shown. As it needs to align with the upper edge of the throttle plate when the plate is closed. Just test it to see if it has vacuum at idle when the throttle is fully closed. It should not, but as soon as the throttle is opened at all it should.

I concur with Mike & the others above. They all get credit. What happens here is that one person asks a question and the answer causes someone else to ask another question, and someone else learns from those questions and asks another. Many times here it is everyone involved, from the owner, to the many who ask that solve an issue. Only BusDaddy seems to get it 99% right. I sometimes think he is AI but for I fact I do know he is a real person. Smile
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

Well I thought I was in the clear, I switched the lines back (switched the red and yellow from the pic shown) and timed it with the dist/carb line disconnected and plugged. All was looking good, running great, timed at 7.5. So I plugged the dist/carb line back up to the dist, no raise in idle, great!! I throttled up and down a few times then let it right off, and it idled higher and the timing was off. So i removed that dist/carb line and the idle dropped. So now I assume there is still some vacuum pull at idle from the carb and I will have pull of the carb and take a look.

So I was thinking, wouldn't the amount of idle set effect the fully closed blade position in the carb at idle? If the idle was set even a little more that 0, wouldn't that open the blade up enough to create vacuum on the distributor? Should one start with absolutely no idle adjustment?

Uhgggg, but I do love figuring this stuff out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

before you pull the carb off, why not try to find a hose diagram for the carb. Also, if you did this with the engine cold and not fully warmed up, the system does not fully function until the engine is warmed up.

Last, most distributors need a couple drops of oil on the felt pad under the rotor next time you service it.

I found this photo of another 1994 Brazilian bus for sale. It shows the hoses. That does not mean it is correct. Click on photos to expand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

Thanks for those pics, just nice to see someone with the exact same setup as me!!

Going to vacuum guage all those ports tonight.

Very tough to find schematics on those carbs but I will keep looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

Ok, an update for anyone still interested.

Put the vacuum gauge on and absolutely no vacuum at idle from the vacuum port to the distributor. it does pull nice vacuum when throttled.

So, when the line is attached to the distributor and I hit the throttle and it comes back down, it idles a little higher. Then right after this if I remove the line, the idle drops back to original.

So, since I have no vacuum pull at idle, I have to assume that the vacuum diaphragm ( or cannister, not sure what its called ) attached to the distributor must stick a little. Or I have to drop a little oil on the felt pad as per SGKent.

In any event, its not vacuum from the carb, so I will assume timing to 7.5 at idle and no vacuum will be correct here.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

There is a plate inside the distributor that the vacuum advance attaches to. That plate can get sticky and gummy. Also, as mentioned the felt under the rotor. You can easily test the rotor by turning it by hand with the cap off. If when you return it, it does not return back to original position, then it is gummed up.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Timing advanced too much Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
There is a plate inside the distributor that the vacuum advance attaches to. That plate can get sticky and gummy. Also, as mentioned the felt under the rotor. You can easily test the rotor by turning it by hand with the cap off. If when you return it, it does not return back to original position, then it is gummed up.

concur. That is likely all you need to do. The plates also wear a little where the ball bearing rides and makes a divot. But a few drops of a lite oil in the right spots should free it up for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: