Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ensure my car is not considered salvage?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Ensure my car is not considered salvage? Reply with quote

I am looking to insure my Beetle, and would like to self insure as much as possible. My largest concern is having my Beetle declared total loss, or "salvage" (with a stigma "salvage title" if it is hit). Even if it is substantially damaged, I would like to avoid getting a "salvage title".

It always seemed strange that a third party (my chosen insurer) is able to define the state of my car to the state - and I don't want to over-insure to mitigate this. Insuring based whatever my insurance company feels like it is worth would provide the cheapest, but also the most likely to be declared a total loss if a get a dent in the fender or some such.

What is the best way to handle this, and reduce the change of having my car deemed "salvage" if it is in an accident?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Search on threads like these. Collectors insurance is affordable and lets you state its insured value:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9977903
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446660
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489462
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4750814
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Check out Hagerty and the "Cherished Salvage" coverage they offer.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insu...e-coverage

Their policies are for guaranteed value rather than stated value ... not the same thing. There seem to be lots of positive comments about them in other threads so probably worth looking into.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

I agrre "cherished salvage" is a great option - but it only happens after a car is declared a total loss. Any ideas on strategies to avoid that designation to begin with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

The only way to be 100% sure your car is not totaled... is to not accept payment from the insurance company.

If you don't take the check then they don't own it and the title is not changed to Salvage.

There comes a point that an insurance company will not reimburse you for damage. That amount is more than the car is worth.

The value of sentiment value is $0.

I've seen people put $10,000 into a rusty Super Beetle and that was only rust/rot repair, not a total restoration. And when done the car is is only worth $3000. They understand that and do it anyway.

This car is not repairable... everything would have to be replaced since the fire damaged destroyed the integrity of the metal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The only way to be 100% sure your car is not totaled... is to not accept payment from the insurance company.

If you don't take the check then they don't own it and the title is not changed to Salvage.

That's interesting! I thought the insurance company determined if it was salvage, regardless as to if you took their money or not. If you don't accept payment, the title doesn't change?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Glenn wrote:

That's interesting! I thought the insurance company determined if it was salvage, regardless as to if you took their money or not. If you don't accept payment, the title doesn't change?

If you don't hand them the title, how can it change? Someone needs to inform DMV, they can't since they don't own it.

Here's another that can't be fixed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

That will buff out, Glenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Gee Harry, I would call Hagerty and ask them to explain how “Cherished Salvage” works.

I spoke to them several months ago and my understanding is that “Cherished Salvage” is an add-on to the policy for which you pay extra (I think the added charge is equal to 15% of whatever premium you pay for the guaranteed coverage you want). As I understand it, in the event of a total loss, you are paid the guaranteed value of the vehicle and you keep the vehicle. Since there is no transfer of ownership, I don’t see why there would be a change in the title status. You can do whatever you want with the vehicle … repair it, donate it, part it out, sell for scrap … or make yard art out of it and see how that goes over with the neighbors (or HOA Shocked ).

This is a deal for you because you collect the guaranteed value and get to keep the car. It is also a deal for Hagerty because they collect the additional premium for the “Cherished Salvage” benefit and don’t have to deal with the expenses involved with taking possession of the car (administrative paperwork/fees, towing it away, storage, and disposal … whatever form that takes).

It seems like it would give you the coverage you want without having to worry about ending up with a salvage title. It is well worth giving them a call to confirm the details of the coverage and “Cherished Salvage” benefit.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

The estigma of salvage title...I would think that only applies if you are trying to sale it. It affects the value....but , you aren't selling it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

However …

If you are in an accident and you are at fault, I think the only other way to avoid the dreaded salvage title would be to have just liability coverage so you are covered for vehicle or property damage and injury you cause to someone else. Since you wouldn’t have any collision or comprehensive coverage, you then bear the expense of any damage or loss to your vehicle including whatever value it has if it is damaged beyond repair or stolen. (Unless you have Hagerty with full coverage and the 'Cherished Salvage' benefit ... I think).

If you are in an accident and the other person is at fault, you’d end up filing a claim with their insurance company … and they will want to pay as little as possible. It is entirely possible that even relatively minor damage will cost as much or more to repair than their insurance company believes your car is worth. If you accept what they are willing to pay, I believe the car would be considered totaled … and there’s your salvage title. So, to avoid the salvage title you’d have to decline their damage settlement and eat the loss yourself … even though you’re not at fault. This scenario fits with what Glenn was saying.

I think most of us who have invested a good deal of time and money into our classic cars drive them with care. This is especially true if the car is a family heirloom. That being the case, it seems much more likely in this world of distracted driving that someone else will be at fault in an accident and we will be faced with dealing with their insurance company. Hard to imagine a satisfactory outcome in such a situation.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Insure is for the car, Ensure is for the Samba poster. I get dizzy reading about ignition systems which brake.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Insure is for the car, Ensure is for the Samba poster. I get dizzy reading about ignition systems which brake.

I see what you did Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

I have definitely learned a lot of insurance from this thread, and I really appreciate the responses. I was under the belief that a car could be considered "totaled" by an insurance company, and that caused the state to change the title type. I didn't realize that could only happen if I accepted the payment from the insurance.

I get that this only really matters if I decide to sell the car, but I like the keep my options open. I also don't like the idea of the "salvage title" for my car, regardless.

Thanks for all of the links, and I've been talking with Hagarty, so I'll probably move off of my current insurance to them, soon (along with "cherished salvage" option.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

I just added the "Cherished Salvage" endorsement to my Hagerty Policy.
$26/year and I hope I never have to find out if it is worth it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

in the early 2000's many flippers were buying wrecked cars and putting them back together. In some cases people had half of one car, half of another and a fresh paint job, with no idea that their car(s) had been wrecked. People were dying in some cases when the cars broke. As a result the states passed laws on salvaged car titles such that when a car is a write off, or sold under some liens, it is required by all 50 states to show a "salvage" title. My bus has a salvage title, it had 12 - 15 parking tickets on it from sitting unused in front of the first owner's house. The second owner bought it and had run thru a friend's towing service as a mechanics lien to get rid of about $2500 in tickets and penalties. That caused it to have a salvage title. It is not a big thing. In antique aircraft, many are salvaged, even rebuild out of a VIN plate and old engine someone found in a collection. In those "vintage" aircraft, that cost millions of dollars, the only part that may be original is the Serial Number tag. When I bought this bus, I talked with USAA about it and they told me that they see salvage titles everyday, and that it has no effect on the value of the vehicle whatsoever. The type repairs done are what determines that. Someone could lose a two week old car to an <racist term removed> who drives it across the country. The car is written off as stolen and then found 3 months later in some parking lot in another state. By then it is now a salvage vehicle because it was reported stolen and an insurance claim. It might have been sitting in the same spot three months, and the only thing it needs is to be washed and the McDonald wrappers on the floor tossed in the trash. With a fine detailing it would be like a new car. But under all 50 state laws it has to be a branded title. Especially on old cars it means nothing. The only exception might be if you have a rare numbers matching, 60's muscle car with 3 miles on it that was in a collection all its life.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
When I bought this bus, I talked with USAA about it and they told me that they see salvage titles everyday, and that it has no effect on the value of the vehicle whatsoever.

I would get it in writing because:
I've been told directly from my insurance in the past that they will not pay out as much on salvaged vehicles because they have already been fully paid out once.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Stinky123 wrote:
that only applies if you are trying to sale it.

I insured my car to sell it, but needed a dose of Ensure for the sale, cuz the brakes failed when the dizzy took a shit.

Also, a salvage title only really matter if a buyer tries to get a bank loan against it. Most lenders will not do a regular auto loan for a vehicle with a salvage title. Can probably get a personal loan at nearly double the interest rate, though.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
in the early 2000's many flippers were buying wrecked cars and putting them back together. In some cases people had half of one car, half of another and a fresh paint job, with no idea that their car(s) had been wrecked.

My dad busted a guy doing this same thing with wrecked Volvo's back in the mid 80's. I need to ask him if he recalls when they started branding titles. He was a MN state Trooper for 27 years.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ensure not salvage? Reply with quote

For F sake someone change the title of this thread.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: