Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't get oil
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Can't get oil Reply with quote

I live in So Cal, so this may be peculiar to my area. For the last year or so, I've been doing my oil changes by dipping into the garage stockpile of one quart containers of standard 30 wt. Penzoil, to be precise. I have run out, so I went to my local Auto Zone to buy some oil. About 80 percent of their stock was synthetic, and the rest was sold in bulk (no regular 30 weight). On to Pep Boys. Same thing. I hit up every auto parts store in my area. Same problem.
So I turned to Amazon. I ordered a 6 quart case of Penzoil. A few days later I got a notice that the oil was "undeliverable" and had been returned to the seller.

Is this a trend now? Anyone else having problems getting standard 30 wt oil in one quart containers?
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

I've been ordering 40w VR1, since it has extra zinc already added. I ordered mine from walmart recently, and it arrived next day. I am pretty sure VR1 is also available in 30w.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

You should of stopped using single weight oil, the current multi weight are better.

Depending on the condition of your engine you should use a 10-W30, 10-W40 or even a 20-W50 if you have a worn engine.

As to Amazon not shipping, it's a Prop65 issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderator note:
Don't turn this into a oil debate, we have a dedicated topic for that.

Don't turn this into a California B!TCHfest.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

You might want to check your local small engine shop - depending on the season they should have 10W30 or 10W40 oil with the higher zinc levels that our engines need.
Nacho_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

hobthebob wrote:
I've been ordering 40w VR1, since it has extra zinc already added. I ordered mine from walmart recently, and it arrived next day. I am pretty sure VR1 is also available in 30w.

Valvoline VR1 is what I use. Most VW shops locally have it in stock and Autozone . Autozone carries 50w but you can ask for 30w and they will have it delivered from their warehouse same day or within a day to the store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Try NAPA. A year or so ago I ordered a case of straight 40W through O'Reilly, picked up at the store.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

see if you can find some 'Shell Rotella Conventional Heavy Duty Motor Oil 30W 1 Gallon - T30-1'

as per Glenn's wishes...that's all I gotta say about that Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Just exactly what is a synthetic blend? Farm & Fleet was selling that but they went back to 100% oil. They have straight 30W but all their locations are in the midwest. I think you can mail order.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Just exactly what is a synthetic blend?

Synthetic blend is a mixture of synthetic oil and conventional oil; what the percentage can be is smoke and mirrors.

And all brake fluid, ATF, etc. is synthetic, just the word thrown on the label for marketing. Once one supplier started doing that, the others followed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Moderator note:

I don't think that is true, or at least it's sporadically enforced.

I also live in SoCal, and have a hard time getting the oil I want.

I can get VR1, but ONLY in 20/50. The local parts places said that was all that was available.

I tried ordering VR1 in a different weight, same Amazon cancelation. "Cannot be delivered to CA" notification.

Same thing with one brand of break in oil. Ordered a different brand, delivered no problem.

Briggs and Stratton branded oil (30w) was also no problem.

I don't understand where the line is, or how it's being enforced. Nobody can give me a straight answer.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Nacho_74 wrote:
hobthebob wrote:

Valvoline VR1 is what I use. Most VW shops locally have it in stock and Autozone . Autozone carries 50w but you can ask for 30w and they will have it delivered from their warehouse same day or within a day to the store.

I was told not available for order at my local Autozone. Rolling Eyes
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Just picked up 4 quarts 30w non detergent oil at my local Napa
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

I am in SoCal and have the same problem. FLAPS, even NAPA, have had a hard time getting the 30wt VR1 my engine builder told me to use. So I buy a couple of cases (6qt, not 12 or 24 like a "case" used to be, probably a "ban high capacity magazine" type idea Rolling Eyes). It's supposedly a "shipping to California" issue, or so they say. One blamed the COVID shipping issues and the port of LA overcrowding. Like you said, it's hard to get a straight answer, much less solve the problem.

Amazon lists it at $27 per quart. But it won't ship to SoCal.

It's about time for me to go on a quest for more oil in the next couple of months. I am not looking forward to it.

I add some cam additive to up the zinc, but just getting VR1 mono-grade is getting hard.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am in SoCal and have the same problem. FLAPS, even NAPA, have had a hard time getting the 30wt VR1 my engine builder told me to use. So I buy a couple of cases (6qt, not 12 or 24 like a "case" used to be, probably a "ban high capacity magazine" type idea Rolling Eyes). It's supposedly a "shipping to California" issue, or so they say. One blamed the COVID shipping issues and the port of LA overcrowding. Like you said, it's hard to get a straight answer, much less solve the problem.

Amazon lists it at $27 per quart. But it won't ship to SoCal.

It's about time for me to go on a quest for more oil in the next couple of months. I am not looking forward to it.

I add some cam additive to up the zinc, but just getting VR1 mono-grade is getting hard.

Didja ask the Napa parts counter guys? Yea I know I'm Or.
My local Napa carries 30wt, VR1. The last time I was buying it. It wasn't on the shelf. Asked the counter guy if they still stocked it, he brought out a 6qt. case from behind the counter. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's just California thing. The rest of the county seems like they have choices that are not available to us, or difficult to source. It doesn't make sense.

Autozone stocks VR1 20/50 on the shelf, but can't order other weights?

Amazon can't ship VR1, or Lucas break in oil. They have no problem sending STP break in oil, or lawnmower straight weight (or any other synthetic oil I've ordered).

I'll try Oriley next time, just to see what they say. Idk if there is a NAPA around here anywhere.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's just California thing. The rest of the county seems like they have choices that are not available to us, or difficult to source. It doesn't make sense.

Autozone stocks VR1 20/50 on the shelf, but can't order other weights?

Amazon can't ship VR1, or Lucas break in oil. They have no problem sending STP break in oil, or lawnmower straight weight (or any other synthetic oil I've ordered).

I'll try Oriley next time, just to see what they say. Idk if there is a NAPA around here anywhere.

Didja look here?
MAPA Auto Parts
2954 Oceanside Blvd, Oceanside, CA 92054

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Actually I moved over by Temecula. But I do know exactly where that one is. I've been there multiple times when I lived on Camp Pen.

I'm sure I can Google one over here, I've just not needed to I guess.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Actually I moved over by Temecula. But I do know exactly where that one is. I've been there multiple times when I lived on Camp Pen.

I'm sure I can Google one over here, I've just not needed to I guess.

Good lord, Temecula brings back memories.
I used to commute there from San Clemente way back in 1994.
I was a clean zone manager at International Rectifier.

NAPA Auto Parts
32625 Temecula Pkwy STE 130, Temecula, CA 92592

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Was that at Milhous' old place?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get oil Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You should of stopped using single weight oil, the current multi weight are better.

Depending on the condition of your engine you should use a 10-W30, 10-W40 or even a 20-W50 if you have a worn engine.

Moderator note:

Good luck with that Glenn😀 we have contingent around here that reads and follows lubrication specs written 50 plus years ago. It defies reason and logic as if technology has failed to make any progress
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: