Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

In need of some HELP.

I bought a Carry-Bike for my Eurovan and it was missing the rubber shock absorber on one side (where it folds down) - the Fiamma name for the part in total is a Bull Shock Absorber). I can't figure out how to get the old shock absorbers out (they are fixed in place with some kind of expansion pin that has flanges on either side of the tube the shock fits into. Do I cut the flanged pins off??

And then I don't know how to install the new ones. They have some sort of pin that I think I'll need to use a punch or a hammer on, but there are no instructions.

Here are photos of the replacement parts and the pins I need to figure out how to use. One should fit down into the center of the rubber shock (vertically into the tube) and I think the other one will fit horizontally tube to grab hold of the red part of the shock.

FTR - I understand how the black and red pieces fit together and how they fit into the tube - just now how to get the old flanged pins out and how to install the new pins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

close up of the pins

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

Start here, to learn how to install rivets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3k3_sbkyc

You got this.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

HeyCrutch posted over in vanagon forum too and he's going to borrow my rivet tool next week, getting it done.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
HeyCrutch posted over in vanagon forum too and he's going to borrow my rivet tool next week, getting it done.

Mike to my rescue. Been watching videos on rivet removal and installation. Thanks Samba!
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

Thanks to Westy66 for the sweet rack that he only charged me $100 for ... picked it up in Cleveland from him over the winter holidays after he responded to a post in the fall. (it even has a 3rd rail I can add). It took a while to get to it (it sat in a friends basement in Philly for a 30 days), but it's now its essentially a brand new rack (sans the bull shock bumpers that I will install tonight once I have a rivet gun - thanks to Mike from Asheville for helping figure that one out.)

Used SEM self etching primer and Rust-Oleum Matte Black Lacquer as the topcoat. With a few new parts that were needed, the cost of the paint, all-in I've got about $250 in the rack ... which goes for around $650 new/delivered these days (and that's still just the aluminum "color")

Last edited by HeyCrutch on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

Next job will be upgrading the tailgate struts to the 1200 nm versions ...
anyone know what length strut is correct for these EVCs?

Mine is a 1997 and it seems like I need one that is 28" (or 711 mm).

The 1200 nm struts advertised for T4s on eBay are shorter than 711 mm.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

I posted a write up on replacing my struts for a fiamma rack, but for an earlier model. I believe you may need a longer length but, the vendor I listed should still be a good source.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716412&highlight=
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Fiamma Carry Bike repair Reply with quote

Thanks Joshwa - your write up will provide helpful when I get ready to install.

In the meantime here are some photos of the riveting process that may help someone in the future

BTW - I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a Tool Library so I just went by there and borrowed their rivet tool/gun. And there was a guy there who helped me get passed the worry of cranking the gun several times until the pin (not the correct name) finally popped off.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: