Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

I know on the Klokkerholm panels you'd be silly to leave the black transit primer on - it normally comes off with a wire brush anyway so removing it is no hassle whatsoever Very Happy

But my replacement inner wings (needed because there's virtually nothing left of the originals except Bondo, fiberglass and layers of patches of varying quality) are in this funny green transit primer:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's extremely hard to remove (even a glancing blow from an angle grinder doesn't go all the way through!), and as I discovered by accident, normal primer adheres to it extremely well Embarassed

There doesn't seem to be much info on the parts supplier's website about whether this is transit primer or if it's applied over properly prepped metal (the panels seem nice quality, so it may have been prepped properly), so is it safe to leave it be and just put normal primer / stonechip paint over it where it can't be seen? It's going to take an enormous amount of work to remove it (it's tougher than the original paint!) so I'd sooner leave it be if possible, though I'll definitely be removing it on the bits you can see...

Anyone else had any experience with these green primer panels?
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

Where did you buy the panel from?
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

RA 70 wrote:
Where did you buy the panel from?

It was from a small company I've often used over here in the UK - https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/.

They say the panels are by "classic line", which is Jopex - https://www.jpgroupclassic.com/, however most of the repair panels on their site are done in the standard black transit paint, which is confusing.

Incidentally "classic line" panels seem to be much better made than the Klokkerholms, out of thicker steel and they're a pretty good match for the original part as far as I can tell (there's so little original metal intact at the front end of my Super it's hard to be 100% sure), and in this green paint stuff they're actually thicker than the few slivers of original, uncorroded metal I've come across.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

Since it is adhered to your metal so strongly, I'd sand it and see how well a good sealer would stick to it. I suspect it's an epoxy. If the sealer holds to it well.......... all that's left is to paint it! Good adhesion isn't usually cheap!
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
Since it is adhered to your metal so strongly, I'd sand it and see how well a good sealer would stick to it. I suspect it's an epoxy. If the sealer holds to it well.......... all that's left is to paint it! Good adhesion isn't usually cheap!

Thanks, sounds like a plan Thumbs Up

I'm still going to take it off the visible part though - all the side panels are going to need a respray (lots of new panels in there, including Klokkerholm door skins) so might as well get the same finish as the rest of the car.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

I bought heater channels by JP Group some years ago and they were in fact the DANSK brand. Maybe still the same. Better quality than Klokerholm but inferior to Klassic Fab. They were black.

I faced the same issue with Klassic Fab paint. It was extremely tough and hard to remove. I emailed KF and was advised by the to remove the green paint. I think this is a response by them to ensure they don’t get called out if there is any mismatch reaction with subsequent paint.

My suggestion is to contact the vendor/manufacturer and ask the question. If it were me I’d remove the paint and prepare it YOUR way. Then you have no doubts.

It seemed a shame to remove the paint on the KF but I only removed it from the visible sections.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

Here’s a link to my previous post, reply from KF.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766718&highlight=klassic+fab
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Here’s a link to my previous post, reply from KF.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766718&highlight=klassic+fab

Ooh, interesting, a quality UK parts supplier I didn't even know existed, and they sell parts direct (though bizarrely priced in USD rather than GBP) Smile Wish I'd known they existed before I replaced the wonky and already-rusting Klokkerholm rear 1/4 panel repairs with more Klokkerholms... Oh well, I'll know where to shop when they need replacing again in a few years Rolling Eyes

Doesn't look like the panels came from them since they don't do inner wings, but could well be the same type of paint. I might as well drop JP Group a message but not sure if they'll respond before I've welded the wing in - looks like they only sell to resellers. I noticed their panels are mostly black too, presumably they must get some or all in from 3rd parties, though they do say on their site they have different brands for different panel qualities.

Important Edit: Just been doing some reading around Zinc Chromate primer - it's got excellent adhesion and rust resistance out of the box without any need to prepare the surface, but it's a carcinogen associated with throat and lung cancer so you certainly don't want to be breathing in the dust when you sand it down Shocked
braol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

I'd only go down to clean metal if I were to weld it. Obviously you need to scuff it before painting, but it sounds like good stuff.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

braol wrote:
I'd only go down to clean metal if I were to weld it. Obviously you need to scuff it before painting, but it sounds like good stuff.

Hopefully so Smile

As I know from trying to weld an area which still had a tiny bit of paint on, it definitely needs to be removed before welding - it chars but doesn't bubble or burn, instead the weld pool flows around it.

I've emailed the parts supplier to see if they can shed any light on it, but in the mean time I'm definitely not planning to take any of that surface off, except on surfaces which need welding, and only when wearing a proper hazchem dust mask in the open air. If it's what I think it is it's definitely an excellent base coat - hard and rust resistant, but if it's potentially toxic I'm going to treat it with a lot of respect.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question about repair panels in green transit primer Reply with quote

Got a very quick reply from JP Group - it's just normal primer applied very well, so no need to worry about it being zinc chromate Thumbs Up

And even better, they have confirmed there's no need to remove the paint since it's properly applied primer and not transit paint Dancing

Think I'll be hunting down those primered Jopex panels again...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: