Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

Hi everybody….
I recently bought a ‘78 CE II, with the DPD ac system mounted by the sunvisors…I’m investigating and sorting things out, but I can’t find any USER manual for this system. I found the installation manual, and have read through a bunch of threads but I can’t seem to find out what the rocket switch in the center is for…
I know the two knobs are fan and temp controls, is the rocker switch how it turns on? I’ve been thinking that the system turns on by the fan switch but maybe I’m wrong.

I hope someone can clarify this for me…

Thanks
Eric
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

Instructions for Beetle: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/dpd_ac.php , different layout but same principle.

And the installation and service manual for a similar bus unit: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1979_bus_dpd_under_dash_ac.php

Both found in the Samba archives: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/heater_ac.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

I appreciate the response, but in my original post I stated that I had read the installation manual, but it does not mention the rocker switch. I also mentioned that this was not a “under dash unit”….the other instructions I had read already too….

So once again, I ask does anyone know the function of the rocker switch on the exact model of the ceiling mounted DPD ac unit? I figure the unit must turn on by rotation the fan knob, but I’m not sure. My unit does not have power right now so that’s why I’m in the dark…

Eric
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

Start poking switches and find out, I'm sure everything that's sensitive is fused or protected, you have nothing to lose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

post a pic of the engine bay. I would be surprised if the compressor was even still there.
I do admire your optimism at getting a 40+ year old AC working.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

If it is a 3 position switch, then the left position is for left fan only. The right position is right fan only and the center position is both fans. The on/off as well as the fan speed is controlled by the round fan knob. All the way counter clockwise is off, and each click clockwise is faster fan speed. The temp switch controls compressor cycling. All the way counter clockwise turns the compressor off all the time, while all the way clockwise is compressor on full time ( like the max cold setting on a modern car. A setting between the two just makes the compressor cycle on more or less often. Since these systems do not have blend doors to mix hot and cold air from outside the car ( like a modern car does) then turning the compressor on and off is is the only way to control temperature.
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me ‘78 bay window with DPD AC question Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
If it is a 3 position switch, then the left position is for left fan only. The right position is right fan only and the center position is both fans. The on/off as well as the fan speed is controlled by the round fan knob. All the way counter clockwise is off, and each click clockwise is faster fan speed. The temp switch controls compressor cycling. All the way counter clockwise turns the compressor off all the time, while all the way clockwise is compressor on full time ( like the max cold setting on a modern car. A setting between the two just makes the compressor cycle on more or less often. Since these systems do not have blend doors to mix hot and cold air from outside the car ( like a modern car does) then turning the compressor on and off is is the only way to control temperature.

Perfect!!! Thank you very much. That was EXACTLY the info I was looking for. I was very impressed with your thread, it’s what inspired me to get mine up and running.

Eric
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: