Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine tune up and reconditioning
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

I have a (new) 1979 Westfalia with the Type4 2.0L engine. I just bought it. AFAIK, the engine is all stock. It's sat for about 4 years previously. It started fine with a new battery and sounded good. It did a decent job of driving around a small suburban block but the road speed didn't let me get further than third gear.

I had a list prepared of what I'd need to give it a decent tune up. Obviously, new oil, trans oil, belt, HT leads, and spark plugs.

Also on the list was distributor cap, points, rotor, and condenser.

I'd like some advice on the last bunch of things. Should I buy them, or get electronic ignition instead? I'm asking because I always hear classic car guys talking about having to 'adjust the points again'. What's better? What's more reliable? Is the cost of one significantly more than the other? Any other considerations I haven't mentioned?

Much thanks, Sambas!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

The problem with the electronic points replacements is they are not as reliable as the OE ones used on production cars. And when they fail the engine just stops running with no warning.

With points, they usually give a warning.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

plenty of reading material, and much debate.

i’ve had pertronix for years. course, i’ve a spare distributor with mechanical points under the rear seat just in case.

happy reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
With points, they usually give a warning.

Good point !
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Okay. I'm understanding the electronic work until they don't (rather digital) and points usually go wrong more slowly and I'll probably make it home (more analog).

Good to know. Thank you.

But given that the engine runs now, and I can just stash the old points in the bus as an emergency 'get home' kit, recommendations on which way to go?

Thanks
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

DodgerTom That’s a LONG readers list. Shocked

I got halfway down page one and found “electronic ignition not recommended with 2.0L FI engine” from Petronix. It started to get technical, but it seems that the old-style FI expects the signals from a points system.

So it seems points play nicer with the other engine bits, cheaper, easier to troubleshoot.

Thank you for all the help. Much appreciated. Now to figure out how to install the parts…
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

I just went to my Doctor, gave me six months to live.

Couldn’t pay his bill, he gave me another six months.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Bosch points are junk (unless they have improved them since I last bought a set), so run something else. I run Echlin ventilated points and when PROPERLY installed and adjusted get 20K miles out of them without having to touch them again. Fail to use distributor cam lube or set them wrong to start with and their life can be very short. Running with bad wires and ancient/badly gapped plugs will shorten point life as well. Too tight a point gap can also burn the points quickly. New points should be set at .018-.020" to minimize arching. You can't set used points all that accurately with a feeler gauge, but new points are very easy to set that way, especially with the distributor removed from the engine. Wipe any oil and grease off the feeler gauge before use. You aren't running a V8 at 5000 rpms so maximizing dwell isn't super important.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bosch points are junk

Use SMP points.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

78 stock FI Westy. Installed petronix ignitor several years ago. Worked well & I enjoyed no point adjustment and rock solid timing. After three or so years developed a hot start problem. Would always start but lots of starter time. Had my stock dizzy rebuilt, no change.
Went back to points and problem solved.
Bill @ Sparkwerks doesn’t like Pertronics.
When I used Pertronics I bought a second original dizzy that I installed new points, condenser & cap, test ran it on the engine & kept a mounting clamp on it so it’s timed properly if I have to use it on the side of the road.
My theory on spare parts, if you have it with you, you’ll never need it! Worked well for me over 15 yrs & 30k+ miles.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Ignitor 1 - yes : simple, reliable, about 5 components.
Ignitor 2 - no: complex, less reliable, about 25 components.

Just like modern cars. Watching a neighbour yesterday unable to drive his car because of a warning a Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensor had failed, it was telling him he had a flat while the tire was obviously still inflated the same as the the other three on his 2022 car.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Thank you all. Very helpful replies.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
78 stock FI Westy. Installed petronix ignitor several years ago. Worked well & I enjoyed no point adjustment and rock solid timing. After three or so years developed a hot start problem. Would always start but lots of starter time. Had my stock dizzy rebuilt, no change.
Went back to points and problem solved.
Bill @ Sparkwerks doesn’t like Pertronics.
When I used Pertronics I bought a second original dizzy that I installed new points, condenser & cap, test ran it on the engine & kept a mounting clamp on it so it’s timed properly if I have to use it on the side of the road.
My theory on spare parts, if you have it with you, you’ll never need it! Worked well for me over 15 yrs & 30k+ miles.

the L-jet FI system was deigned to use the electronic waveform that is created when the points close and open as the baseline to make the FI system work. As electronic components age, it is possible that the ECU could no longer understand the waveform coming from the electronic ignition but it still understood the waveform from the stock ignition. That is one of the risks of converting to an electronic ignition when using L-Jet.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Bosch points are junk

Use SMP points.

Give us a clickable link where we can buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Bosch points are junk

Use SMP points.

Give us a clickable link where we can buy them.

Echlin is made by SMP. The last time I tried to buy SMP ventilated points for a VW I was told they were not available any more so I moved to Echlin and bought a supply of their heavy duty ventilated points. Echlin is a NAPA house brand.

https://www.b4usa.com/echlin/

Maybe Glenn knows something I don't know here.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

what Mike said. Or Ebay has old stock SMP all the time that come up.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

I am not going to list part #'s because though they "should" still be the same since my NAPA/SMP points ID thread....they may not be the same.

But the technical and identification for what SMP has and sells through NAPA still holds true.

Scroll down on the first page of this link and I have pictures of all the variants and series of NAPA points and part #'s that were current in 2017.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659700&highlight=blue+streak

There is also good info in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687658

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

Points are better, as far as the carbed buses, I haven't driven a FI bus in a decade, nice, & maybe digital works there, but points get the job done, with attention to the center of the distributor, oiling the felt to keep oil vapor from rising from the case into the distributor interior. Inspecting the carbon button & spring in the cap, applying the pencil-lead sized lube to the lobes so the rubbing block is allowed to live a full life. Do that, keep decent gaps in plugs, points go 14-15k between change outs, at that time, you usually need to swap a torn CV boot or two, plus re adjust the clutch cable, rear brake shoe stars, etc.
Buses were designed a long time ago, so be ready for the maintenance.
A solid-state digital ignition module won't change that.
edit: the points 'failure mode' is the gap closing up, leading to longer crank time to catch & run. It is a simple symptom, easy to recognize. And when it starts happening, you've got weeks, if not a month+, to take action & remedy it. : )
Gotta love Kettering (points) ignition. easy to live with. no surprises.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

I have had points just up and die
once the rub block fell off
once the points cracked the metal of the 'spring body'

so anything can and will leave you stranded if you don't
#1 know where & how to check/diagnose
#2 carry a spare part and tools so you can R&R on the shoulder of the road.
or
#3 carry a phone & AAA card... this is the method for many.

had a VW bus friend (they've owned it for 10+yrs) call me coming back from BBtB. bus died and won't restart, but then does start and dies right away.... any ideas? I live 3,ooo miles away.
ok was running ok, and now it's not? yep
ok will start but after alot of work and won't stay running? Yep
ok, you have more than 1/4 tank gas? yep
ok maybe an intake hose popped loose.."wouldn't know where to look"
ok, you have AAA? Yep.
ok call them and you'll be home by dark....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine tune up and reconditioning Reply with quote

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHCS313P?impressionRank=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: