Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan Healey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend VW mechanics around the New York City area? Preferably within 1-hour driving time or in the city itself? Much obliged!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.T. Precision Imports, Inc.
190A Margaretta Ave.
Massapequa, New York 11758
1-516-799-1100

Ask for Tony, he'll do you right.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony's the man.

Give him a call.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonathan Healey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Tony's the man.

Give him a call.

This is just a follow-up to say, "Yes! Indeed, Tony is the man!" I brought my Westy to Tony 2-weeks ago and he remedied a leaking coolant hose (#31) in 2-days. His prices are fair; however, Ken @ Vanagain.com is about 2/3 of the price. But Ken is 3-hours (in 1-direction) from NYC. For those of you in NYC, it's an easy to locale to get to and from via the LIRR's South Shore line. It's about an 1-hour train ride in 1-direction. Perfect for dropping off and picking up. Tony will even take to or from the train station. I plan returning my car to Tony so he can fix my A/C, soon.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MightyChin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other recent NYC area recommendations for vanagon familiar mechanics?

Anyone familiar with Bruno's Volks/Audi in Middle Village?
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also dennis Haynes on Long Island. He is a member of the vanagon.com list. I can look for his contact information if you want.
Its almost worth the drive to Ken at Vanagain.com as he would
have the knowledge and parts to solve just about any Vanagon problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MightyChin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four hour round trip is a little heavy for day-to-day repairs and maintenance assistance. Sounds like a go to guy for bigger restoration projects. Right now I'm looking for someone in the city to help me get my ride rolling.

Fwiw it's a 91 carat, RWD manual trans. Just brought it up from Texas. Drivable but needs work. Looking to fix it up into a sweet boulevard cruiser - city boy, no country camper (sleeping in a tent is fine with me). Engine is the first thing that seems to need attention.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct reccos, on this, but the VW community might.

As always, checking the peer reviewed shops at roadhaus.com is a fine place to start looking for a mechanic anywhere in the US and Canada:

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops.php

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An enthusiastic additional thumbs up for Dennis Haynes. He is in the phone book in Bohemia, Long Island.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

I noticed this post is from a while ago. Are these guys still around?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

Ken definitely is, not sure but presume Dennis might be, too.

Ken is great, don't know Dennis well but he seems very cool.

Samba user Wonderinman has a NY mechanic he loves and trusts. Try PMing him and if that doesn't work please PM me and I'll ask him.

(not a great time as he's leaving Brooklyn for the West soon)

Edit: I just PMed you numbers for both Ken and Dennis.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

This is the battle...

Depends on the work you need done. Locally, not a go to that I have found yet. I know one highly referred mechanic that is a Vanagon enthusiast but I can’t comment on him knowing the intricacies - he will work on them. He is in Jersey City. Depending what you need done Pm me. I’m relatively proficient and there are 4-5 of us in the nyc direct area that do our own maintenance items.

Kevin Mayer at vanagonrepair.com in philly is an option. I put a comprehensive list of east coast Vanagon mechnics together once. I can email it to you if you Pm me. Shoot me a message with the things you’re looking to have someone do and I can likely point you to who I’d go to

Last edited by Marshj on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

There Are options just outside the city as well..

Pegasus Bug Shop in Linden, NJ ( just south of EWR Airport ).
Alix in Millersville, NY
There is a VW repair shop in Liberty Ny, that always has 3-4 Vanagons out front.. I always honk when going to the Catskills through liberty.
I have a local mechanic who does brakes and suspension on my Vanagon in Oakland, Nj

Truly Van specific things I head to Kevin in Philly for - AFM readjust / fuel issue, new clutch, gas tank reseal. Kevin ONLY works on Vanagons. Similar to Ken W at Vanagon - he is in Millville, NJ

There are more options. I’ll add some as I think of them. But truly someone in the city, not yet discovered...
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

Andrew Flint is 2.5 hours away, in East Nassau. Yep, that’s a bit of a trek, but certainly easier than the 3,000+ miles he is from me! Whether in business, or my silly Vanagon obsession, I have never worked with someone who could match Andrew’s decency and integrity.
Some people call him Maurice...
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

How oh how can we find a place within NYC reach to house and work on our Vanagon?!?! I fantasize about a warehouse sanctuary for us folks with projects in my area. I’ve had eyes open for space that would work with little luck, the real estate market is sucking up all the abandoned stuff because the land is so valuable.

I’m in Jersey City / Hoboken, van is parked out of town and now being neglected Sad maybe something to do with a newborn. I digress...

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Andrew Flint is 2.5 hours away, in East Nassau. Yep, that’s a bit of a trek, but certainly easier than the 3,000+ miles he is from me! Whether in business, or my silly Vanagon obsession, I have never worked with someone who could match Andrew’s decency and integrity.

Give me a ping if you are up atAndresws as I can run you to/ from his place to Amtrak from the summer office during the week.

Its2:15 on Amtrak to Manhattan fir about $40
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

Freccia Brothers in Greenwich CT is an air cooled specialty shop that will also work on Vanagon wbx engines. Extremely down to earth and helpful guys that know what they are doing.

Take metro north back to the city once you’ve dropped off your car and it’s a 5 minute walk.

246 West Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT 06830
(203)-869-2334
https://m.facebook.com/FrecciaBrothersGarage/
nohabusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:

Alix in Millersville, NY

I think this is Alex in Millerton, NY. His shop is The Motorworks.
Alex is my go to guy, and he is worth the drive and the wait. He can run down pretty much any Gremlin that others can’t, and find other issues along the way and present them to you for consideration without any fear of trying to rob your bank account. He does all sorts of European cars, and has a few guys that work at the shop with him. He used to own a Vanagon Westy Syncro, so he was all in to help me with mine for the last number of years. Although he will help with an emergency etc., you have to schedule an appointment well in advance for any major work and be patient if things take longer. I drop my Vanagon off, and take Metro North from the Wassaic station back to NYC.
1990 Doka Syncro (WBX 2.1)
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Healey wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Tony's the man.

Give him a call.

This is just a follow-up to say, "Yes! Indeed, Tony is the man!" I brought my Westy to Tony 2-weeks ago and he remedied a leaking coolant hose (#31) in 2-days. His prices are fair; however, Ken @ Vanagain.com is about 2/3 of the price. But Ken is 3-hours (in 1-direction) from NYC. For those of you in NYC, it's an easy to locale to get to and from via the LIRR's South Shore line. It's about an 1-hour train ride in 1-direction. Perfect for dropping off and picking up. Tony will even take to or from the train station. I plan returning my car to Tony so he can fix my A/C, soon.

Thanks!

Re GT Precision, if I am in the area I can help with transportation to and/or from the train to the shop.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC-Area VW Westy Mechanics? Reply with quote

nohabusguy wrote:
Marshj wrote:

Alix in Millersville, NY

I think this is Alex in Millerton, NY. His shop is The Motorworks.
Alex is my go to guy, and he is worth the drive and the wait. He can run down pretty much any Gremlin that others can’t, and find other issues along the way and present them to you for consideration without any fear of trying to rob your bank account. He does all sorts of European cars, and has a few guys that work at the shop with him. He used to own a Vanagon Westy Syncro, so he was all in to help me with mine for the last number of years. Although he will help with an emergency etc., you have to schedule an appointment well in advance for any major work and be patient if things take longer. I drop my Vanagon off, and take Metro North from the Wassaic station back to NYC.

Yes! Have not been but we spent :20 on the phone discussing a subaru conversion and he came highly highly referred
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: