Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator shaft length question, fan end
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

I went to assemble my new alternator to the backing plate and fan and the oem nut only has 3 threads engagement on the shaft after spacing the fan out from the backing plate the correct distance, about 1.8-2.0mm. measuring from the shaft spacer collar to the shaft end I get about 30mm shaft length. Is the correct length or should it be longer? I never ran into this problem before. The fan is a new Berg item for the dog house shroud and the alternator is EMPI 00-9445-7.
Any ideas? Anyone got a shaft length measurement?
Thanks, Marty
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

Wish I could help. Mine is currently installed. I bought a Compufire 90 amp alternator from CIP1.
It fit perfectly with my stock doghouse fan. The supposedly balanced and welded fan I also bought from CIP1 was neither square nor round and the dish was wrong. Needless to say, that got returned.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Wish I could help. Mine is currently installed. I bought a Compufire 90 amp alternator from CIP1.
It fit perfectly with my stock doghouse fan. The supposedly balanced and welded fan I also bought from CIP1 was neither square nor round and the dish was wrong. Needless to say, that got returned.

Thank you for the info. I hope my Berg fan has the correct dish. I don't have another fan or alternator to compare measurements as the ones I have are also installed.
Any more seems we have to suspect every part and supplier. Hopefully someone can provide measurements of the shaft length and the fan dish would be helpful.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
I went to assemble my new alternator to the backing plate and fan and the oem nut only has 3 threads engagement on the shaft after spacing the fan out from the backing plate the correct distance, about 1.8-2.0mm. measuring from the shaft spacer collar to the shaft end I get about 30mm shaft length. Is the correct length or should it be longer? I never ran into this problem before. The fan is a new Berg item for the dog house shroud and the alternator is EMPI 00-9445-7.
Any ideas? Anyone got a shaft length measurement?
Thanks, Marty
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That shaft length looks about right, doesn't look obviously wrong to me.

How many shims did you have to use to keep it from rubbing? I'd say if you're having to use more than 3 or so, there's something jacked up with either the backing plate or the fan that you're using.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
yinnawagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

Bosch generator = 35.03mm

chineesium alt = 30.88 mm
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

Damn, 5mm what's the pulley end?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

yinnawagon wrote:
Bosch generator = 35.03mm

chineesium alt = 30.88 mm

That is what I figured the measurement differences would be. That extra 5mm is the distance I need to make it correct. If I use this Chinese alternator I would have to use so many shims that the hub would barely engage with the hub flats on the fan. And only have 3 full threads engagement into the shaft nut. So I will be sending the alternator back.

Another question I have is what is the back spacing or dish on the oem fan? I have a new Berg welded and balance fan and want to compare it with the oem fan.

Thank you for the help!
Marty

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

I have an older Bosch AL82 on hand, the shaft measurement as shown above is 30.0 mm. This alt has been installed and works fine with stock parts. It seems the shaft length is not your problem.

Did you torque the fan nut? If not, it will go on quite a few threads more when the bent lock washer is compressed flat.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
I have an older Bosch AL82 on hand, the shaft measurement as shown above is 30.0 mm. This alt has been installed and works fine with stock parts. It seems the shaft length is not your problem.

Did you torque the fan nut? If not, it will go on quite a few threads more when the bent lock washer is compressed flat.

Thank you for replying. Yes I did torque the nut down. I am beginning to think the Berg fan may have to much dish or back spacing. It has 15mm back spacing.
Hoping someone can measure the back spacing on their oem dog house style fan and post what the measurement is.

Marty

motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

Can someone please measure the back spacing or "dish" on their oem dog house style fan and post what the measurement is. The side that faces the alternator or backing plate. This would be a big help trying to solve this problem.

Marty

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

i get about .495 ( didnt have my glasses on )
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: alternator shaft length question, fan end Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
i get about .495 ( didnt have my glasses on )

Thank you, that is about 12.5mm. Thank you very much for the response.
Talked to a friend today on the phone and he got the same measurement on his oem fan. So that is 2.5mm difference in backspacing compared to my recently purchased Berg welded fan. I will be shipping the fan back to Gene Berg. The 2.5 mm difference adds up to all the extra shims I have to use to get the fan to backing plate clearance spec correct.

Marty

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: