Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Hey folks. We're planning a trip to British Columbia this summer, including a visit to Bella Coola. The road into Bella Coola includes a notorious hill with grades of up to 15 per cent and numerous switchbacks, descending 5,000 feet over a distance of about 20 kilometres (12 miles). And it's gravel!
Has anybody done this road in a Eurovan camper? How did it handle? Did you go up or down or both?
Mine is a 1995, 5-cylinder, 5-speed manual transmission, no ABS.
Any wisdom would be much appreciated!

Last edited by squashmeister on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Not exactly the same, but I did the California 108 Sonora Pass in my 95 EVC with 5 speed. The grade at some places exceeds 25 percent and the highest point is about 9,600 feet. In the steepest section, I was in 1st gear barely crawling at 10 mph. Also the coolant temp reached pretty high and had to cool down at one point. Given I made that, I am thinking that you would be okay. One thing to note, keep the pace slow in downhill section using the engine braking. I noticed the brakes overheating and loosing grips at some sections.

One thing though... Sonora pass was very lightly traveled and there really was no vehicles behind me. If Bella Coola is a busy road, then it may get your heart rate going. Godspeed.
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, were you going up or down the Sonora Pass?
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, were you going up or down the Sonora Pass?
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

I have a '92 Eurovan CV - the Canadian full camper, short wheelbase, converted by Westfalia - with a 5 speed manual. Loaded for our spring of 2019 trip from Nova Scotia to San Diego, Hamilton, Montana, then home, it was not light in weight and we did not take our bikes or rack. We drove through many mountainous areas and passes, slowed down significantly on steep grades in lower gears, and used the engine and brakes on descents. The engine did not overheat, but did rise a bit above normal temperatures (I have an aux. dial temp gauge). We had a thorough inspection of the van and fixed or upgraded a lot to give us confidence we'd have a trouble free trip. We changed oil during the trip and did other maintenance as required (transmission bushings, new shocks, alignment).

Overall, I was pleased with how well the van handled the mountains. Certainly, it could not maintain speed climbing and I'm sure drivers behind us were not pleased with our progress at times, but it was safe and doable. In April, May, and June we were not driving in the hottest time of year in the US west, although camping at Lake Mead in +30C (+80F) temps was unexpected.

Have you been able to find any threads on adventure rider motorcycle sites or 4WD overlander sites with tails of traveling the Bella Coola road? There might be some info buried there that would give you more insight into what to expect.

The good thing about gravel is that you won't be trying to maintain high highway speeds, which should be easier on the Eurovan.

Hopefully, one or more of the BC owners of CVs like mine may have something to add here. Sounds like a great trip.

1992 Eurovan CV - The Canadian full camper by Westfalia
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

That Hill you're referring to is called Freedom Hill. I believe it actually has a couple switchbacks that are 21*. I've driven it. It's both breath taking and breath taking Laughing

Bella Coola and it's valley is quite beautiful. Lots of areas to hike, fish and camp.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

squashmeister wrote:

What goes up, must come down! Wink up and down.
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your responses so far. Quick question for CdnVWJunkie: what vehicle did you do The Hill in and was it going up or down?
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Camper to Bella Coola, BC Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your responses so far. Quick question for CdnVWJunkie: what vehicle did you do The Hill in and was it going up or down?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: