Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwjacks2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

Got my propane tank filled yesterday on my 1984 Westfalia. I was not paying attention and the attendant filled it and did not use the bleeder valve. When he turned off the propane the propane from my tank seemed flow out of my tank and bleed out of their system. He put the yellow cap on the fill valve and said I was good to go. Never had a propane tank fill problem before.

Today, if I loosen the yellow cap propane leaks out. Is my fill valve not closing properly and needs to be replaced? Or is this what happens when the propane tank is overfilled? If overfill is the problem can you point me to steps to resolve?

Thanks,

-Riley
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

park the van outside, engine stove frig off, and away from anything. then open the 80% bleed valve to see what comes out. if it is liquid, keep it open until only vapor comes out. if it is just vapor, then your fill valve should be replaced.

you'll need some well insulated, preferably rubber coated gloves to shut the valve off!!!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rwjacks2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

Thanks. Yep, need to replace fill valve. This looks like the right valve, correct? https://www.rvupgradestore.com/1-3-4-M-Acme-x-3-4-...VGEALw_wcB

Half the price from westy shop.

Thanks,

-Riley
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

that's the one i used... be aware that this does not meet the current standard for a fill-stop valve, which some astute propane places may notice, but it is dead reliable. i discuss this here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591279&postorder=desc

www.thefixitworkshop.com
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

I’ve seen 2 types of fill nozzles. One threads around the vanagon fill valve and pressure opens the valve seat to fill. The other type is bayonet style and threads into the vanagon valve. This style depresses the valve seat physically. When the bayonet style removal time to time does not let the valve seat squarely and you get some leakage. I’ve been able to depress the seat in the vanagon fill valve with a screwdriver or needle nose and it will seat square and stop the leak.
rwjacks2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

Swapped out the fill valve over the weekend.
1) Sprayed with penetrating oil.
2) Removed the bleeder valve to get clearance needed.
3) Use a 18" crescent wrench and hammer to loosen.

Took a while to get it loose. Replaced with the Marshall Excelsior ME601-6 1-3/4" M.Acme x 3/4" MNPT Double Check Fill Valve. Got tank filled and all is well. Very Happy

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Overfilled propane tank or bad fill valve? Reply with quote

you'll like that valve a lot! no stress fillups. just remember that it is NOT auto-stop, not currently compliant, and requires the 80% vent to be open when filling. all easy.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: