Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you use panel bond?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Haven't seen anyone doing their inner nose repair like this on here and just wanted y'alls thoughts on it. Especially Skillz

Link

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

one of the panels on my bus was tacked in place then finished with some 3m stuff. I wasn't happy with the idea until I researched it and found it is used in many cars today. it will be harder to remove than spot welds - but the surfaces have to be prepped right. You won't get two chances.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

prepped right, and the metal will fail before the adhesive will.
edit-Hey! SGKent got a shout out in the youtube vid. you are such a helpful guy. thanks for passing it along.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I made my own patch panels and did this the hard way. The easiest part of the whole thing was welding the thin piece to the thick section under it with big fat plug welds. That is about the only part of it where I would consider panel bond.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
prepped right, and the metal will fail before the adhesive will.
edit-Hey! SGKent got a shout out in the youtube vid. you are such a helpful guy. thanks for passing it along.

That's my hope! I don't see why the adhesive would fail in this situation. Also SGKent and everyone on this forum have been super helpful.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
prepped right, and the metal will fail before the adhesive will

i'm pretty sure Lord Fusor (e.g. sales reps) would show shops some demo of their product vs a full weld where they pulled the two apart on a machine and showed how the material itself failed before the adhesive did.

as weird as it might seem to glue stuff together instead of weld, it should actually be better than a weld... if done properly

i had the pleasure of hanging out with the Polestar (volvo innovation subsidiary) design/engineering team recently .. and they were super excited about the extensive use of aluminum extrusions and adhesives throughout a lot of stuff they were working on .. and felt it was better than welding in many applications since you could also apply it in areas that would not be physically accessible to weld .. those guys know what they are doing and aren't afraid of new unconventional approaches ..

but, it does require a little bit of a leap of faith to glue a car together. it's common practice now... e.g. bmw ... also commercial truck bodies have been using it in lieu of welding/fasteners.

the technology is there.
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I used it to patch the floors in my bus years ago and have had zero issues with it.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I've used fusor panel adhesive on a number of projects. I did some test pcs that impressed me. 1x1 square steel tube glued to to another pc at a 90 degree. 1 inch square glue surface area. Clamped one side in a vise, the other was about a foot long. Couldn't break it by hand. After a bunch of blows with a 5 lb hammer finally broke it free after it bent quite a ways. I made a very large brushed stainless valance over a cooking range that was a tube steel framework with a stainless sheet glued to it, benefit was no weld distortions, no fasteners, attaching dissimilar metals. On our vans a benefit is a waterproof seam. I'd say go for it.
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Look at the video on the MunroLive YouTube channel where they take apart either a new Rivian or new Tesla that had its body put together with panel adhesive. They could not separate the panels at the seams!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

i wonder if local FLAPS has the dispense gun on the loan a tool program? I would hate to buy that thing just to sit in the garage untouched ever again. maybe a used ebay purchase.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I am planning to use this to patch a hole in the floor of a car I have, and I'm not sure if I should apply it to bare metal, prime, or POR-15 the metal first.

I'm thinking it would stick better to bare metal, but I want to reduce the risk of rust in future.

Thoughts?
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
I am planning to use this to patch a hole in the floor of a car I have, and I'm not sure if I should apply it to bare metal, prime, or POR-15 the metal first.

I'm thinking it would stick better to bare metal, but I want to reduce the risk of rust in future.

Thoughts?

Data sheets, data sheets, data sheets. Laughing
Bare metal, 36 grit scratch from a roloc disc. Just remember, these cars weren't meant to be put together with bonding adhesive like new cars and it DOES have its weaknesses. In a perfect world you could use both.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Data sheets, data sheets, data sheets. Laughing
Bare metal, 36 grit scratch from a roloc disc. Just remember, these cars weren't meant to be put together with bonding adhesive like new cars and it DOES have its weaknesses. In a perfect world you could use both.

Thanks Smile
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

pandamanda22 wrote:
Especially Skillz

Don't people read the fucking instructions anymore? it's for NON STRUCTURAL REPAIRS

so would I use it in this application? fuck no

this stuff is for gluing SKINS on, not structural parts.

yea, but...but..but...

you asked. I wouldn't have used it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

there is structural adhesive as well, skills
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/structural-adhesives/

typically used in conjunction with rivets, spot welds or mechanical fasteners
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
pandamanda22 wrote:
Especially Skillz

Don't people read the fucking instructions anymore? it's for NON STRUCTURAL REPAIRS

so would I use it in this application? fuck no

this stuff is for gluing SKINS on, not structural parts.

yea, but...but..but...

you asked. I wouldn't have used it

The man has spoken!
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
there is structural adhesive as well, skills
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/structural-adhesives/

typically used in conjunction with rivets, spot welds or mechanical fasteners

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't see volkswagen there Sad Looks like my bus is going to explode
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

My battery tray was through in the center, but still had enough of a lip on that I was able to remove the center, leave 1/2" of the spot-welded edge, and trim up my replacement to sit on top of the original spot-welded lip, and was adhered in place by 3M adhesive. Since it had a fat Group 48 battery sitting on top of it, I didn't even bother doing a mechanical connection between the lip and the repair patch. The battery is bolted down, and unless you looked carefully, you wouldn't find evidence that this wasn't stock.

I appreciate the idea of the new style adhesives, but Skillz is right about using the right tool for the job.

M
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

That particular section is welded to the A pillars and the top of the deformation panel. The back of the deformation panel is welded to the frame legs. Both pieces of the deformation panel are like 2mm thick. I would call that structural. Ask me how I know.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1916914.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1903202.jpg
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Using panel bonding adhesive for inner nose valence repair Reply with quote

I used that panel adhesive without the gun. I put sockets in the back end that were equal in height & then just pushed on the sockets at the same time. No problem. Unless you use that adhesive often, there is no reason for the gun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: