Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Sunbug Sunroof (not super)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marks_Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: 1974 Sunbug Sunroof (not super) Reply with quote

New member here- first time posting (Be patient...)

Hi all! I just acquired my fourth AC Beetle and fifth VW. I've been doing a bunch of small repairs to get her roadworthy. My current project is the sunroof. I like to think I've "done my homework" and searched and scoured both this forum and the interweb and can't find a solution to my issue:

The cables are all gummed up with old grease and decades of dust/dirt so I need to remove/clean/lube/reinstall. I've replaced the rear felt seal; purchased the rear rubber seal, and ordered the front felt seal. The gear is slipping (probably because of the gummed-up-ness...) so I got a new one.

Here's the thing: by all accounts it looks like a relatively simple job- pop the headliner panel off from the 5 clips at the front and slide panel forward and the roof panel aft (I'm a sailor, too!) and then pop the headliner panel out the top- easy peasy right? But the headliner panel will only slide 3/4 of the way out from under the roof panel and jams. What am I doing wrong??

Others owned- 1959 Beetle, 1959 Beetle, 1969 Beetle, 1971 Type 3, 1978 Bus
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Sunbug Sunroof (not super) Reply with quote

I think you're not using a big enough hammer.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marks_Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Sunbug Sunroof (not super) Reply with quote

Just thought I'd follow up on this post.

The headliner panel is supposed to slide forward out from under the roof panel and then, with a little flexing, pop out the top of the car. The headliner panel also has a wire that runs along the back inside edge that holds the headliner taught onto the panel.

The end of this wire got bent upward somehow to the point that it hooked the under side of the roof panel. The only solution was to take the whole sunroof assembly- cables, rails and panels- out together and take them apart. (and straighten out the wire...)

Marks_Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Sunbug Sunroof (not super) Reply with quote

Following up on this 'Sunroof saga'- I cleaned up the cables, channels, tubes etc. Lubricated with a little white lithium grease. Re-installed with a new crank gear but the gear still slips on the cables. I had noticed the cables showed some wear but hoped a new crank gear would solve the problem.

So off to the parts supplier (WW) I went to order new cables. I ordered all new plastic parts while I was at it. I read another post about problems with the plastic slider but I didn't have that issue. But I did have one minor problem- the cable jammed in the "J" tubes!

With closer inspection it wasn't the cable jamming just the loose end. Apparently in production the ferrule (the cap on the end of the cable) gets clamped on and it 'squished' against the spring coils and spread the coil apart so that it was bigger than the rest of the cable:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's almost imperceptable but I put a grinding wheel on my dremel and ground down the first couple coils slightly and it solved the problem! I hope this helps somebody.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: