Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhodge00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Good morning!

Background... I had a "local" VW guy replace my pans shortly after getting my "survivor" '66 (was sitting in a driveway for 20-25 years). He did a great job as far as I could tell but...

Taking the body off again to strip and remove all the other items for resto and I missed one bolt on the floor pan (near the front pass side). As I was lifting the body, I hear a tear and set it back down to investigate. That's when I noticed the bolt and the pan spot welds separated about 1/3 of the way around, front to back. I removed the bolt and took the body the rest of the way off.

1) Should there have been a seam weld to go along with the spot welds? (asking as I truly don't know)
2) What would be the best way to put this back together? Clean the metal and re-spot weld the areas that came off? Should I seam weld the pan back into place afterwards?

1st project and taking my time (really beating myself up about the missed bolt as well).
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Based on the description, it sounds like his welds were a little cold. The factory pans are spot welded, and when replicating this with (spot/ tack/ rosette) welds you must have the voltage set high enough to get good penetration into the base metal. If you don't, the welds often pop as you have described.
So moving forward, can you have him correct the work? Seam welding the entire length is overkill, but you could do short stitch welds spaced at 2". Be sure to seam seal the edge top and bottom so the repair lasts, and good luck!
mhodge00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Based on the description, it sounds like his welds were a little cold. The factory pans are spot welded, and when replicating this with (spot/ tack/ rosette) welds you must have the voltage set high enough to get good penetration into the base metal. If you don't, the welds often pop as you have described.
So moving forward, can you have him correct the work? Seam welding the entire length is overkill, but you could do short stitch welds spaced at 2". Be sure to seam seal the edge top and bottom so the repair lasts, and good luck!

Thanks for the info! Maybe not him repair it but yes. I can have it looked at but another person. I may be able to get my hands on a spot welder myself and work it also.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle Reply with quote

mhodge00 wrote:
I may be able to get my hands on a spot welder myself and work it also.

A spot welder may not be necessary. Mig welders are a lot more common than spot welders and you can get a small mig welder fairly cheaply. Drill a series of holes in one panel, one where you want each "spot" weld to be and weld the two panels together through the holes. You'll need some sort of support on each side of the work area to keep the panels tight together. This is how I replaced the floor pan in my car (not a VW though).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mhodge00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid floor pan mistake - 66 Beetle Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
mhodge00 wrote:
I may be able to get my hands on a spot welder myself and work it also.

A spot welder may not be necessary. Mig welders are a lot more common than spot welders and you can get a small mig welder fairly cheaply. Drill a series of holes in one panel, one where you want each "spot" weld to be and weld the two panels together through the holes. You'll need some sort of support on each side of the work area to keep the panels tight together. This is how I replaced the floor pan in my car (not a VW though).

Agree. I have a MIG so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: