Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

..50 years ago the owners manual of a car showed you how to adjust the valves. Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..

My parents went bankrupt at least twice; I'm retired and Mrs. Cusser and I are financially secure. Does that make me smarter????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
..50 years ago the owners manual of a car showed you how to adjust the valves. Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery.

But it's so fizzy!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I lived in places with no or little TV growing up, and so read a lot. Took way to many English Lit classes in HS, and same in college, as I could rip through assigned reading with ease, it was all low hanging fruit while I was studying architecture.

I later inherited a book my grandfather had a a kid, a circa 1915 boy flyers adventure tangling with the dreaded Hun, and read it to my boys when they were about 10 and 12.

There was vocabulary in the boy flyer book I had to look up...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I don't think I'm smarter than previous generations but I'm smarter than ensuing generations. They are regressing thanks to less focus on the 3 Rs & more on other foolishness.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Compare these editions and tell me what the expectations are for young men now...

1959:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

I saw this same thing word for word as a Facebook meme.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Compare these editions and tell me what the expectations are for young men now...

1959:

2016:

the edition i had was identical to the previous editions, i shudder to think what the new edition has in it. call me crazy but i had a great time in scouts , dad nad brother both made eagle i got to Life and crapped out. but man did i learn a lot of really cool stuff! had old hippies for scoutmasters...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

That’s f**** sig stuff right there….
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Two weeks ago my wife called saying there's a yellow light on the dash. i asked her what it looks like, winds up being the low pressure sensor. Told her to push the "I" button on the steering wheel, she does and it says "low tire pressure". Tell her to to push either button to the left or right and it will toggle the display and it will display the tire pressure in each tire. She says the rear right says "0". I ask her how long has it been on, she says 15 minutes.

Luckily only the tire was damaged, the rim was OK.

She says "the car is smart", I tell her "at least one of you are".

Needless to say that didn't go over well.

RTFM

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

This doesn't tell me people are dumber, it tells me people who are 50 and over are too litigious.

In some cases. A lot of times it's valid. For instance, lawsuits that resulted in increased safety measures.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

This doesn't tell me people are dumber, it tells me people who are 50 and over are too litigious.

In some cases. A lot of times it's valid. For instance, lawsuits that resulted in increased safety measures.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

i certainly do not for a second believe that people are dumber either. we have always been and probably always will be as dumb and smart as we are today. i agree it says more about how people have become increasingly unable to compromise and resolve. instead they want to sue and win.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
it says more about how people have become increasingly unable to compromise and resolve. instead they want to sue and win.

Sounds like DC.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:
it says more about how people have become increasingly unable to compromise and resolve. instead they want to sue and win.

Sounds like DC.

yeah it does. i miss the days of compromise and progress. when everyone was unhappy but things moved along. now just everyones unhappy.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Absolutely not!

My Dad only had 8th grade, I have some collage behind me and his math and writing skills are head and shoulders above mine all day long everyday! Today's youth cannot add 2+2 without a calculator, cannot spell, punctuate or complete a sentence! Chances that they could read and comprehend the battery acid warning are pretty slim... it's that the generation that eats Tide pods?

Regression is the rule not progression!
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

There have been stupid and smart people in every generation...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Generalization is never a good thing. There are always good and bad, smart and not-so-smart, etc. It just takes on different forms in different generations.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

The facts are that there is a 49% to 51% chance that the generation you are part of is more smarter than the former or the future generations coming up. Now that that is part of the conversation, feel free to quote that fact in all future discussions on this subject. Wink No, really really much more smarter!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
The facts are that there is a 49% to 51% chance that the generation you are part of is more smarter than the former or the future generations coming up. Now that that is part of the conversation, feel free to quote that fact in all future discussions on this subject. Wink No, really really much more smarter!!!!

That's like the meteorologist predicting a 50% chance of rain (or snow). Thanks for nothing. Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: