Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
There is also a definition of normal & abnormal.

What about Abby Normal?

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
There is also a definition of normal & abnormal.

What about Abby Normal?

Link

all time favorite. Laughing
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
I never heard the word "cursive" until we moved to the Midwest back in the 60s.

The left-handed kids excelled at cursing while trying to write %^#$%&^$@%&@ cursive !!! We learned all that in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

I can write my name in cursive; otherwise, I've only printed (in all capitals) for the last 50 years or more.

Its interesting that the best handwriting I've ever seen were from 2 different left-handers. Remarkable since the natural slant is to the left.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

It's been postulated that the total amount of human intelligence is a fixed amount, so that that the more we breed, the dumber we get, on average.

Empirical evidence supports this hypothesis.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Arthur C. Clarke:
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.

The "dumb" dinosaurs lasted nearly 200 million years.

Humanoids have been around for about 300 thousand, not even one percent as long.

Our cleverness at scavenging natural resources may in fact merely be accelerating our inevitable demise. I give us another 200 years max, probably less. The native americans had a better idea.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Albert Einstein wrote:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe!

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Amusing that despite constant and inane laments from the silver coiffed gallery, mourning the intellectual decline of the generations that follow them, the younger generations continue to invent amazing things and refine old products and processes.

Better technology, higher efficacy of medicine, longer lifespans, ready access to information, shorter travel times, easier lifestyles, reduction in laborious and repetitive tasks, et. etc. - None of this would be possible if each upcoming generation was not taking human understanding of the elements and universe to the next level - that requires intellect.

Some old people just feel better about themselves by tearing down those come after them. If you think the next generation is dumber than yours (and you would be wrong to think that), that would imply that YOU failed to do your freaking job of teaching them.

Perhaps not being able to count change (or any other esoteric example like that) is due to socio-economic differences, parental priorities and societal class, etc.?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Its easier to say what would stay. The 3 Rs & perhaps U.S. history.

Try and be more specific. You seem to have a problem with what's being taught so it should be easy to elaborate on what it is thats not to your liking.

Who's version of "History"?

Comprehension is part of reading. U.S. history is not specific enough? Anything not current events that was eye witnessed. How's that?

The US history that has been taught in schools for decades has been purposely misleading and full of omissions and lies about our actual history- especially when it comes to race and the treatment of a segment of our population.

Bonesberg55 wrote:
If I did, you could bet that 3/4 of the present day curriculum crap would be gone!

Totally. Whatever that actually is! Who has time for a different point of view, more than one solution to a problem and showing people a shady past to make for a better future.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Just my experience.... but my college educated kid is a hell of a lot smarter than me (I was on the 7 year Bachelor's Degree plan) Laughing .

Some of the points he brings up and insights he has during our talks leave my jaw hanging in awe. I would never have seen issues from the perspective he sees them from.

Your results may vary... Laughing
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Its easier to say what would stay. The 3 Rs & perhaps U.S. history.

Try and be more specific. You seem to have a problem with what's being taught so it should be easy to elaborate on what it is thats not to your liking.

Who's version of "History"?

Comprehension is part of reading. U.S. history is not specific enough? Anything not current events that was eye witnessed. How's that?

The US history that has been taught in schools for decades has been purposely misleading and full of omissions and lies about our actual history- especially when it comes to race and the treatment of a segment of our population.

Bonesberg55 wrote:
If I did, you could bet that 3/4 of the present day curriculum crap would be gone!

Totally. Whatever that actually is! Who has time for a different point of view, more than one solution to a problem and showing people a shady past to make for a better future.

World history is much deeper. Should even encompass parts of U.S. history. How narrow minded would students be if the history taught in class only went back to 1776 to present in one small chunk of an infant country.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

"Perhaps not being able to count change (or any other esoteric example like that) is due to socio-economic differences, parental priorities and societal class, etc.?"

No, not being able to count change is due to being promoted from 2nd grade when you should have been held back!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
"Perhaps not being able to count change (or any other esoteric example like that) is due to socio-economic differences, parental priorities and societal class, etc.?"

No, not being able to count change is due to being promoted from 2nd grade when you should have been held back!

That is exactly what I referred to as ‘societal class’. My kids went to schools where that cannot happen; Parents invest too much in their kids education for this kind of thing to be tolerated or occur.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

Bonesberg55. You seem like a nice guy with a good sense of humor. I’m not trying to pile on you. Just sharing some of my observations and thoughts.

I’ve been a retail manager since I was 19 (35 years). I work with many Gen-Z, millennials, Gen-X, and Baby Boomers daily.

By far the group that has the most difficulty handling cash with accuracy and learning the POS system (Cash register) is the baby boomers. I’m talking retired teachers, accountants, retail managers, and more.

The last cashier I put on Performance Improvement Plan was a 67 year old that worked for the IRS for decades. She actually upsets the younger cashiers because she can not keep up and causes so many mistakes. Yes, myself and assistant managers spend time working with her. My point is. She has a college degree and had a nice career. She’s not an idiot. It’s just not for her. Sure I have younger staff members that have performance challenges too. The older Gen-X and Baby Boomers struggle the most. One of the challenges with some cashiers is they don’t handle a lot of cash anymore both during a shift or personally. It’s mostly cards or electronic pay. Sometimes the cashiers get a little frazzled during a transaction. When it’s busy you have a lot going through your head with a line of customers waiting. Now if a customer writes a personal check. Everyone freaks out Shocked A manager always gets called to help the cashier remember how to process. In 1998 on Black Friday. My store took 99 personal checks and $32,000 in cash. 2021 Black Friday doing more sales. We took 2 personal checks and $3200 in cash.

My best friend in the late 80s had no problem getting into UC San Diego with a high 3.0 gpa and decent SAT scores. His kid a few years ago had a 4.0 gpa, played sports, and took extra courses. He couldn’t get in. The competition to be admitted to some of these schools is CRAZY!!!

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

My kids taught me the most amazing things about history I never learned in the whitewashed 1950-60s version for which the neocons yearn.

“ Lincoln freed the slaves”.

Try Reconstruction ended in 1876, peonage, the Dixicrats, and 90 more years until civil rights came to the agenda again
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

"By far the group that has the most difficulty handling cash with accuracy and learning the POS system (Cash register) is the baby boomers. I’m talking retired teachers, accountants, retail managers, and more."

"The last cashier I put on Performance Improvement Plan was a 67 year old that worked for the IRS for decades. She actually upsets the younger cashiers because she can not keep up and causes so many mistakes. Yes, myself and assistant managers spend time working with her. My point is. She has a college degree and had a nice career."

Sure I've run into older people that can't count. Its just that the frequency of that happening to me increases with the younger they are. How can you work for the IRS and not be able to count? Is it the same with ABCs? How did this woman get a college degree? Maybe that's why I can count. I don't have a college degree & never even went to college. I felt high school was a waste of time.

BTW, if you can't count, DO NOT attempt to do your own engine.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Old people just need to be done away with, they are useless drains. Soylent Green
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Old people just need to be done away with, they are useless drains. Soylent Green

Wow!! You pulled out Soylent Green. Nice!!!

I always think……….. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
My folks were too busy making a living to be able to spend much time helping us with school work.
However they did leave a great example.
Some siblings excelled. Others not so much.
There are an infinite amount of life experiences and choice's that make generalizing an individual or generation a fools errand.
Who knows exactly why some choose to drink the battery poison while others choose to engineer the battery.

This is an excellent point.

The almost complete absence or order, as it applies to consequences for 'bad' or 'improper' behaviors and actions, has led hugely to the breakdown within the system at the school level. There are multiple reasons for this, all based on what I consider misguided reasoning.

The difference in two examples in two posts just above is that in the first, poverty is more likely to breed the poverty mindset, while in the second, work-value is more likely to breed the strive-for success mindset. It's not only the actual income level. It's more the 'what's to be done about it' attitude.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Wow!! You pulled out Soylent Green. Nice!!!

I always think……….. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What about the so called “Greatest Generation” I guess they are obsolete as well and couldn’t run a cash register.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Quote:

If a kid can't count change it isn't the school that let them down.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: