Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
There are no levels of truth. Something is either true or its false. Its like saying "To be perfectly honest with you". You're either honest or you're not. As an example: "JFK was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth". Is that true or false?

Many not too much younger than me will not know that.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
There are no levels of truth. Something is either true or its false. Its like saying "To be perfectly honest with you". You're either honest or you're not. As an example: "JFK was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth". Is that true or false?

Truth and honesty are two different things. You can say things that are completely true but in a dishonest way; telling only half of the truth you know doesn't make the things said untrue, but it is dishonest since you've left out other true information that can make the overall picture skewed. Truth is fact, whereas honesty is the intent or how you use the truth.

eg: "Do you swear or affirm to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Truth withheld can be very dishonest indeed!
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Imo there are many levels of truth in any topic/ happening, for instance, during a visit to Dallas jfk was assassinated riding in a convertible limousine next to his wife..
And was assassinated by John Wilks Booth on his birthday.
Some of this is true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

But why not just say "THE TRUTH" why does everyone leave something out?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Truth is "black or white", no gray area.

As a kid we were sat in a long line. The first person was told "meet me at the pool before 3pm". When it got to the end it was " the neighbors painted their fence brown". Lol
Maybe that has more to do with comprehension.

ALL forms of media are biased.

They omit certain details to focus on a point or incur sensationalism. They ARE NOT reporting truths.

" Those that believe the media are misinformed, those that don't follow the media are uninformed. " Will Rogers
(That's close, I think.)

Between Tick-Tock, Wikipedia, Red-It, etc it's surprising newer gens get any form of semi factual info.

Many moons ago I read a biography of Hitler. It wasn't about his psycho genocidal tendencies but a story like account of a peasant farm boy rising to become the leader of a nation.
It was very entertaining.

All the best ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

The point of my comment was, AI technology is in our lives more and more daily, us old farts that have ,more or less common sense and deductive reasoning can tell bs when hear or see it, but the upcoming generations are doomed if they don't find a way to discern fact from fiction.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
You're either honest or you're not. As an example: "JFK was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth". Is that true or false?

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Imo there are many levels of truth in any topic/ happening, for instance, during a visit to Dallas jfk was assassinated riding in a convertible limousine next to his wife.

Yep, 125-year-old John Wilkes Booth shot JFK in Dallas. I think Geraldo covered the story.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Is that the truth, I'll look it up on wikipedia/Wikimedia
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
The point of my comment was, AI technology is in our lives more and more daily, us old farts that have ,more or less common sense and deductive reasoning can tell bs when hear or see it, but the upcoming generations are doomed if they don't find a way to discern fact from fiction.

sorry but i have to point out how absolutely wrong this is. all humans are gullible and incapable of discerning logic. regardless of their generational affiliation. id argue that younger generations are more likely to smell BS online than most boomers are. there is no such thing as 'truth' since it is an abstract concept. but if i take a step off a ten story building i will die, that is not an opinion. its also not 'truth'. waht is funny to one person is not to another. is it still 'funny'?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Misspelled words are funny! Most people call them typos. They're not!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

according to the book I'm currently reading - to be a machine by mark o'connell - the 'singularity' event is not far away, 2045 is a recent estimate but it may be sooner. this is when artificial intelligence becomes smarter than us, from there the next step will be machines acting beyond our comprehension...a cheery thought Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I think most of Washington D.C. is already there! Their intelligence is about as fake as there is.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

finster wrote:
according to the book I'm currently reading - to be a machine by mark o'connell - the 'singularity' event is not far away, 2045 is a recent estimate but it may be sooner. this is when artificial intelligence becomes smarter than us, from there the next step will be machines acting beyond our comprehension...a cheery thought Shocked

'The Terminator' was not that far off.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

How do you measure intelligence? By the guy who is a Valedictorian because he memorized every single answer to a test or by the simple guy who finds alternate solutions to his problem by analyzing the cause and effect of his actions?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

yes exactly
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

ad hominem logic is a fallacy, but most people pretend its them being correct.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I was a baby genius
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

To Mark Tucker, misspelled words are a full time job.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Anyone remember 1973 Westwworld starring Yul Brenner , great movie .
It fits perfect in today's world.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: