Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

Hello guys, just want to get some advice on this electrical outlet on my 71 Westy.
I installed a new panel and cut the opening for the housing.

The right side of the housing fits snug but the left has a gap.
How do you seal this area from leaking inside the van?
With the retaining metal piece in place, the gap is much smaller.

I will be installing a full cabinets set on that same side and I am concerned with this leaking inside and not being able to see it on time since the cabinets will block any access to that area.
The outlet will not be used, but I would like to conserve it to keep the original look.
I am willing remove it and weld new metal in place to guarantee a dry and leak free area.

Thanks for the advice!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

Silicone
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

silicone would work.

here’s a place with some other ideas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8436334

then, there’s this. i’m sure other vendors have them, too.

http://www.busdepot.com/253070134a
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys!
The Bust Depot seal you are referring is not the same shape or size.
I just ran a search on the part number and comes up as fitting Vanagon from 80 to 96. I will call them and see if they have one for early bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

There is a rubber gasket that goes under the bezel plate on the outside. get some thin rubber sheet use the bezel plate as a template and cut a new one.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

1/4" X 1" closed cell foam tape (weatherstripping) perhaps?, one layer on the inner part and a second under the trim ring.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 110v Outlet - How do I make Water Tight? Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the typical "correct" choice for penetrations like that in RV & boat building is usually Butyl tape. It will last basically forever and remain pliable. Silicone will work but is not as ideal.

The butyl I cleaned off my 1978 Riviera when I replaced/refurbished all the "hookups" was still perfectly intact (and 41 years old at the time)...as was the paint and exposed edges of the cut sheetmetal underneath.

That unit in particular, however,... the Unicorn Industries "RV15" electrical inlet... was installed with a foam gasket, IIRC. You could buy gasket material, trace the flange and make your own.

I believe only the top screw locates the housing with the flange and the remaining screws around the perimeter go into the body.

I didn't find mine to be as much of a source of leakiness as I had expected, even when it was a mess.... that was in San Diego, though. If it sits in snow, I'd be pretty careful.

So yeah, you usually can't go wrong with Butyl on penetrations.... but I believe a foam gasket is the most "correct."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: