Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for summer
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Clonebug, take this thread as a compliment, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." they say!

In years past I have neglected spring prepping my Buggy until... spring! I am an old guy and do not enjoy crawling around under vehicles freezing my hands off in the winter anymore! So I would put off things that needed doing until it was warm enough to drive the car. Then of course some of it would not get done.

This fall I hooked up the in-floor heat on my garage. WOO HOO! What a treat! Previously I just used a home made barrel wood stove. After an hour or two the garage was pleasantly warm... from your knees up, 20,000 pounds of concrete at -30 says it stays cold down there... now I can lay on the floor all day and never feel a chill!

So, starting with the sporadic and annoying valve train rattle, I made solid spacers to replace VW's springs between the rocker arms.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All done, installed and the valve lash set at .004". Once the battery is charged I will start it up and see what the difference is. Note: the tappet cover gaskets they sell us for these engines now are JUNK! It takes a 1/2 a tube of silicone sealer to take up the gaps and get them leak free! Even then they shrink up and slip and slide out of place as you drive.

On to the clutch that failed last trip out, pulled the peddle cluster thinking I will find a broken cable. Nope! Hook worn through. New shaft on order.

This car has always had uneven pedals.

It seems someone replaced the original clutch pedal and the new one does not match either the stop position...

...or the lever length.

Last fall I put Empi discs on the front and was very disappointed to find that it now takes a lot more pedal pressure to lock up the brakes than it did before. The drum brakes were more effective! Well, I am not changing back because I know that the disc brakes will be more fade resistant down a mountain pass pulling a small trailer so... I am thinking of lengthening the brake pedal arm a couple of inches while I have this pedal cluster apart to gain back some of the lost mechanical advantage.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I feel your pain oprn. I woke up to 32f temps this morning. Shocked The buggy is on a battery maintainer, but there's no heat in the garage. I took the Toyota truck to work this morning. It has a heater! Laughing

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

A bit more progress on the pedal cluster today while waiting for parts. Starting with the uneven resting position of the clutch and brake pedal, I bent the tab on the clutch pedal until the two pedals line up top and bottom.

A piece of flat stock to prevent it from bending back cut to fit. Ok a bit overkill but it was handy!

And welded.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Now I believe I mentioned being disappointed with the increase in pedal effort that resulted from the EMPI disc brake conversion? How about a farmer fix eh? A poor man's power brake of sorts... lengthen the brake pedal lever length for more mechanical advantage. I added about 2 1/4". Why that much? Simple, that was the length of the piece of flat stock left from what I used for the clutch pedal stop! Looks about right engineering...

All painted up ready to go.

There you go! A quick measurement shows me that the increase in mechanical advantage is about 27% going from a 8.25" pedal arm to a 10.5" pedal arm. Not a big change, from a 6.1/1 mechanical advantage to 7.78/1.

Will it help? I think so. Enough? Don't know... Does it look funny with the brake pedal higher than the clutch? Yup and if you don't like it feel free to look at something else! Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Pedal shaft and clutch cable came came today! I have had 2 versions of a shortened clutch cable in the past and have not been entirely happy with either one...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Pedal shaft and clutch cable came came today! I have had 2 versions of a shortened clutch cable in the past and have not been entirely happy with either one...

I used 3 little cable clamps and cut the cable leaving about 4 inches of overlap. Those clamps have been "daBomb" for at least 80,000 miles. The cable I shortened originally in 2004 was also a used cable.
My cable finally broke in 2021 but it was by the pedal side. The clamps were never an issue.
I installed a new cable and used the same clamps. I do carry an extra cable on long distance drives now just in case since I also run a Stage II Pressure Plate.

You can spend big bucks on a fancy swagged end or other way but the clamps are easy and cheap....plus they work well.......

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Thanks Clonebug! I had in mind to try exactly that but wasn't sure the cable clamps would hold! Now I know that they will.

Before putting the pedal cluster back in I took a serious look at the action of the gas pedal. I knew it was less than ideal and the hole the throttle cable attaches to was badly worn too. Welded that up and re-drilled it.

The roller did not follow the pedal track properly at all! It started out up on the heel of the track, then would snap down in place with some pressure. I often wondered what was going on as sometimes the engine would idle at 800 rpm and sometimes 1100 rpm. Now I know why. Sometimes it would sit up on the heel and sometimes not.

Then at the other end of the range the roller only went 2/3 of the way to the end. So - out with the welder, build up and grind away on both stops (the "ears" at the bottom) until it all fits and works properly. Now I should have more stroke and a repeatable idle!

Here is the finished product.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I installed the CB Performance Turbo Pedal.
It comes with a new arm and nice aluminum roller. It does need a little shimming and mods to tighten it up but it is a great addition for long distance driving.
I used to have just a roller pedal and this is much better.

I'll post some pics later as I'm adding a new brake light switch right now to take care of the late light I have with the stock switches in the master cylinder.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I threw away the stock badly damaged gas pedal on my sand rail and turned up a roller on the lathe for it. It works fine and is simple but others driving it for the first time find it awkward.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I got the old clutch cable out and new one in... until I hit the Bowdon tube. Not going through. Makes sense that the solid adjuster end will not make the curves so I pull the Bowdon tube out and slide the cable through and put the whole thing back in. One small problem though, putting it back in... in order to get it in I had to flex it pretty extremely and it cracked in two places.

Done! Need a new one now. Here is the problem, there appears to be two choices. Up to '71 it is 11 3/4 and from '72 on it is 12 5/8" long. Presently the pan is a '72 and the transaxle is a '67 according to serial numbers. I have plans the change to a '73 IRS transaxle shortly.

So... which one to buy... and will is fit both trans axles? Do I need the short one now and the longer one for the IRS? Which end did VW change, the pan end or the transaxle bracket? Anyone know?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

The bracket was changed needing the longer boden tube. You can tell by the rear holder. If it is a tube, short boden tube. If the bracket is just a hole, longer boden tube.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Thanks! I will take a look.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

$13 for a new one and $42 to mail it 3 hours to me. Doesn't make much sense now does it? The broken one is going to have to stay until I am in the city for something else.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

When you welded that piece in on your clutch pedal you should gave made it bigger so it went out past the tube that the shaft pins into. Those stamped pedals are notorious for breaking at the end of the tube. If I use those pedals I always box them in from the base, up around the curved section
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that! When I was working on it I thought about doing exactly that but didn't with the thought that I had not seen one fail with a stock pressure plate. The stock 210 mm Bus clutch is doing the job right now but I will keep that in mind if I upgrade in the future for sure. Or even if I have the pedal cluster out again. Thanks!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Bad news on the clutch front. The pedal cluster is in, cable in place but... adjustment not feeling right. There is virtually no resistance on the clutch pedal aside from the return spring on the cross shaft lever. I started the engine and confirmed that the clutch does not disengage and with the engine running there is only neutral, not possible to select a gear. All the gears are there as normal with the engine shut off.

So when the clutch pedal shaft hook broke off the jar must have dislodged the release bearing I'm thinking... no rattling of clunking back there though...

Time to take the engine out once again!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

With the engine out is this the time to do the IRS conversion? And can I do it with the body in place?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
With the engine out is this the time to do the IRS conversion? And can I do it with the body in place?

Depends on the body. Does it have the battery and spare tire wells? If yes, two things, first they will get hit by the trailing arms in upward movement unless you install a 3 inch body lift. And you will have a very hard time getting to the inner pivots to weld them onto the torsion tube, and due it properly.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I can pull my body in about 2 hrs.
Another two hrs and the engine is out.
Two more hrs and the transmission is out also…
It makes it soooo much easier to work on that the time spent on the above saves time and muttering under your breath trying to work around everything.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

No body lift, not my style. The wiring is not set up for a quick lift off of the body either. I will see what I have to work with once the engine and transaxle are out. The battery box lifts out and will have to be modified anyway. I am not opposed to making an access hole under the rear seat cushion. I am thinking of a glove box under there anyway. Maybe open the whole area up and line the hole with 3/4" angle iron and a couple cross pieces... several ways it could go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: