Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for summer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Now it seems that the next thing I need is the bolts and washers that hold the inner ends of the control arms to the pivot brackets. They are still in the Porsche...
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Spring is just around the corner,,,, Monday You can dig the 944 out Laughing Laughing Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

It's dug out Mike and loaded!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Looking at these EMPI jigs... something is missing here...

There you see it now too!

EMPI's welder went for coffee and never came back!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Battery box out of the way. Looks like enough room to weld. I can see me cutting a similar hole in the other side too and building a glove box to store insurance and registration documents in. The seat bottom covers it all.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Now I am comparing torsion bar housings. I have been told that it's all interchangeable. I hope so...

This is what I have. The short version, seems odd on a '72 pan but there it is.

Both 944s have the long version, this is my '83 and the '86 is the same.

I was wanting to use the 944 torsion bars as I hear they are a bit bigger. That would help with the added weight of the type 4 engine and when we do have an extra passenger or two in the back seat. It does ride pretty low when that happens. If they don't fit I will just index the stock bars up a bit.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Well the front half is Loaded Laughing You guys have less snow then we do Laughing 'Come on Spring' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Well the front half is Loaded Laughing

That's all she gets! I lifted the front up with the tractor bucket and backed the trailer under it far enough that it was past center and set it down. Tied it forward and took the tires off. It's going 6 miles across country and then we will do it in reverse there.
madmike wrote:
You guys have less snow then we do Laughing 'Come on Spring' Laughing

We still have lots of knee and waist high drifts around the yard. My wood splitter and wood pile are still under a 5 foot drift. No daytime temps above freezing yet but it's getting close...
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I do believe the VW torsion tube is the same width for both (do not know about 944).

I have put short (swing axle) springs in my irs tube and spring plates.

Wow .....weather.....I have seen snow before.
Right now my grass need cut.....but I ain't gonna.....everything yellow with pollen the past few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

That's my woodsplitter in that pic, under the maple syrup evaporator is a Honda 6hp Wink
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Just a suggestion. Comes from checking my IRS pivot jigs. Once you pull the torsion bars out and the trailing arms off of the 944, bolt your jigs in place on the 944 and check them for trueness. Make sure the pivot bolt lines up nicely.

I had to slice mine and re-index them, re-welded them to fit properly on a known good, straight chassis. I have since built several custom rear torsions and all have aligned and have tracked true.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Good idea! Being an EMPI brand product it certainly will not hurt to check!

Last edited by oprn on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Here is my wood splitter, right there directly in front of the tractor and above the Jetta hood. The unsplit wood pile (all 4000 lbs of it) can be seen just above the tractor.

Further up the driveway...

It was 1 degree above freezing at 3:00PM today... first time since early November so things are looking up!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

What No 'Wood shed" ? Did ya know My Wife is a 'Pilot'? I cut the wood she Pilot Laughing I try to store most of the wood in the basement/wood cellar, 12 face cords all stacked behind the house ready to toss in the wood cellar Wink sure is 'Flat' around those parts , Wink I have to drive about 100 miles south to see flatland Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

See that garden shed on the right behind the yard light pole with the folding table leaned up against it? Yup, that is the wood shed where the split and dry wood is. Still about 1/2 full. I would say about 1500 lb in there still. I had some in our little "barn" too but used it up first thing.

The 944 went over to the neighbors this morning but... he wasn't ready for it. He has a Chevy 1/2 ton in there finishing up an engine swap. So in the meanwhile I decided to make a dummy bolt so I can start cutting and fitting the brackets to the Buggy torsion tube. Used a plastic displacer... could be Teflon, not sure.

Should be good enough to rough them in.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Putting these pivot brackets in is definitely not for the timid! Lots of hacking and chopping going on here.

These EMPI brackets fit like a saddle on a sow! I am having to grind the crap out of them to get them far enough forward to close up the gap at the back of the jig. Looks like I need to grind another 1/2" off the front of the brackets.

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Yeah, the brackets are awful to fit. On mine, I had to clearance them a little to fit against the emergency brake cable tube, I also had to grind on the threaded boss of the bracket to not hit the tube. Be very careful when welding in that area, as its very easy to burn thru the tube. Might be a good idea to weld short of the tube, and use sealant there. When you get close to thinking the bracket fit is done, I would take a strip of paper and make sure it can slip all around the bracket, so you know its not hitting anything that may cause a slight miss alignment. When I thought I had it ready, I still had to take it off and grind some more at least 10 more times. Dont get frustrated, its worth it when its as good as you can get it. Good luck.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I keep wondering... is it supposed to be this bad or is something else wrong? There is going to be a lot of gaps to try and weld in too!
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I don't envy you doing this with the body on. This was my first project and I had my pan on sawhorses at working level and it was still a pain in the butt.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I have the definitive answer on the 944 transaxle flanges. Nope! Completely different animal!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: