Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Code reader for '95 EVC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sparkle-e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I bought a code reader without realizing it won't work on my '95 EVC. is there a OBD2 to OBD1 adaptor? Or is there a reader that you recommend?

Edit: Another person here recommended a system, but it won't work on my Mac computer. Is there something else you use that's either in a hand-held system or can work with my Mac?

I bought the AutoLink AL319 and it's only for '96 cars and older. I have to check to see if it will work on my VW with an adapter.

Thanks!

Last edited by sparkle-e on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skvetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

VAG 2x2 to OBD 2 adapter
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Skvetti wrote:
VAG 2x2 to OBD 2 adapter

In addition to this adapter, you may need to use a VAG-COM instead of a generic scanner.
sparkle-e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Would this do with the adaptor? I'm going to find an adaptor here in the US, so I don't have to wait too long.

Ancel VD700 OBD2 Scanner All System Scan Tool Used for VW

https://www.ancel.com/products/ancel-vd700?currenc...x0QAvD_BwE
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

What’s being described is buying this:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

And this:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/af2x2/

This reads the available obd1 codes and DOES SO MUCH MORE. What’s my trans temp? Got it. What’s my coolant temp? Got it. Is my fuel pump working? Yes.

If you’re looking for a tool to use long term on a 1995, I’d return what you bought and buy this. I really like it (obviously).
sparkle-e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

The issue I am having is that I only own Apple products, and it requires a different operating system. It's just not going to work with my current setup. I appreciate the links. I am hoping someone else will respond with something that will work for me. Thanks again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I own apple products but run the ross tech software, I just bought a cheap netbook on ebay for like 60 bucks..

Good luck
evinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Another option you might look into is whether you can run some kind a virtual machine on your Mac that can run the software. Haven't tried it for this sort of thing, but have had good luck with VirtualBox in running Windows ham radio software on my Mac.
bjanaszek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

Resurrecting this to ask follow-on questions....

First, is it possible to use the jump/blink method when the engine is running? My CEL only comes during the first drive of the day, and then is off for subsequent starts.

Second, and I guess, related to the first, is whether a 1195 EV will even store the codes?
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

The 1995 EV won't store/save codes, once you start the vehicle the existing codes are purged and replaced by new "all clear" or "this is broken" codes.

It's a major PITA when you have intermittent issues and you are trying to diagnose a problem. After my first experience using the blink message I made sure to have a pen/paper handy to record the code before I accidentally cleared it Rolling Eyes

mikemtnbike wrote:
What’s being described is buying this:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

And this:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/af2x2/

This reads the available obd1 codes and DOES SO MUCH MORE. What’s my trans temp? Got it. What’s my coolant temp? Got it. Is my fuel pump working? Yes.

If you’re looking for a tool to use long term on a 1995, I’d return what you bought and buy this. I really like it (obviously).

Hey Mike, can you use the AF2x2 with a regular code reader if you don't want to go the Hex-V2 route? I don't travel with a laptop/tablet much, but a code reader is easy enough to stash away for a rainy day.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

No idea, haven't tried, I'd post in the ross-tech forums, or email them, to ask.
bjanaszek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:

Hey Mike, can you use the AF2x2 with a regular code reader if you don't want to go the Hex-V2 route? I don't travel with a laptop/tablet much, but a code reader is easy enough to stash away for a rainy day.

I asked Ross-Tech about this today (I was thinking about getting an Innova scanner for my other vehicle), and they said they do not officially support anything but their own hardware and software. I don't know if this means "it won't work" or "use at your own peril because we haven't tested it." Would be curious if anyone has used the adapter with other scanners.

Like you, I don't really have access to a Windows laptop that is suitable for keeping in the van (or in our other VW), and something like the Innova would be a great solution.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

bjanaszek wrote:
KillerGriller wrote:

I asked Ross-Tech about this today (I was thinking about getting an Innova scanner for my other vehicle), and they said they do not officially support anything but their own hardware and software. I don't know if this means "it won't work" or "use at your own peril because we haven't tested it." Would be curious if anyone has used the adapter with other scanners.

Like you, I don't really have access to a Windows laptop that is suitable for keeping in the van (or in our other VW), and something like the Innova would be a great solution.

If you're willing to drop some coin, the top end ross-tech adaptor has a self hosted mode where it presents a wi-fi connection, which you can then connect to with your phone or whatever device you have. The tool then presents a UI identical in function to the windows app as a web page. It works pretty well. You will still need a widows laptop to update the device though.
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

I think we're all interested in a solution you can keep in the van in case things go south far from home, it'd be great if the Innova solution worked.
bjanaszek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:
I think we're all interested in a solution you can keep in the van in case things go south far from home, it'd be great if the Innova solution worked.

I may pick up the Innova scanner tomorrow, because I need to diagnose an ABS issue on our other VW (2012 TDI). I may order the Ross-Tech adapter and Just See What Happens. I mean, if the Innova can read ODBI codes, the adapter itself doesn't do anything magical, right?
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

bjanaszek wrote:
KillerGriller wrote:

I may pick up the Innova scanner tomorrow, because I need to diagnose an ABS issue on our other VW (2012 TDI). I may order the Ross-Tech adapter and Just See What Happens. I mean, if the Innova can read ODBI codes, the adapter itself doesn't do anything magical, right?

Good luck! Keep us posted
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

The ross-tech adapter is not magical, but VCDS is so much more than a code reader. I know y'all probably know this, but it's a very power diagnostic and engine management tool that can do all sorts of things that no code reader will ever be able to do.

Example:

No start condition.

Wonder if it's my fuel pump I hope not that's a real pain in the arse.

Clickityclickity makes VCDS run fuel pump with motor off, ok now I know the relay and pump are working fantastic.

So many things like that. So many.

Yes, I'm a fanboy.
bjanaszek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

KillerGriller wrote:
Good luck! Keep us posted

Whelp, I realized that only limited Innova models can read OBDI, and those are actually more expensive that the Ross-Tech. I did pick up a cheaper Innova model (since I needed to quickly scan our TDI), and that just registers "ERROR" when I connect it to the 1995 EV via the adapter. So....guess I'm going to buy the Ross-Tech anyway, since I may have found a cheap Windoze laptop I can keep in the van.

Too bad I didn't order the VCDS when I ordered the adapter, because Ross-Tech's shipping is not cheap....
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Code reader for '95 EVC Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
The ross-tech adapter is not magical, but VCDS is so much more than a code reader. I know y'all probably know this, but it's a very power diagnostic and engine management tool that can do all sorts of things that no code reader will ever be able to do.

Example:

No start condition.

Wonder if it's my fuel pump I hope not that's a real pain in the arse.

Clickityclickity makes VCDS run fuel pump with motor off, ok now I know the relay and pump are working fantastic.

So many things like that. So many.

Yes, I'm a fanboy.

You're right, it sounds like a great tool for a home garage and I may end up buying it anyway like @bjanaszek. I was hoping for something more compact though, something I could take on a road trip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: