Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turbo kits for 1.6 diesel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Cycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Hello,
I provided pics of my 1.6 diesel engine to a local shop in order to inquire about an engine swap for obvious need of highway speeds. They replied with, "the engine you have is a great one!" and suggested a turbo and a better geared transmission. I have a contact and already a shop thinking about the trans, however, I don't know how to source a turbo. I realize you can't just get a turbo and there is some fabricating involved but any leads on a turbo kit would be appreciated.
Any feedback on whether this 1983 Westy diesel engine is "great" or not is also appreciated.

Thanks!

Engine code CS Current trans code: DX

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

there are more qualified people to answer this, but you can get a k turbo fairly easily. youll also need the manifold, the oil cooling lines, the exhaust manifold and lots of other little odds and ends, but this isnt some crazy thing to track down! easy enough to source.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

IIRC the member ndorian has a thread all about adding a turbo to a non-turbo 1.6.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Your 83 came with a rare DX 5 speed with reasonable top gearing but the shop may think you have one of the diesel 4 speeds that rev too high for a more powerful engine in the VW diesel family.

You could bolt a turbo on the existing engine and get a pretty good power bump. I'm not aware of any kit that covers everything needed for a Vanagon and there are issues to solve.

Mark

Phil Cycle wrote:
Hello,
I provided pics of my 1.6 diesel engine to a local shop in order to inquire about an engine swap for obvious need of highway speeds. They replied with, "the engine you have is a great one!" and suggested a turbo and a better geared transmission. I have a contact and already a shop thinking about the trans, however, I don't know how to source a turbo. I realize you can't just get a turbo and there is some fabricating involved but any leads on a turbo kit would be appreciated.
Any feedback on whether this 1983 Westy diesel engine is "great" or not is also appreciated.

Thanks!

Engine code CS Current trans code: DX
Phil Cycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Good advice thus far, but you need to do a lot of research.

Find the guy Waldo referenced and see what he did.

The DX transmission as mentioned by Crazyvwman is geared tall compared to the 4-speed diesels and with stock size tires, should push the vanagon along at about 65 MPH at 3600 RPMs. That's in the ball park of okay for the 1.6 engine. However, for comparison, that's spinning unnecessarily too fast for a 1.9 TDI engine. The 1.9 fairs much better around 2800-2900 RPMs at 65 mph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phil Cycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Tires are stock. It does about 57 on a flat road with performance intake air filter and screw adjusted for the fuel/ air mixture, "blowing coal." I mean, maybe I didn't wind it out in 4th but I'm pretty sure I did because I was trying to see what it would do.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

The trans you want is the AAS 5speed. It's for the 1.6TD and has a 4.83 ring. The DX is better than the 4speed, but is still too tall. I have an AAS in front of my 1.9 gas engine and love it!

Hans
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

I think that a stock DX with 27" rear tires is fairly ideal for a 1.6TD. The DX is a little shorter gearing than the AAS but allows 70MPH @ 3750 which is as tall as I would want with a 1.6TD. The AAS would only drop the rpms in top gear by 150 @ 70MPH.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Make sure you add oil sprayers for the pistons if you do not have them.

Roland
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Keep the fueling/EGTs reasonable and the piston cooling oil jets are not needed. You also can't exactly add them easily. Complete disassembly of the engine would be required along with custom machining of the crankcase!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

there is also an auxiliary water pump and cooling system with a sensor that runs off a relay in the engine compartment you will need, all available.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Aux water pump and sensor are also not needed.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

why did vw use them on the 1.6td's?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Phil Cycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

I messaged ndorian who had the turbo thread before about where to buy the turbo kit and components but have not heard back. I will let my transmission guy know about what trans is preferred (he should already know.)

Thanks again!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Phil Cycle wrote:
I messaged ndorian who had the turbo thread before about where to buy the turbo kit and components but have not heard back. I will let my transmission guy know about what trans is preferred (he should already know.)

Thanks again!

Here is a list of topics started by ndorian.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_id=usertopics&user=457194

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Wouldn't recommend it. A turbo on that engine is going to see increased wear and shorter lifespan due to the engine not being made for a turbo. You are going to need extensive intake and exhaust modificatons for an engine that may not have much mojo left in it. When it does wear out you should be prepared to put in a bigger engine but those parts may not be compatible unless you already planned ahead. Even if you do it, you will have a suboptimal engine and wish you went more robust.

The only exception is if you are going to be driving at high elevation, in that case the turbo can make it seem like sea level.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

On the JX, not all 1.6TD.

I believe it's to cool down the engine when off, bc they work harder in a T3, hell, the Syncro even had a blower on the turbo Laughing Laughing . If you don't race and shut down the engine, you'll be more than fine. Most of these pumps don't even work anymore, with people not even knowing it....
The 1.6 TD RA and SB engines on Golf 2 had a watercooled turbo.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil Cycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Wouldn't recommend it. A turbo on that engine is going to see increased wear and shorter lifespan due to the engine not being made for a turbo. You are going to need extensive intake and exhaust modificatons for an engine that may not have much mojo left in it. When it does wear out you should be prepared to put in a bigger engine but those parts may not be compatible unless you already planned ahead. Even if you do it, you will have a suboptimal engine and wish you went more robust.

The only exception is if you are going to be driving at high elevation, in that case the turbo can make it seem like sea level.

Yeah, that's part of the question after I inquired with Munk's Motors-- a vintage repair shop with VW exp-- about an engine swap. I questioned their saying the 1.6 is a "great" motor. Thanks
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: turbo kits for 1.6 diesel Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

On the JX, not all 1.6TD.

I believe it's to cool down the engine when off, bc they work harder in a T3, hell, the Syncro even had a blower on the turbo Laughing Laughing . If you don't race a shut down the engine, you'll be more than fine. Most of these pumps don't even work anymore, with people not even knowing it....
The 1.6 TD RA and SB engines on Golf 2 had a watercooled turbo.

hah yeah mine wasnt working either! i figured that out becasue after shut off it would boil a bit. seems like it couldnt hurt to put it on though? better too cold than too hot.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: