Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed distributor?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Is there a distributor for VS outside Taiwan? One in the USA?
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

There are multiple, however not all carry the entire product line. For example, Topline parts carries only the shifters. I believe Aircooled.net carried the entire line but they have either put sales on hold or gone out of business...not certain which or either.

If you're looking to buy an exhaust, they ship from Taiwan for $50 or $75...at least they did at one time. If you buy from a Stateside vendor, it is drop shipped from Taiwan regardless, so all you're doing is paying whatever extra amount the vendor has tacked on and waiting on the shipment from Taiwan. Unless, by chance you're a walk in customer and the vendor happened to have the exhaust you wanted, sitting on the shelf.

Sorry, I don't think this helped much.
H2OSB
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

I didn't know they were drop-shipped from Taiwan regardless. I always see the exhaust being sold in the swap-meets and such at the SEWA drags in Farminton NC. But I confess Im a little nervous about big expenditures on second hand parts!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

When I got my exhaust, I contacted them directly. They're really nice people and they make a very fine product. They're VW people, like us!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

I thought this was a vintage speed distributor. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

That Is!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

This is how you derail a topic and prevent a person from getting help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:

And thanks for contributing Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
C'mon, y'all, let's have some fun while we are at it!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:
Glenn wrote:

It's OK, he's the moderator!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

I was expecting to see a Bosch distributor, 019, 010, etc.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I was expecting to see a Bosch distributor, 019, 010, etc

Same!

As far as "stocking" distributors, I think everyone has gone to drop-shipping for VS products. RLR shows a full line but pretty much everything is on backorder, makes me think they don't fulfill until they get the payment from you.

https://ronlummusracing.com/product-category/vintage-speed/

I bought my VS Super Flow/ Sport muffler in-person from Topline back in 2017 I think? John had one on his car parked in the shop and kindly fired it up for me so I could hear how it sounded, and I was in love Boo hoo!

One of the few modern production speed parts worth the money, fit and finish is perfect, packaged well, and not the same cheesy products from the sixties/seventies everyone else sells.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

When I bought my VS muffler from Jon at Aircooled back in 2018, it was still drop shipped from Taiwan. Very well packaged and complete. No issues.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed distributor? Reply with quote

My local garage keeps some in stock. So I do not believe everyone does drop shipping.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: