Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Critique these oil clearances
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

I'm building an 1835 for a friend. Oil clearances on a few of the main bearings are a little outside Bentley spec. Here are some details.

- Standard size stock VW crank, polished by machine shop, mic'd to be within Bently spec by me.
- AS41 case freshly line bored and checked with a dial bore gauge by me to be good.

I measured main oil clearances by mic'ing the crank journal and then zeroing my dial bore gauge and then checking the bearings which were installed in the case and torqued to 25 ft lbs. Here's what I measured:

#1 0.0016" (thrust)
#2 0.0043" (split)
#3 0.0014"
#4 0.0024" (nose)

From Bentley, tolerances are: 1 and 3 (.0016-.004), 2 (.001-.0035), 4 (.002-.004)

So the #2 split bearing has too loose a clearance by 0.0007" but still not near the wear limit of 0.007".

And the #3 bearing is 0.0002" too tight.

These are quite close to the spec. The only thing I can think of that's causing this is poor quality control in the manufacturing of the bearings. They are Silverline mains. I've seen some previous posts about this. Should I be concerned and try another set? In Canada, bearing availability is pretty much limited to Silverline from the major online suppliers. I may waste $60-80 trying to solve a problem that may not really exist.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

What did your old #3 bearing measure & what was it's condition?
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
What did your old #3 bearing measure & what was it's condition?

Old bearing was standard size for an un-cut case. It has now been line bored. But the clearances with old bearings were worse before the line bore and that is what prompted me to get the line bore done. Here were the old clearances:

#1 0.004"
#2 0.008"
#3 0.001"
#4 0.0025"
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

When I built my engine in 2021 I found the same problem. I went through three sets of Silverline bearings trying to get the clearances within specs. I ended up buying Mahle bearings, and they were much closer to the correct clearances. But I still had to buy two sets of Mahles to get what I was after. I am sure it will run with the larger clearances, but I was concerned that it may drop oil pressure, or not last as long.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

I assume the case fasteners that were torqued to 25 ft. lbs. were the 6 large ones. Were your case halves dry? If so, I would expect that those clearances would open up ever so slightly when sealer was used so #3 might very well fall within spec. I'd be more concerned about the looser #2.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I assume the case fasteners that were torqued to 25 ft. lbs. were the 6 large ones. Were your case halves dry? If so, I would expect that those clearances would open up ever so slightly when sealer was used so #3 might very well fall within spec.

Correct, the 6 large ones and yes, assembled dry.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Not quite good enough, but maybe they could be fixed if you have some way to do it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

steel or aluminum center main? the bearing may be too "tall" that is the only clearance issue I see the rest are fine for my builds. I do not like the steel center bearings.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
steel or aluminum center main? the bearing may be too "tall" that is the only clearance issue I see the rest are fine for my builds. I do not like the steel center bearings.

I'm not sure. It's silverline.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
I assume the case fasteners that were torqued to 25 ft. lbs. were the 6 large ones. Were your case halves dry? If so, I would expect that those clearances would open up ever so slightly when sealer was used so #3 might very well fall within spec.

Not sure if you did it, but ALL of the fasteners need to be installed, and ALL of them correctly torqued, just like it would be when running. Then measure it. The little guy can change quite a bit if the 8mm studs are not torqued.

Brian
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

Not sure if you did it, but ALL of the fasteners need to be installed, and ALL of them correctly torqued, just like it would be when running. Then measure it. The little guy can change quite a bit if the 8mm studs are not torqued.

Brian

I just torqued the 6 main ones. Will try with the others.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Every engine builder should own a fine bearing scraper. Laughing

With Silverlines, it is hit or miss. Better the clearances too tight than too loose. I do not need to explain what the bearing scraper is for.

Enjoy -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if the center main is holding the case halves apart?
Perhaps it needs sanded where the halves meet.

Check using a feeler blade above/below the bearing with case torqued.
You’ll be able to see a gap with a flashlight positioned perfectly.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Interesting. I'll have to check this out. Thanks.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

So this was it. Unfortunately even when sanding the split bearing mating ends to achieve the correct oil clearance, light could still be seen between case halves. I've ordered a few more sets of mains from silverline and mahle to see if any fit better.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Check my Bergmann bomb thread for some more fun with this.

Some say a center gap is a Silverline feature.

What’s That Noise?!?
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Check my Bergmann bomb thread for some more fun with this.

Some say a center gap is a Silverline feature.

Just read your thread. Same exact issue.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Tried a new silver line centre main. Clearances are now in spec:

#1 0.0016"
#2 0.0022"
#3 0.0016"
#4 0.0020"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

good work. .004" was too much for an around the town engine.
raymon covey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique these oil clearances Reply with quote

Slowly sand down center main to.002 would be my and check to see that case halves come together with some crush on the bearing. If its not coming together the clearance will change as it comes together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: