Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Start - Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On [SOLVED]
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

Yes, that voltage would be expected.

You should have done 2 measurements with the relay removed.
Between relay socket pin 30 and chassis ground. (12v)
Between relay socket pin 87 and chassis ground. (0v)

Pin 30 should always have near battery voltage, compared to chassis ground.
When you measured between pin 30 and 87 the pin 87 acted as a "ground" for the meter probe, connected through the fuel pump windings to the fuel pump ground.

Voltmeters when set to volts don't allow any real current to flow so the pump wouldn't run though the voltage reading on the meter might lead you to think it would be able to.
A similar concept applies to your measurement of the ignition coil pin 15.
Yes, it could appear the be "ground" under certain meter setting.
Since it connects to several things that also connect to ground it would show a low resistance to ground through those things.
Once the key is on that pin 15 gets and holds 12v because all those several "grounds" are too weak to drain much of the voltage away.

Sorry if this isn't a very clear explanation.

Mark

Steve M. wrote:

Getting back to this voltage I have removed the Fuel Pump Relay and measuring from Relay term. #30 to #87 it is showing battery voltage 12.96v.
That Fuel pump is not running as I had a quiet moment to hear it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, that voltage would be expected.

You should have done 2 measurements with the relay removed.
Between relay socket pin 30 and chassis ground. (12v)
Between relay socket pin 87 and chassis ground. (0v)

Sorry if this isn't a very clear explanation.

Mark

Clear enough for me to understand it. I understood it for the 87 through the fuel pump wiring. I had the Bentley with me today so I could following wiring paths to see the grounding of the coil through 15.
I'm trying to understand the coil windings. I thought they were separate windings... been too many years from the classroom.
I believe I did 30 and Gnd. 12.96v Don't remember 87 & Gnd.. Think I did it as I was measuring everything, but with the relays installed.

What's got me thinking is why the resistance readings on the coil between #15 & #1 and between the terminal going to the Distributer were the same on my spare coil as on the "bad" coil, but the spare coil starts the engine? Yet, I was getting spark off the "bad" coil?
Thanks for your input.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Success, swapped out the Ignition Coil. Started right up.

That is great!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

What is the resistance supposed to be on this coil? I'm getting 000.7 to .9.

Curious if you measured the secondary resistance and if so what you got (between the coil negative and the HT terminal with the plug wire lead)?

The primary resistance spec is 0.52-0.76 ohms on the primary, so I'd be surprised if your measurements were preventing a start, as I was having no starting issues with a primary measurement of 1.1 ohms.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Curious if you measured the secondary resistance and if so what you got (between the coil negative and the HT terminal with the plug wire lead)?

The primary resistance spec is 0.52-0.76 ohms on the primary, so I'd be surprised if your measurements were preventing a start, as I was having no starting issues with a primary measurement of 1.1 ohms.

quote="michaelasnider"]
Steve M. wrote:

The primary resistance spec is 0.52-0.76 ohms on the primary, so I'd be surprised if your measurements were preventing a start, as I was having no starting issues with a primary measurement of 1.1 ohms.[/quote]

This something of a mystery to me as I was getting spark the the #3 plug.
After measuring and seeing readings I didn't think it was the problem.
On a hunch I connected my spare to the wires and bingo -start on first crank.
Maybe it was just "moving" a wire and it gave a better connection? My terminals were all clean and the wire
I've been busy at work so maybe later today I can check the resistence of the old coil again later today. I didn't write the measurements when I did it, but thanks for the spec's on it.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: No Start - Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On [SOLVED] Reply with quote

coils live a high stress life, needing to contain tens of thousands of volts in a very small space. simple resistance checks investigate but one thing that can go wrong-- open or shorted windings, but so much relies on the high voltage insulation that can test fine with an ohm meter but jump gaps once it gets all excited.

since there is no good test method, this is a case where when in doubt, you just replace.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: No Start - Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On [SOLVED] Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
coils live a high stress life, needing to contain tens of thousands of volts in a very small space. simple resistance checks investigate but one thing that can go wrong-- open or shorted windings, but so much relies on the high voltage insulation that can test fine with an ohm meter but jump gaps once it gets all excited.

since there is no good test method, this is a case where when in doubt, you just replace.

Yeah, fair enough. An easy and inexpensive spare to carry.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: No Start - Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Resistance measurements on a coil are a good first step to test for open-circuit, but useless to test for a shorted turn. If just one turn in either the primary or secondary has gone short to a neighbour, then the inductance plummets, and the coil won't produce any spark.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a "No Start", Pump Relay Term 87 voltage always On? Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Reading tonight at a lower temperature across the primary terminals the reading I get in ohms with the meter in aito mode is 001.1 dropping to 000.8.
Okay the neg. lead to the secondary HT center to either the pos. or neg terminals is 4.02-.03.
Seems to be a bit low if the info I found about testing coils was accurate saying it should no lower then 11.0 and normal around 13. or better.

So if my quick measurements of the coil I put in were the same - how is it running?
Or in my haste to get it done I made a mistake?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: