Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

State Farm Agent in San Diego
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark Addison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

My long time State Farm agent has passed away and his office has closed. My policies, including collector car on my Vanagon, have been assigned to another agent in Costa Mesa. I live in San Diego now, and would prefer a local agent. Can anybody recommend a State Farm agent in San Diego who understands the needs of collector car owners?
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

call hagerty.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
call hagerty.

If it s a camper or used for camping, they want no part of insuring the Van.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clark Addison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Just want to clarify: I'm happy with State Farm and have a long track record with them. I'm not looking to switch carriers, just looking for a good State Farm agent in San Diego.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:
call hagerty.

If it s a camper or used for camping, they want no part of insuring the Van.

Can't help on a State Farm agent, but sorry to hear about their passing. I have Hagerty on our camper registered in Florida. It is not our primary vehicle. No limitations I am aware of for use. So, maybe Hagerty is insuring vanagon campers now at least in Florida. Its an agreed value policy.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

i have my camper also registered in PA with hagerty with no issues. ive had it on my policy for over 15 years.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Jake not dead, he was replaced

https://www.thethings.com/jake-from-state-farm-replaced-kevin-miles/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Clark Addison wrote:
My long time State Farm agent has passed away and his office has closed. My policies, including collector car on my Vanagon, have been assigned to another agent in Costa Mesa. I live in San Diego now, and would prefer a local agent. Can anybody recommend a State Farm agent in San Diego who understands the needs of collector car owners?

Just go with the agent who they assigned to you. What is it you think a local agent will do for you the Costa Mesa agent won’t?

I’m curious of your dealings with SF agents and what they have done for you in the past besides sell you a policy or two.

Believe me when I tell you that I know a thing or two about the subject.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Mine was Jane Bonavita in NY who just retired. She was fantastic the few times we had issues over 30 years. SWMBO once did the double tap with someone in a parking lot , teo people backing into each other , bumper to bumper. Other driver then tried to call us st fault. I watched her pick up the phone , call the other agent , and tell them to pound sand. I could feel the GirlPower

I’ve heard all the upper management are hot and married to Wankers , though
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mine was Jane Bonavita in NY who just retired. She was fantastic the few times we had issues over 30 years. SWMBO once did the double tap with someone in a parking lot , teo people backing into each other , bumper to bumper. Other driver then tried to call us st fault. I watched her pick up the phone , call the other agent , and tell them to pound sand. I could feel the GirlPower

Shame on you Your memory is a little foggy. State Farm agents are not claims handlers. Agents sell policies. They certainly are not calling another insurance company’s claims dept. Your agent may have called a SF claims handler for you. You would’ve been dealing with a claims handler after that. It would’ve been quicker just to call the claims department yourself. Especially after hours when your agent is no longer in the office.

One of the top rated insurance companies doesn’t have agents.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

I completely disagree. I've been with the same insurance company for 30 some years in five different states. The quality of the agent matters. Some are service oriented, quickly respond and provide helpful information. Others are unhelpful, make assumptions about coverage without explaining their choices and can be no fun to chat with.

I have an agent in another state who I still call with questions and he patiently walks me through the explanation.

Plus, the OP wants a local agent. I'm guessing that they like to walk into an office and discuss things in-person. Not that things can't be handled on the phone but sometimes it's preferable to be in person.

Xevin wrote:

Just go with the agent who they assigned to you. What is it you think a local agent will do for you the Costa Mesa agent won’t?

I’m curious of your dealings with SF agents and what they have done for you in the past besides sell you a policy or two.

Believe me when I tell you that I know a thing or two about the subject.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

OP: good luck with the search. I recommend finding a few agents near you and going to their office with a question to see how they respond. I recently changed agents and after going with one who was a bit of a jerk (and careless or incompetent) before I selected a different agent.

Here's hoping someone has a reccomendation for you.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
OP: good luck with the search. I recommend finding a few agents near you and going to their office with a question to see how they respond. I recently changed agents and after going with one who was a bit of a jerk (and careless or incompetent) before I selected a different agent.

Here's hoping someone has a reccomendation for you.

What happened that you found an agent careless or incompetent? The OP could learn from this. I’m also trying to understand why a local office is better then a phone call to an out of town office.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Here is one. Tim Giblin was once a friend / acquaintance, he's a really good guy, it's been his office for decades. I never bought insurance from him, since I've always been happy with AAA insurance (cars and home).

Tim Giblin - State Farm Insurance Agent
Address: 133 S Escondido Blvd, Escondido, CA 92025
Phone: (760) 741-1188

Reviews: 4.9 (out of 94)

https://www.timgiblin.com/
Clark Addison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Here's why a good agent is important.

In the 1990s I shared a boat with a partner. One day he was towing it on the freeway, got sideswiped, and the boat came off the trailer. I was at home at the time. It was insured under my policy.

After they paid it off, they canceled my boat insurance. Within the next few weeks my homeowners and my Porsche insurance got canceled. Remember, I was at home when the accident occurred. I looked around for other coverage, and got a painful lesson in the cost of Porsche insurance. Finally I went to another State Farm agent. He explained that my former agent had written some bad policies and had no clout with the company. The new guy did, and all my polices were restored at the old prices.

Even though I moved from Orange County to San Diego some 25 years ago, I stayed with this agent, until he passed away a couple of weeks ago and his office closed. That's why I'm looking for a recommendation in San Diego.

Don't think that agents don't matter.

Last edited by Clark Addison on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Agent can really make a difference. Mine has directed me in smart directions about insurance I didn't know existed. (Safeco is my carrier)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

What happened that you found an agent careless or incompetent? The OP could learn from this. I’m also trying to understand why a local office is better then a phone call to an out of town office.

1 - Homeowners policy written for the incorrect property with multiple errors: instead of a rectangular foundation with four corners it was written for an L shaped foundation with six corners. The sq ft was off by 800. Multiple other errors I had to catch. I provided all the documentation needed and it was ignored.
2 - Same policy was cancelled by the insurance company for lack of required information and reinstating before the cancellation date was a PITA because the agent was slow to respond, a lousy communicator and generally careless. They didn't seem to take the cancellation and reinstatement seriously at all.
3 - An auto policy was cancelled by the insurance company because the agent screwed something up. It's insured with them again.

I've been with this company 30 years, with multiple policy types sold by multiple agents ranging from 'competent' to 'damn good!' but this agent is a mess. I wouldn't take the insurance company's lottery choice for an agent w/out confirming they'll earn the sale.

As for a local office, sometimes it's nice to walk into the office and chat. Some good comes out of those conversations. It's also nice to know my insurance agent lives in the community, has coffee at the local coffee shop, etc. It's not a requirement by any means but it's nice. I'm buying a product and part of the product is friendly, knowledgable service and sometimes a comfortable chair to sit in when discussing the product.

Speaking of State Farm (not my company) and running into insurance agents at the coffee the tall dude in this photo is a State Farm agent (Brent Amaker) in West Seattle and I occasionally run into him at the coffee shop and ask him about his gigs. Local is nice.

https://kexp.org/read/2016/5/19/live-video-brent-amaker-and-the-rodeo/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Shame on you Your memory is a little foggy. State Farm agents are not claims handlers. Agents sell policies. They certainly are not calling another insurance company’s claims dept. Your agent may have called a SF claims handler for you. You would’ve been dealing with a claims handler after that. It would’ve been quicker just to call the claims department yourself. Especially after hours when your agent is no longer in the office.

She literally did this in front of me. I recall the conversation near verbatim. The other agent said they had a witness, which was the drivers mother in a building across the street.

We had no claim, no claim against us, it just went away.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

She literally did this in front of me. I recall the conversation near verbatim. The other agent said they had a witness, which was the drivers mother in a building across the street.

We had no claim, no claim against us, it just went away.

Maybe two agents broke some rules??? Agents are not allowed to make decisions regarding liability, regardless of who they think is at fault. That is strictly for claims handlers. Even if the agent was a former claims handler before they got their agency. They are not allowed to make those decisions. Because it was 30 years ago. Maybe the agents went rogue because the internet, social media, cameras on phones were not around like today.

I’m glad people find their agent beneficial to their policy or policies. I still scratch my head about driving to an agents office. For me it seems like a waste of time and gas.
I have had my insurance with the same company when I bought my first car in 1986. It’s USAA. One of the best in the business. No sales agents.

“What are the best insurance companies for 2022?
According to our 2022 data, the best car insurance company is USAA, but its insurance products are only available to members of the military community. If that doesn’t apply to you, the next best option is State Farm, which holds the No. 2 spot in our analysis.”
US News and World Report.

SF is very important to me as well but not for insurance reasons. Again, I’m glad the agents provide services that customers find beneficial.

Ask your agent about a PLUP, or Personal Liability Umbrella Policy. Get that and you shouldn’t need to speak to an agent again unless you want to increase your liability coverage. It gets increased in $1,000,000 increments. SF has a great PLUP product.

An agent worth their salt should try and sell you the most liability insurance you can afford. It helps his income and protects you. Don’t skimp on liability insurance.

Keep in mind. The agent has very little to do with a claim. They might follow up with a claims handler, if the claims handler is demonstrating poor customer service. The agent doesn’t want to lose a customer.

Sorry Clark I could not come up with an agent closer to you. My buddy’s friend near PB retired and nobody else personally knew agents in the area. Good luck on your quest.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: State Farm Agent in San Diego Reply with quote

The google machine could sort this for you.

I kept my old broker even after I moved 150 then 200 MILES AWAY. He still responds to emails and answers my calls.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: