Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

Hey folks! This week my van passed inspection! Thats the first time in over 10 years (that I know of!) and I am so pleased to bring an old van back into the world.

Now I'm having "fun" and repairing that huge list of "little problems" and "gremlins". I needed a break from underbody work so I found an old little 411 radio at the junkyard and figured i'd try to install it. For the first time I took a look at this rats nest, a vanagon common occurrence I am finding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So it is a 1981 AC Vanagon, and even looking through the Bently all the wires are different, and in the other manual it Doesn't really have anything about the radio at all.

Can anyone use their infinite wisdom to help me decipher this? Appreciate any help you can give!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

It's very simple, you just gotta follow basics and logic.
It's my favorite job for customers to fix rats nests.
I just swapped a 1985 manual transmission wiring harness into a 1982 automatic aircooled last week.
The blue wires and that brown wire in you hand are not factory, you'll have to trace them to see if they are connected to factory speaker wires or what,
but best is to start from the doors for that, then see what's left .
The cigarette lighter power (red) and ground (light brown) are daisy chained off the radio, so go back upstream from the cigarette lighter wire and follow them towards the fuse panel to find where the butchery happened. The cigarette lighters are rarely tampered with.
Some speaker wires are brown with a white tracer, that's not to be confused with chassis ground for the radio power. (red wire and brown wire)
As for the speakers, open the glove box or take it out, check the right door, you'll find the speaker wires coming out of it, see the original colors, follow them toward the radio to see if/where they have been cut/modified.
Same with driver door.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

As long as you can find the 12v constant power and pull acc from the ignition. I pulled new wires for the new speakers and back up camera
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

Brown is ground
Usually red is +12v ALWAYS HOT not ignition controlled.
The other colors? The blues, greens, purples are speakers. Each speaker is color coded. Usually a pair has the same colors but one has a stripe on it.

Being so old, there probably isn't an electric antennae wire or a switched 12 volt.

At least the PO left them long!
Mine were cut to an inch of their life!

Quite easy actually........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

The factory connector can be purchased new with pins. I purchased one from here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303595280111

Crutchfield also sells adapter harness from the OEM plug to an aftermarket head unit so you don't have to splice everything like the PO did.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
The factory connector can be purchased new with pins. I purchased one from here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303595280111

Crutchfield also sells adapter harness from the OEM plug to an aftermarket head unit so you don't have to splice everything like the PO did.

That's for newer radios, older ones pre-1986 ish had a single white connector in the Vanagon

It all depends on what deck he's gonna install in the end, but I bet the VW 411 radio must be even a different connector than the early Vanagons....
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

Excellent opprotunity to get a multimeter if you dont already have one. You can trace and isolate every wire, find your grounds and hot leads. 12V DC isnt to tough usually.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
Excellent opprotunity to get a multimeter if you dont already have one. You can trace and isolate every wire, find your grounds and hot leads. 12V DC isnt to tough usually.

this is the truth.
if you can gain a knowledge of what wires are supposed to be there and where they are supposed to go from the bentley diagram, then the colors are irrelevant except for tracing their physical path.

what is a 411 radio?
if it is an "old VW" radio why are you wasting your time installing it in your van? some of them are quite valuable to persons who want "the one" that their VW/Porsche/Opel/Whatever could have come with.

sell it and buy something modern for your ride Wink
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

I'll post this once again. The search function would have found this for you.

taken from www.Vanagonauts.com

86 - 91 stereo wiring

stereo wiring colors
Year(s): 1986 - 1991
Model/Type: Vanagon

Power leads
Constant 12V+ -------- Red/White
Switched 12V+ -------- n/a
Ground ------------------ Brown
Illumination ------------ Gray/Blue
Dimmer ----------------- n/a

Front Speakers
Left Front (+) ----------- White/Black
Left Front (-) ------------ Brown/White
Right Front (+) --------- Green/Black
Right Front (-) ---------- Brown
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) ------------ White/Black
Left Rear (-) ------------- Brown/Black
Right Rear (+) ---------- Green/Black
Right Rear (-)------------ Brown

80 - 85 Vanagon

Red - Power (fuse 9)
Brown - Ground
Blue/Grey - Illumination. There are two wires, the wires are pigtailed at the radio (wire comes from behind the driver console, connects to the radio, then goes onto the illumination light for the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter)

Red/Brown - Right front speaker (+)
Brown - Right front speaker (-)
Red/Brown - Left front speaker (+)
Brown - Left front speaker (-)
Note: the wires for the left and right front speakers are bonded together similar to home stereo wiring

Blue - Left rear speaker (+)
Red - Right rear speaker (+)
Grey - Left and Right rear speaker (-)
Note: the rear speaker harness contains only 3 wires - shared left and right rear speaker (-)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vangon Radio Previous Owner Carnage. Help! Reply with quote

For posterity the factory connector for a 1985 stereo, and possibly since production and up to 85 is 171035447B

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: