Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California proposes to ban chrome plating
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Typical brainless knee-jerk enviro-wokeness.

California’s 58 large chrome platers produced less than 1% of hexavalent chromium pollution, according to state data. The vast majority comes from burning fossil fuels. Cement production and lumber industries also emit more.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

The hazardous waste in chrome plating is a major Gov't concern. The local chrome shop turns away a lot of work because they are always swamped.

I noticed one of the big California VW parts mail order places recently moved to Oklahoma.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Typical brainless knee-jerk enviro-wokeness.

California’s 58 large chrome platers produced less than 1% of hexavalent chromium pollution, according to state data. The vast majority comes from burning fossil fuels. Cement production and lumber industries also emit more.

exactly.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

I find it interesting that most people that consistently worry and even obsess about California and Californians, have never been, much less lived there. Much ado about nothing, but how else do you get subscribers ? Laughing

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

I was born here and lived here all my life. I defend Cal often, but I'll also criticize it when it's called for, which it does with increased frequency!
Taxes, regulation, Crazy Train,... and "do something...ANYthing" legislation that "sells" in the media but does nothing for a problem... like this example.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

More car related companies that will be moving out of California, for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I find it interesting that most people that consistently worry and even obsess about California and Californians, have never been, much less lived there. Much ado about nothing, but how else do you get subscribers ? Laughing

Rolling Eyes

whether someone has 'been there' or not,would not preclude them from being able to use reason and logic to form a reasonable conclusion about this topic and many others. ymmv.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

I dunno trusting the plating industry is the the right path here.

https://www.pressenterprise.com/2012/08/02/riverside-groundwater-testing-begins-at-superfund-site/

https://calmatters.org/environment/2022/03/california-drinking-water-standard-hexavalent-chromium/

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

trust has nothing to do with it. from your article:

"When the levels were established in 1977, it wasn’t known that chromium-6 in drinking water is a likely carcinogen, based on tests on rats and mice."

so to reframe your point, the fact that ,at the time, the industry leaders of ONE company had this happen becasue the science given to them by the EPA no less,wasnt correct and this happened, therefore :the ENTIRE industry is purposefully misleading people to contaminate their water? haha. i dont think thats a reasonable take. no person that owns and runs a plating operation makes enough money to justify the type of behavior youre implying. its simply not worth it. between compliance, training, operational costs, trucking cossts, etc? come on. stop with the paranoia and looka t what the governor of this state is doing. he is using his greenwashing bs to try to leverage his way to the white house. as with every other politician ever from any era ever does. they sell you out and get you wound up about 'threats' and use it to justify that theyre 'saving' the trees and babies and butterflies. bs. Twisted Evil
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Honestly, I thought all the chrome plating was already illegal in CA. Everyone I've known has taken stuff to Tijuana.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
trust has nothing to do with it. from your article:

"When the levels were established in 1977, it wasn’t known that chromium-6 in drinking water is a likely carcinogen, based on tests on rats and mice."

so to reframe your point, the fact that ,at the time, the industry leaders of ONE company had this happen becasue the science given to them by the EPA no less,wasnt correct and this happened, therefore :the ENTIRE industry is purposefully misleading people to contaminate their water? haha. i dont think thats a reasonable take. no person that owns and runs a plating operation makes enough money to justify the type of behavior youre implying. its simply not worth it. between compliance, training, operational costs, trucking cossts, etc? come on. stop with the paranoia and looka t what the governor of this state is doing. he is using his greenwashing bs to try to leverage his way to the white house. as with every other politician ever from any era ever does. they sell you out and get you wound up about 'threats' and use it to justify that theyre 'saving' the trees and babies and butterflies. bs. Twisted Evil

The second article is from 2022. The amount of contamination across CA is more widespread that that one superfund site- isn't that obvious?
you know what's more expensive then treating and safely disposing of hazardous materials? just dumping the. that's the case every single time. its only expensive if you get caught and that's why that company got shut down. issues with this stuff has been going on for decades. Ever heard or Erin Brockovich?

Removing a substantial amount of carcinogens from anywhere is a good idea. Shiny bumpers aren't worth more than babies.

"State data shows that 129 community drinking water systems serving more than 4.1 million people have reported hexavalent chromium levels above the proposed standard. In addition, 51 systems serving institutions and businesses — including 11 schools — and three water wholesalers exceed the proposed limit. (Some wells may no longer be supplying water to residents.)

"The highest level reported by the state is in Ventura County, where one drinking water well was reported with 173 parts per billion — more than 17 times higher than the proposed standard.

Some contamination, such as in the Coachella Valley, is naturally occurring. Some, like in the San Fernando Valley, is linked to industrial contamination. And some may be a combination of both."

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

a case study in fallacies. nobody 'just dumps' anything out, for one( the price of doing so is built into the cost ,so again, ...?). the articles you posted do not say that anywhere. so i dont know where youre getting that from. more tinfoil hat stuff honestly. given that someone somewhere IS dumping their chemicals, the rate of that is far below the amount to cause the widespread damages youre implying. nobody chromes bumpers anymore for production, when was the last new car you saw with a chrome bumper?! have you ever done plating? do you know what hexovalent chromium is? do you know how much it costs to remove and treat the waste ? do you know what you know because you 'think it may be the case' or do you empirically know it? it sounds like youve not worked in plating and do not know the trade well enough to understand,which is totally reasonable. however acting like the solution is as simple is as crazy as it gets. i tend to listen to people about tpoics they are very informed about, not emotional reactions to fear and speculation. remember the state of california belives that everything known to mankind 'causes cancer" and yet the stat still cant cure cancer. this is virtue signalling at its finest , its not reality.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

chrome plating is used in the medical industry for a variety of things like implants and the like, its used for marine castings , its used for specialty coatings on products that run water treatment facilities, hospitals, etc...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

alcohol has been known to cause cancer in california, are they going to ban that too? it affects WAY more than the 4.1 million you cite above. if they TRULY cared about your health then why do they allow you to purchase this toxic product with reckless abandon? it gets dumped out into the ground all the time, oh but i guess it doesnt have ascary name like hexovalent chromium' so ya know...salad dressings with vinegar cause cancer. certain rocks in the earth emit radioactive isotopes, so is california going to ban the bedrock too? no more salads, no more wine, if i didnt know better id think that this is just a bad faith argument on your part.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
a case study in fallacies. nobody 'just dumps' anything out, for one( the price of doing so is built into the cost ,so again, ...?). the articles you posted do not say that anywhere. so i dont know where youre getting that from. more tinfoil hat stuff honestly. given that someone somewhere IS dumping their chemicals, the rate of that is far below the amount to cause the widespread damages youre implying. nobody chromes bumpers anymore for production, when was the last new car you saw with a chrome bumper?! have you ever done plating? do you know what hexovalent chromium is? do you know how much it costs to remove and treat the waste ? do you know what you know because you 'think it may be the case' or do you empirically know it? it sounds like youve not worked in plating and do not know the trade well enough to understand,which is totally reasonable. however acting like the solution is as simple is as crazy as it gets. i tend to listen to people about tpoics they are very informed about, not emotional reactions to fear and speculation. remember the state of california belives that everything known to mankind 'causes cancer" and yet the stat still cant cure cancer. this is virtue signalling at its finest , its not reality.

Full size and midsize trucks have chrome bumpers.

Im sure it is expensive to remove and treat the waste from plating. How would you explain the high concentrations of hexovalent chromium in areas that are currently of have been areas of plating shops?

The Alcohol argument is weak. I choose to consume alcohol knowing the risks. When i drink water i dont assume i could get cancer, asthma or something else like that. Unless i lived in detroit i guess. Maybe salad carries that risk because the water used to irrigate the crops has h chromium in it?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

Full size and midsize trucks have chrome bumpers.

Im sure it is expensive to remove and treat the waste from plating. How would you explain the high concentrations of hexovalent chromium in areas that are currently of have been areas of plating shops?

The Alcohol argument is weak. I choose to consume alcohol knowing the risks. When i drink water i dont assume i could get cancer, asthma or something else like that. Unless i lived in detroit i guess. Maybe salad carries that risk because the water used to irrigate the crops has h chromium in it?

my friend, you have much to discover. read the back of a balsamic vinegar label and report back. so you chose to consume things that give you cancer but thats ok? im confused. take off the tinfoil hat and go read up, you have much to find.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

What happens when the arbitrary "standards" set by government go too far?

These rules become just another money making machine for layers... and power plays for politicians.

Same thing with the endangered species act... suddenly there are threatened subspecies everywhere. Nobody can build anything anymore because of some snail.

Every Government program gets twisted toward evil and greed, eventually.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
What happens when the arbitrary "standards" set by government go too far?

These rules become just another money making machine for layers... and power plays for politicians.

Same thing with the endangered species act... suddenly there are threatened subspecies everywhere. Nobody can build anything anymore because of some snail.

Every Government program gets twisted toward evil and greed, eventually.

lawyers are making plenty of money already, there is no reason for them to create new work. there is not ever a shortage of legal work. any good lawyer or bad one will tell you they prefer to settle and not waste time and money, in other words a lawyer makes more money when a case does not take a long time, just like anyone else. so the resoning that they need to create a false need for it by creating legal obstacles is a fallacy. politicians, sure, they make this into poilitcal gold. they also create hysteria and fear by doing so. "facts be damned i want power!"

the amount of species that has lived and died ,and gone extinct on this planet: 99.9% of ALL specied that have EVER lived are extinct already. the average lfetime of a species is between 1-10 million years. what does that tell you? it stands to reason that trying to 'save' a species from what is ultimately inevitable is a fools errand.

your last point about all governments ending up in greed and what not falls into this category:

The Worst-Case Fallacy (also, "Just in case;" "We can't afford to take chances;" "An abundance of caution;" "Better Safe than Sorry;" "Better to prevent than to lament."): A pessimistic fallacy by which one’s reasoning is based on an improbable, far-fetched or even completely imaginary worst-case scenario rather than on reality. This plays on pathos (fear) rather than reason, and is often politically motivated. E.g., "What if armed terrorists were to attack your county grain elevator tomorrow morning at dawn? Are you ready to fight back? Better stock up on assault rifles and ammunition today, just in case!" See also Scare Tactics. The opposite of this is the Positive Thinking Fallacy.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

lawyers are making plenty of money already, there is no reason for them to create new work. there is not ever a shortage of legal work. any good lawyer or bad one will tell you they prefer to settle and not waste time and money, in other words a lawyer makes more money when a case does not take a long time, just like anyone else. so the resoning that they need to create a false need for it by creating legal obstacles is a fallacy.

That's a good point and I think my anger is misdirected here. It is the enviro-statists that employ the lawyers that are the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: