Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California proposes to ban chrome plating
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
heimlich wrote:
Someone else watches Leto. He explains very well.

Banning it will only create more problems. Prices are already high for chrome plating. As they go higher a guy in his back yard will start doing it and dump the waste down the drain.

California legislators never understand this inescapable logic. At the risk of getting political, this also affects debates/laws on guns and abortion. Not debating those here, just pointing out the forgotten effect of human nature when mistakenly believing making a law in some faraway building is the last word.

I sometimes think they like to create Unintended Consequences. It creates more work for the legislators so people think they actually do something.

I think it creates more work for cities out of state. Like Austin 😉

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

That's good work for Texas.

Texas for as long as I can remember has a lot of out of state license plates. Whenever there is a recession or bad economy (in the rest of the country) they flood into the state. We never feel the full force of the economic downturns. Usually when it hits us the rest of the country is just starting to recover so we see very little of it. Makes you wonder what every other state is doing wrong. People don't come to Houston for the heat and humidity that's for sure.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Xevin wrote:

That's good work for Texas.

Texas for as long as I can remember has a lot of out of state license plates

Texas does have a lot cars with different license plates driving around. Texas has three of the top 10 most populous cities in the US.

A lot of those out of state plates are from the huge military bases with personnel transferred in and some huge universities with out of state students.

Texas is a cool place to live regardless.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Especially if you're a white dude!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Texas is minority white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Texas is minority white.

Unofficial counts have it as possibly being hispanic by +1%.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with who has it better.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Texas is minority white.

Why is it that a certain someone always has to make ANY subject on ANY forum political? Texas is a cool place. What's political about that? Get a life!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

The government Census isn't official?

Everyone in America is lucky to be born here and to be here now. I'd rather be anywhere in America right now than to be King of any country 100, 200, 500 years ago. I'd rather be here now than be a billionaire 75 years ago. We've all got it pretty good.

My wife was born into communism. She said no where except in America do "poor" people own cars.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

To say Texas is either good or bad has no correct answer, both are true. I’ve been to DFW metro and surrounding suburbs. Been down to Houston, have relatives there. Austin, Luckenbach, Fredericksburg all the hill country, cancer alley all along the coast. Galveston, San Antonio. Etc. each area unique in its own way. Different people different problems depending on where you are, huge and vast. Unrelated I know but they have great roads compared to little old Oklahoma.

Oh and we have plating shops here. Bring your plating work here.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
My wife was born into communism. She said no where except in America do "poor" people own cars.
Not so different from the Soviets comments on invading eastern Germany in late 1944/1945: the Soviets couldn't get over that the German homes had wood non-dirt floors and inside plumbing, they couldn't fathom why Germany felt it was worthwhile to invade Soviet Union with dirt floor homes, no plumbing, etc....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To say Texas is either good or bad has no correct answer, both are true. I’ve been to DFW metro and surrounding suburbs. Been down to Houston, have relatives there. Austin, Luckenbach, Fredericksburg all the hill country, cancer alley all along the coast. Galveston, San Antonio. Etc. each area unique in its own way. Different people different problems depending on where you are, huge and vast. Unrelated I know but they have great roads compared to little old Oklahoma.

Oh and we have plating shops here. Bring your plating work here.

Gen. Philip Sheridan said it best: “If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell” Razz
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Texas is minority white.

So is Orange County in So Cal and Napa Valley in Nor Cal. And many parts of California.
Glad you live in Utopia where it’s kind to all. Where do you live?

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

Why is it that a certain someone always has to make ANY subject on ANY forum political? Texas is a cool place. What's political about that? Get a life!

HA, HA, Ha! Wanna talk about California or the education system, again?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
crofty wrote:
heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Texas is minority white.

So is Orange County in So Cal and Napa Valley in Nor Cal. And many parts of California.
Glad you live in Utopia where it’s kind to all. Where do you live?

Link

I never said anything about Utopia.

Some States are better for minorities and women. All states could be better. a lot better.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

I heard many of the teachers in California schools put their kids in private schools. That's like owning a restaurant and not eating your own food. Have you seen the test scores on reading and math?

Texas isn't that much better. I had to do a lot of remedial work in order to prepare myself for college courses. I can't believe taxpayers actually pay for that crap. I can teach myself better.

The problem is with government run schools. They have a monopoly on education. Anywhere there is a monopoly there is no incentive for improvement.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

The government Census isn't official?

Everyone in America is lucky to be born here and to be here now. I'd rather be anywhere in America right now than to be King of any country 100, 200, 500 years ago. I'd rather be here now than be a billionaire 75 years ago. We've all got it pretty good.

Of course it is-

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/TX

According to the 2020 (most recent) that was not the case but its been a few years.

Hispanic or Latino, percent(b) 40.2%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent 40.3%

I wouldnt want to be anywhere other than here right now either but i wish it was good for everyone here. Its foolish to think that it is or has been.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

I heard many of the teachers in California schools put their kids in private schools. That's like owning a restaurant and not eating your own food. Have you seen the test scores on reading and math?

Texas isn't that much better. I had to do a lot of remedial work in order to prepare myself for college courses. I can't believe taxpayers actually pay for that crap. I can teach myself better.

The problem is with government run schools. They have a monopoly on education. Anywhere there is a monopoly there is no incentive for improvement.

Its all about money. The more wealthy the district the more money they get for their schools. Good teachers don't want to go to "problem" schools where they could have such a great impact.

Texas is doing better then California in some findings but both are pretty low. I guess its a monopoly but if a change is suggested people lose their minds. Just look at new math or teaching kids actual history. People lost their minds!

There i go getting all political again... Smile

HamburgerBrad wrote:

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

I wouldnt want to be anywhere other than here right now either but i wish it was good for everyone here. Its foolish to think that it is or has been.

I was speaking with my wife about this the other day. To me there will always be some type of inequality. It is inescapable.

The more government handouts there are the more people who will find a way to take them.

If you really want to change it why don't you sell everything you own and give your money to charity. Live on the bare essentials. I will do as I beleive. Don't make the government steal from me and give it to causes I don't agree with.

Last edited by heimlich on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Its all about money. The more wealthy the district the more money they get for their schools. Good teachers don't want to go to "problem" schools where they could have such a great impact.

We solved this back in the 90's. It's called the Robin Hood Act. The State capped the amount of money a district could bring in through taxes. In Texas schools are funded through property tax. Districts would increase the tax to get more money. Texas capped the amounts and took any excess and distributed it to other districts.

If you look at Charter Schools they are having success of educating better than the government and for the same price.

Last edited by heimlich on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: California proposes to ban chrome plating Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
crofty wrote:

I was speaking with my wife about this the other day. To me there will always be some type of inequality. It is inescapable.

If you really want to change it why don't you sell everything you own and give your money to charity. Live on the bare essentials. I will do as I beleive. Don't make the government steal from me and give it to causes I don't agree with.

I think we could do a better job at narrowing the gap. I think of all the great things people could have done for society if they had a chance...

I already give money to charity and live on the essentials. Its called "child support"!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: