Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp 5.120 Hbeam rods
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: 40hp 5.120 Hbeam rods Reply with quote

Finally new aa pistons 40hp 5.120 h beam rods
👇👇👇👇
https://aapistons.com/products/chromoly-h-beam-rods-40hp-vw-type-1

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

Very nice - glad to hear of this.

The next time I have to split my big bore 40hp case I'll see about adding a set of these after the necessary measuring, rod bearing refresh and deck height checking.

Ted
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

i had them made 5 years ago , but with 22mm pins. i used them for 85.5 (1470cc) and 90.5mm (1647cc) 40hp kits. i even designed them with offset like the stock ones.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

According to their website the rod length is 5.110", not 5.140". Hopefully it's a typo, otherwise they'll be slightly shorter than stock 40hp rods. It may not seem like much, but since their 77mm 40hp pistons already have the wrong height which results in excessive deck, adding in shorter rods means more machining and a narrower engine; now your exhaust doesn't want to fit, the intake manifold needs adjustment/bending, the tinware might need trimmed....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
According to their website the rod length is 5.110", not 5.140". Hopefully it's a typo, otherwise they'll be slightly shorter than stock 40hp rods. It may not seem like much, but since their 77mm 40hp pistons already have the wrong height which results in excessive deck, adding in shorter rods means more machining and a narrower engine; now your exhaust doesn't want to fit, the intake manifold needs adjustment/bending, the tinware might need trimmed....

I just think its a typo on their part do to the fact you can clearly see their rods on the pictures it does say 5.140 not 5.110 their description is wrong .....
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I just think its a typo on their part do to the fact you can clearly see their rods on the pictures it does say 5.140 not 5.110 their description is wrong .....

Maybe it's a difference in interpretation, but what I see clearly written on the pictured rods reads 5.1" 40 (note the inch unit marking and space before the 40), not 5.140 without the inch unit marking and space. To me it's conveying the information of a length of 5.1 inches and the number 40 to denote it has the wider big end and 20mm wrist pin small end for use on a 40 horse crank. Think
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Maybe it's a difference in interpretation, but what I see clearly written on the pictured rods reads 5.1" 40 (note the inch unit marking and space before the 40), not 5.140 without the inch unit marking and space. To me it's conveying the information of a length of 5.1 inches and the number 40 to denote it has the wider big end and 20mm wrist pin small end for use on a 40 horse crank. Think

OK I've talked to aapistons awhile ago though email ...yeah they informed me that the rods are 5.110 but that the 5.1" 40 on the 40hp rods the 40 was to indicate it was for the 40hp they said that they asked the manufacturer to add 40H but they didnt they also inform me that the rods they measured a while ago were measured at 5.120 and I guess some measured 5. 110 so it looks like they may have had a problem with the manufacturer giving 2 different sizes but 5.120 should be the correct 40hp size .....so they are checking up on this problem ...so maybe it was good to see the miscommunication on their part and the manufacturer and the buyers 👍👍👍👍👍
AA Performance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

Hey, Dario here from AA! So the rods are all 5.120 just to be clear. They put the wrong number on the website description. And yeah that is correct the 40 stamp on the rods is to signify they are 40HP rods. They should have stamped them 5.120 40H. Sorry for the confusion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

AA Performance wrote:
Hey, Dario here from AA! So the rods are all 5.120 just to be clear. They put the wrong number on the website description. And yeah that is correct the 40 stamp on the rods is to signify they are 40HP rods. They should have stamped them 5.120 40H. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the info 👍👍
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.140 h beam rods Reply with quote

Good news. Thumbs Up
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp 5.120 Hbeam rods Reply with quote

I will also add in,

I just spoke with AA,

they just weighed the Rods at 1.05 LBS
and 1.15 LBS with bolts on the scale.

I do not know the weight of the original 40HP rods. anyone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: