Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 rear hub
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbodfx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Hi folks - I have a race car in my shop that features a mix of driveline parts from different manufacturers. I am going through the rear uprights now and have identified the stub axle and hub as type 4 VW. The only odd part is that the hub has a bolt circle diameter of 4 x 95. While googling this stuff i've only found hubs with a bolt circle of 4 x 130. Did VW ever make these hubs with the dimensions i have here or is this a custom part? It has not been modified (i.e. there is no evidence that the holes were welded up and re-drilled). Any help or a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Hello!

What features tell you its type 4?

There were never any type 4 that were not 4 x 130.

However, the type 3 rear brake system is 100% identical to type 4...backing plate, brake cylinders, shoes, hardware and drum. The rear stub axle geometry is 100% identical to fit all of that hardware.

But, the similarity ends there. The type 4 rear stub axle uses a pair of tapered roller bearings with a spacer...and splines into its inner CV hub and is held with a 14mm bolt.

The outer bearing cover ....while its the same casting as type 1/3....its machined totally different and has a type 4 part # and does not interchange with type 1or 3.

And....several companies have made blank hubs/stubs for type 3 to drill your own wheel circle.

I found an exhaustive (almost) list today of bolt circles for almost every brand.

Only three brands...all British....have a 4 x 95.25 bolt circle....MG, Lotus and Rover.

Pictures please!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbodfx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Let me start by stating that I know very little about VW cars/parts so please excuse any ignorance. I identified the stuff as type 4 just going off google searches and dimensions from the info i found. The stub axle is 230mm long, 30mm bearing surfaces, and 12x30mm splines. There is an extra flange welded to it for the brake disc. The hub is 130mm on the O.D., the spline in the hub is 55.5mm long and the bolt pattern is 4x95mm.
Thanks for taking some time to help me sort this out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

turbodfx wrote:
Let me start by stating that I know very little about VW cars/parts so please excuse any ignorance. I identified the stuff as type 4 just going off google searches and dimensions from the info i found. The stub axle is 230mm long, 30mm bearing surfaces, and 12x30mm splines. There is an extra flange welded to it for the brake disc. The hub is 130mm on the O.D., the spline in the hub is 55.5mm long and the bolt pattern is 4x95mm.
Thanks for taking some time to help me sort this out.

[/img]

Hey no problem!

From your pictures......that is type 1 or 3 hardware.....or started that way. It's really odd. The inner CV flange that would normally be just the round part with 6 bolt holes that attaches to the CV joint.

Someone welded.....expertly from the look of it....a square plate to the inner CV hub.

What does that square plate connect to? Oh...wait.....i get it. It had inboard brake disc's.

The outer hub could have been made by a few companies. We would need to see the rest of the trailing arm and the bearing set up to really know what it came from. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbodfx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Hi Ray - Thanks again for looking at this. Like I said before, these parts are on a sports racer that does not use VW suspension. The stub and hub are being used in a magnesium upright from a LeGrand open wheel race car. It uses two ball bearings with a collar in between them. The car was involved in an accident on track and it cracked the L/R hub in several places, hence my search here. From what I can tell, the stub axle is pretty straightforward - it is the hub that has me scratching my head. It looks like VW never made this part with a BCD of 4x95 so I'm starting to think that maybe this one was a blank (no stud holes) that was custom drilled. I have looked unsuccessfully, do you know of anyone that still makes these hubs blank?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Measure the splines....diameter and how many splines and the length of the stub shaft from flange to end.

If it's type 1 or 3.....I would say Check at CB performance or EMPI. Also call Roy at MOFOCO. All of these places not only sell complete brake kits....they also sell hubs and rotor hats that are blank for off road builds using non stock wheels and they are ery knowledgeable about shafts and hubs. They can probably tell from the shaft and spline measurements what car was the donor and where to start for replacement parts. Ray
turbodfx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

I wrote out all of the dimensions in an earlier post. Looks like I'm on the hunt for blank hubs. Thanks for your help
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

A proper looking race shop, btw...
apbos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 rear hub Reply with quote

Did you ever find a solution to your hub assembly problem? I am building a LeGrand MK18 and have run into the same problem.

Regards
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: