Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leveling front end
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmadonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Leveling front end Reply with quote

Hi folks- would appreciate a few thoughts on a 1957 VW bug front end. It was in a dune buggy that I have restored, when sitting on a level surface the driver side front end beam side sits 2 inchs lower to the ground then the passenger side. ( front end is about 200lbs maybe less) I've though maybe coil over shocks would be able to change the height, but from reading most say it will just change stiffness of ride. So is the installation a new set of torsion leaf springs the answer, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something else. Thank You

Thank You for the reply's and suggestions. Turns out to be it was a new shock absorber that was frozen and once compressed would not pull back out.

Last edited by cosmadonic on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling front end Reply with quote

Something may be bent. Check that first, side to side, or to another car.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling front end Reply with quote

Might be bent. I would check the spring pack to make sure they are all there and in line with the grub screws properly seated.
I can’t remember off hand if you can simply turn them end for end. I think the grub screw dimple is different side to side.

How’s the rear?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlainTodd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling front end Reply with quote

If everything checks out ok, you might double-check the rear heights -- I believe that if the rear has been lifted/lowered by adjusting the torsion spring/plate, and whoever did it didn't get the adjustment exactly equal on both sides, so that the passenger side is high (as compared to the driver side), I've been told that it can push the driver side front end low.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: