Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Seam Sealer & POR15
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bug53
Samba Member


Joined: February 22, 2021
Posts: 704
Location: Pawcatuck, CT.
Bug53 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

I replaced my battery tray and welded in a new one.
Standard procedure would be to seal up the patched borderline inside and out with body panel sealant then coat the whole thing with POR15.
By doing that I may get some rust oxidizers trapped under the seam sealant.
Is it better to use the POR15 before and after the seam sealant to get to any residual that might be under the overlapped areas?

Thx.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member


Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 3619
Location: CT
67ctbug is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

It's better to not use POR15 at all. It sucks. If its all clean metal; prep it, prime it with an epoxy sealer, seam seal, black paint.
_________________
'67 Beetle L41
'74 Westfalia
'69 Plymouth "Adam-12"
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member


Joined: February 22, 2021
Posts: 704
Location: Pawcatuck, CT.
Bug53 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
It's better to not use POR15 at all. It sucks. If its all clean metal; prep it, prime it with an epoxy sealer, seam seal, black paint.


Greetings from CT. Dubwerks.
What is the story with your buddy up in Stafford. he doesn't want to reply to any IM's or sell parts?
ISO front bumper blade for a 67.

Surrounding area is lightly rusted, POR15 is great stuff. It chemically neutralizes rust and kills it. I have seen the proof and using it.
Question was seal and POR15 or POR15,Seal,POR15?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member


Joined: May 10, 2013
Posts: 2668
Location: Sydney Australia
viiking is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

Paint first, seal second.

Sealing does not stop rust so paint first.

POR15 does not stick well to unrusty steel. Better to leave it flash rust, then treat with their rust treatment/phosphoric acid/Ospho to produce iron phosphate which is a tenacious primer then POR 15/KBS/any other moisture cured polyurethane!

Alternative for fresh steel is the epoxy route expressed above.
_________________
1968 1500 RHD Lotus White Beetle since birth. In the hospital for major surgery
1966 Lancia Flavia Pininfarina Coupe - in the waiting room
Discharged: 1983 Vanagon, 1974 1800 Microbus,1968 Low Light,1968 Type 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member


Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 3619
Location: CT
67ctbug is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
It's better to not use POR15 at all. It sucks. If its all clean metal; prep it, prime it with an epoxy sealer, seam seal, black paint.


Greetings from CT. Dubwerks.
What is the story with your buddy up in Stafford. he doesn't want to reply to any IM's or sell parts?
ISO front bumper blade for a 67.

Surrounding area is lightly rusted, POR15 is great stuff. It chemically neutralizes rust and kills it. I have seen the proof and using it.
Question was seal and POR15 or POR15,Seal,POR15?

Hi! Couldn't tell you about him selling parts or any of that, that's his thing. If you're set on using POR, I'd use it first, then seam seal it.
_________________
'67 Beetle L41
'74 Westfalia
'69 Plymouth "Adam-12"
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member


Joined: February 22, 2021
Posts: 704
Location: Pawcatuck, CT.
Bug53 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam Sealer & POR15 Reply with quote

[quote="67ctbug"][quote="Bug53"]
67ctbug wrote:
If you're set on using POR, I'd use it first, then seam seal it.


Thx.
I agree with you totally on your approach with the epoxy based primer.
I don't have the paint finishing resources to avail for such a small job.
See you at the CTVWA events.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.