Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Grease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

It's pretty new to me, and so is the vintage VW world. My question: Since it has a retrofitted place for an oil filter, the kind you'd see on a modern car, do I need to disassemble the sump when I change the oil?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Pictures?

Is it a spin on or a cartridge in the sump?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Many of us have aftermarket spin on oil filters. Some are mounted separate from the engine and have have hoses (oil lines) running to them and some mount directly to the oil pump.

There’s most likely no need to disassemble anything, just drain the oil and change the filter.

What type of oil to use is a like opening a can of worms. As far as filters, you can’t go wrong with a Wix or a Napa Gold.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jim Grease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Thanks, fellas. It's a spin-on oil filter, just like you'd find in any modern car, and it's not near the sump itself. I got the oil recs from the dudes in the desert who did some transmission work after I acquired the bus, and I've changed the oil myself once, but I was just wondering how necessary sump disassembly is since it's got the updated filter.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Not sure why you think anything needs to be done to the sump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

If you’re asking if you should remove the factory “screen” in the sump which was the factory filter. The answer is no.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jim Grease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

My bad, y'all - I'm talking about the assembly where the oil plug is, with the cardboard gasket, screen, etc. My apologies for the f'd terminology.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

If the bus is "new to you" I would drop the strainer plate inspect the strainer and the inside of the plate for signs of trouble. Clean it up real good and install it back.

This is something I would think you would want to know initially with your first oil change. Then you can choose to ignore it after that if you like. I say this because my take on that sump strainer is that it keeps any large chunks of matter that get dislodged in the crankcase and will never see the exteral filter, from getting sucked into the pick up for the oil pump.

Mi dos centavos. Idea
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

flame suit on

I would take the sump plate (?) off and clean or replace the screen at least once and/or every 3 or 4 oil changes. The spin on filter, get the cheaper ones and replace them every time the oil is changed or sooner. Check out Ford Boss Me on youtube or similar channels, there are a lot of videos where they cut those filters open and do some rough testing. Interesting stuff.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

on a type 1 engine you can leave the sump plate on, and just pull the plug. check it every 2nd or 3rd oil change, it's only going to stop big particles with the mesh screen anyways, the remote oil filter will catch most everything else.

I use the short filters on mine: K&N 2004, Mobile M1-204, Wix 51068

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Avoid running SAE SF and earlier oils, particularly multigrades (none of which are readily available any more) and check and clean the oil pickup screen the first time you do an oil change. Afterward run something between a 5w30 and 15w40 synthetic and check the screen every 50-100K miles. Assuming your engine wasn't built with extremely loose tolerances, save the 20w50 for when its 115°F+ out.

Pictures of you oil filter setup and any added oil cooler would be nice.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

On a new-to-me engine I would absolutely remove the sump plate and screen, clean, replace. You'll learn a bit about the condition of the engine and how it's been maintained.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Yes do a screen pull and clean. You might find chunks of plastic valve guide seals. Don't freak out if you do. If you find metal than you can freak. Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

You never know what you'll find.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Beautiful lead sludge, don't see much of that anymore, with lead being passe for 40ish years now.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Beautiful lead sludge, don't see much of that anymore, with lead being passe for 40ish years now.

That's the cam lobes from #1 and #3.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

what year bus is this sump plate on? On a 1972-1979 DO NOT tighten the acorn nut to more than 9 ft lbs or it will destroy the engine.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

I think you’ve got your answer
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Grease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 71 has a retrofitted oil filter... Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info, everybody. Greatly appreciated.

Gonna embark on the oil change tomorrow a.m. Deséame suerte por favor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: