Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal blows number 1 fuse???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
downtownbrown27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

Turn signals haven’t worked since I bought it but never blew the fuse just nothing came on. I cleaned up the wiring as there were multiple splices on EVERY wire. I have working brake lights and recently put in reverse lights (switch was still there just wires were pulled and those also work. Just no blinkers. The indicator light on the cluster gauge lights and relay clicks about 3 times then fuse pops. I’ve removed the turn signal switch and wires there look good nothing exposed. Any idea what to check next? Hazards also don’t come on.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

Remove the bulbs to ensure that they are the correct ones, & that they are correctly installed.

If the problem still persists, check the wiring to the light assemblies, these are often connected incorrectly by previous owners/mechanics.

If the problem still exists, trace for broken/chafed/shorted wires.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

I just went through this. Strangely, there was a dual contact bulb in one turn signal. Turn on the signal, shorts between the contacts, POP!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

After you confirm you have the correct bulbs installed in each corner (dual-contact bulbs in dual-contact sockets and single-contact in single-contact sockets), remove the bulbs and test each circuit from the junction up front. You didn't ID your model and year, but many of the STD Beetles have a 4-way junction in the trunk. Look for the black/green (right) and black/white (left) wire colors. They should come together into two 4-way junctions. Each of these junctions has the following 4 wires:
    Front turn signal lamp
    Rear turn signal lamp
    Turn signal switch
    E-Flasher switch

Identify which two wires run to the front and rear. The other two wires connect somewhere around the dash (turn signal & E-Flasher switch) while the corner wires run into harnesses that head to one of the front corners or to the larger harness that runs to the rear. Disconnect the corner wires at this junction at the dash. With the corner bulbs removed and the wires disconnected here at the junctions the corner wires are now completely disconnected. With your multimeter set to read resistance or continuity test each corner wire for continuity to ground. If you find any path to ground it means there is a short to ground along that wire path. Start tracing the wire and look for a short. The most common short location is at wire junctions (sides of the engine compartment or front of trunk) and at the sockets of the light assemblies.

If your wires pass the above test, reinstall the bulbs and test the wires once more. This time you should expect to see a reading of some resistance to ground as the circuit now passes thru the bulb filaments on their way to ground. Expect the rear circuits will have a higher resistance from the longer wire runs. If you find a path with a significantly lower resistance investigate this path. Anything path less than around 2.0ohms will likely blow the fuse when powered.

Let us know what you find.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
downtownbrown27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

Sorry 1970 beetle w sunroof. I did have bulbs out of position. I got them
All in correct positions and now I am no longer blowing fuses but… no lights except dash light indicator for the blinkers comes on and it’s solid no blinking when I turn signal to the left and doesn’t light at all when I turn switch to right. I pulled relay and checked it is fine. When I pull my emergency flashers also nothing. I hate electrical…
downtownbrown27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

Sorry even when i was blowing fuses my relay would give me a few clicks before the fuse blew. Now I’m not even getting relay clicks with either the turn signal or the hazards
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal blows number 1 fuse??? Reply with quote

Bypass the relay:
Check your turn signal and E-Flasher fuses to make sure it is not burnt out.
Remove the flasher relay. Identify which female terminal was connected to the 49(+) terminal of the relay and which was connected to the 49a terminal. Run a jumper wire between these two female terminals.
Disconnect the speedometer turn indicator lamp from the speedometer. Wrap it in a rag so it doesnt short to ground.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
Move the turn signal lever to the left turn position. The left side turn signal corner lamps should turn ON solid. No flashing.
Move the lever to the right turn position to check the right side corner lamps.
Center the turn signal lever and turn the E-Flasher switch ON. All 4 corner lamps should turn ON without flashing.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: