Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger isn't always better....
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

There's been a "discussion" if a 30mm pump is needed vs a 26mm pump. And does it steal power?

Watching Engine Masters and while they were tested 3 pumps on a LS engine, I wonder if their testing applies to the VW world.

Discuss....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

It certainly applies.

Engines I have taken apart with big pumps tend to show more wear on the drive tank and cam slot, suggesting more load needed to drive the pump. Granted, the pumps are much smaller than the pumps in the test, but the same concept is still present.

Also, oil temps rise because the pump pushes more oil through the bypass around the oil cooler. This is compounded by many running oil that is too thick.

For whatever reason the air cooled VW community, more than any other I have found, has a really bad habit of running oil pumps that are too big and oil that is too thick.

I agree, bigger isn’t always better.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

^^^^^^
This is also what i've seen.

Too much pressure causing the bypass to be open and higher oil temps.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

i wonder if everyone just started running the 30mm pumps because a lot of racers and buggies were running coolers - and in that scenario, it made sense.

But if your running stock or close to stock, and not full flow etc, the 26 is the way to go?

I've got a stock build 1600 single port in my 70, but put in the 30, because all the forums and articles said I should "upgrade" my oil pump 🤷‍♂️
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:
But if your running stock or close to stock, and not full flow etc, the 26 is the way to go?

I have a 2180 with a remote filter and run a 26mm pump.

I've built quite a few engines, from stock to performance, and never installed anything larger.

Now if I was running a oil cooler mounted in the front with -10 hoses, then I might run a 30mm pump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

I have a 26 on a full flow with external cooler and don't have any pressure issues. At least my pressure light isn't coming on at idle like the old worn out engine I replaced without full flow or external cooler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

Then we talk about oil pressure/pump there is maybe someone that’s known what thickness of the 3 pieces of shims under the oil cooler. I have the one with flat bottom and need the new shims/trays under. Not the doghouse cooler
//Jan
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

I´m no V8 expert, but why would you want 150 lbs oil pressure?????

Back in 2005 I think it was, i did a test on a 2 liter type 4, from a stock 24 mm. to a 30 mm pump and also synthetic 15w40 to mineral 15w/40 to mineral 20w/50. At 5000 rpm there was a 5,5 hp increased drag on the mineral 20w/50 compared to the synthetic 15w/40.
Naturally. 24 mm pump w. synthetic 15w40 to a 30 mm pump and mineral 20w/50.
But. Do not use this as more than a rough guideline, since some engines need a large pump due to large tolerances or parasitic losses through a turbo or a crappy aluminum case or something else.
for instance, a 356 engine needs its giant 38 mm pump due to tolerances about an inch, - or thereabouts so the bearings need a lot of oil to uphold a good film.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

If one were putting together a 2180 street engine (6500 max rpm, 9.2:1 approx 160 hp) for an early beetle using a CB Autolinea aluminum case with Hoover mods would a 30mm pump be advisable or would a 26mm pump be sufficient?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
If one were putting together a 2180 street engine (6500 max rpm, 9.2:1 approx 160 hp) for an early beetle using a CB Autolinea aluminum case with Hoover mods would a 30mm pump be advisable or would a 26mm pump be sufficient?

26mm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

b-man wrote:

I have a similar engine in my bus with a big oil cooler under the middle of the bus 3-4' in front of the engine, and it still has plenty of oil pressure with a 26mm pump.

Brian
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
b-man wrote:

I have a similar engine in my bus with a big oil cooler under the middle of the bus 3-4' in front of the engine, and it still has plenty of oil pressure with a 26mm pump.

Brian

So your bus engine has the Hoover mods done to it, just to be clear?

Going to purchase a bunch of stuff from Berg next week and just want to be more sure of what pump to get while I’m there.

Thanks, Bart

Last edited by b-man on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

the oil pump is the second biggest parasitic loss after piston rings from what I've read .
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

Maybe a 30mm if you running Porsche check valve piston oilers and a spray bar in the rocker box along will all the hoover stuff, but don't hold me to it. Also could be argued you don't need all that spraying stuff anyway.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

I agree.
The cooling fan is also -a drag-, and most of you think bigger is better on that, which is true some of the time. Wink
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I agree.
The cooling fan is also -a drag-, and most of you think bigger is better on that, which is true some of the time. Wink

skip to the end for HP loss on the fan .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvoniNfB3U
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

On a SBC build I managed to put the relief piston in backwards which basically resulted in no relief at all. The first sign that something was amiss was the Milwaukee 1/2" 120v big HD drill motor trying it's best to break my wrist. I got a better grip and hit the trigger again and heard a pop and suddenly oil is running down the outside of the filter. The cast alum filter adaptor had broken. I took the pan off and pulled the pump and found the issue and all was well after that.

On this motor I had the "High Volume - High Pressure" pump because of slightly loose bearing clearances. I actually used .001" undersized bearings to get .003 to .004. Probably would have been ok with my normal 1967 Z28 pump which had shorter gears than the HV-HP.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

I rebuilt an old racing engine that had a big oil pump and a extra heavy relief spring because.....that's how it was, and I'm just supposed to restore it to how it was.

got a call back about.... why it has over 150 psi oil pressure when they started it up the first time. Laughing

I think they changed at least the spring back to standard, to not sure never heard back, that was just what we decided was next step
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

Ditto on above, I just dropped the pan on my '63 Chevy, removed the 80lb spring that someone put in and installed a stock 45psi spring.

It's not just the VW crowd that thinks too much oil pressure is not enough. IMO, 45psi is fine for almost any street engine. I recently took the 80lb spring out of a stock 1600 and replaced it with a stock spring.

Decades ago I ran Castrol 20w-50 in many Ford engines and had nothing but problems with bearing wear. Later in life I think I caused my own problems and 10w30 would have been better..... (Ohio)
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger isn't always better.... Reply with quote

The last engine I rebuilt, 1641 with new crank, all new bearings and align bore, used cam and lifters and ALL the Hoover mods. When it came time for an oil pump all I had on hand that wasn't used was a brand new Bugpack cast iron 30mm oil pump. I thought to myself - I am NEVER going to have a need for a 30mm pump! So - I cut it down to 26 mm and installed it. I put 5W20 oil in it because it was late fall. Well, things happened as they do and I never got it started up until the next summer. After a reasonable break in time and some ripping around on the back roads the hot oil pressure settled into 23 psi idle and 55 psi at 3000 rpm cruise. This was still with the 5W20 winter oil in the middle of summer!

Did I even need a 26 mm pump? Nope! A stock 21 mm would have been just fine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: