Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blaupunkt radio repair
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Who’s the go to shop for Blaupunkt radio repair for my 6V 356?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Call 18009624412 for their support canter.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the phone number, who is the shop so I can look at their reviews.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

That's the Blaupunkt site.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

Wow. that's super helpful. Can't quite tell if that's sarcasm or not.

But try this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415779&highlight=blaupunkt+frankfurt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

But try this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415779&highlight=blaupunkt+frankfurt

If you doubt call the number it's toll free.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Bub wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

But try this:

If you doubt call the number it's toll free.

How about you call that number and tell us what they say.

FWIW I did call it. But I want YOU to call it then come on back and tell us how that went for you. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Is the Radio Doc in the attached post the one in Madison, WI. Guessing there are lots of shops called Radio Doc.
The one in Madison had good reviews.
Slip
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

I have used them for my radios
https://creativecaraudioshop.com/
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Radio Doc. Info directly from the source.
You want it to work? THIS IS THE GUY.

To acquaint you with my service procedure, here is an over-view, which, being general in nature, all the items might not pertain to your radio situation.

- Initially, I conduct a thorough fault analysis to determine the primary cause(s) of the observed symptom(s).

- The analysis then continues to determine those components, which although not primary fault contributors, are nevertheless out-of-spec due to aging and need to be replaced in order to restore the radio to its original factory specs and to prevent any near-term failures after the radio is returned to service.

- After the fault and the deteriorated component analyses are completed, I will contact you with a list of the specific items which need to be addressed, together with a Not-to-Exceed (NTE) Cost of Repair Estimate. If you choose not to proceed, I charge $45 to cover the cost of the analysis, which is otherwise waived.

- Going beyond the operational specifications, additional work is performed at no charge such as cleaning and lubricating all mechanical assemblies (tuner and dial mechanism), cleaning and lubricating all controls to eliminate electrical noise when operated and ensure smooth operation, cleaning/polishing of the dial bezel/trim, control knobs, station selector pushbuttons, radio case and straps. Dial crystals will always be polished.

- On an as-needed basis, defective dial markings will be refinished if they are paint-filled engravings and not silk-screened. Dial pointers and backgrounds will be refinished, missing fuse holder/fuse and damaged/missing external speaker/power wiring will also be replaced.

- Turnaround time is currently 10-14 weeks, due to high workload.

- All radios accepted for service can be restored to their original operation provided there is no defective part which was specifically designed for the radio and which we cannot either repair or remake. In such case, a source for the defective, application-specific part must be found so the repair can be made. This may be a lengthy process depending on availability, however, no charge is made for the actual search effort. If no suitable replacement can be found, my bench fee is waived and you are responsible only for the return shipping. If you do not want the radio returned, then no fees apply.

- Domestic return shipping of one-piece radios via insured ($200) Priority Mail with tracking is $25. Shipping cost for two-piece, or more than one radio shipped together will be calculated accordingly. Additional insurance is available on request at prevailing rates.

- Advance payment is not necessary. I will contact you at the conclusion of the repair and request payment. We accept personal checks (held to clear before shipping), or PayPal (preferred and ships asap).

- Please note: Repairs are warranted to you for the length of your ownership, exclusive of shipping costs.

Of course we are always busy with repairs and due to jobs already in-process or previously booked, I would estimate I would be able to address your radio in March. If you wish me to accomplish the repair, please feel free to send me your radio now, I could test and give you a NTE Repair Estimate, or you could wait until March when I could ask you to send it. Please let me know what you would like to do.

If/when sending your radio, please pack it securely, enclose a note with your return address and what operational problems you are having with the radio, or are just seeking a general refurbing/restoration and send to me at:

Bill Henn
4311 Palmetto Street
Saint Augustine, FL 32084-7305
609-658-1054 (cell)
[email protected]

No matter which carrier you use, USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc., please send me the Tracking Number when you do ship. Also please note - I do not have a problem with this, but if you should request "signature confirmation on delivery" and I am not available to receive your radio, it may be several days for me to get into town to pick it up.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Did some more research. Bret Johnson of the 356 Registry is doing an article on classic radios for our cars. He recommended Vintageblau in Long Island NY. Called and because my radio is tube type (green face)rather than all transistor (white face) decided to go all modern internals with Bluetooth added, with no change to the external appearance or dial operation.
Stock radios are 16 watt RMS, new one will be 80 watts. With new speakers, will actually be able to here it with top down and get wireless phone calls on the fly.
Takes about 7 weeks as they are busy. By then maybe the snow/salt will be gone in no WI!
Slip
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Got my reconfigured original Blaupunkt radio back. Has Bluetooth and other features I need to learn. Installed the unit yesterday and will do the wiring today I hope.
Took just over seven weeks as Vintageblau is very busy. So far, so good.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Went to wire up my original Blaupunkt model LA41/18Z speakers.
There is no marking for +or -. The original wiring looks like ordinary lamp cord with no discernible lines or marking either.
How do I tell +&-.
Theses old speakers look physically in very good condition and I want to try them before I purchase new ones. Any advice?
Thanks,
Slip
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Look for a paint dot by a terminal that will be +.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Got the answer from Ingo, the owner of Vintageblau. These old speakers can be connected either way. He says you might detect a slight difference in sound quality but might not. I’m going to make temp connections to see if I can tell the difference, probably not as I’m hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. The temp connections will allow new speakers if I decide to go that way. Need to find exact replacements as I will use original chrome speaker grills.
Will report back.
Slip
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Sorry, no paint dot. See my earlier response.
Thanks,
Slip
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Wired up the reconfigured radio, it works well & sound is pretty good considering 60 yr old speakers. Will be looking for correct size new ones because I want to use original chrome grills. Bluetooth is pared with my I phone. All seems good except the included microphone is not picking up my voice. More research needed. Included owners manual with the radio is very well written.
Slip
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt radio repair Reply with quote

Had microphone in wrong orfice, rookey mistake, corrected it and Bluetooth radio/phone works perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: