Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Noise
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Engine Noise Reply with quote

I got my 66 beetle back from the workshop that's been fixing it and after it was off loaded from the Transporter I started it up.It sounded very noisy compared to how it was before and it sounded particularly bad under the rear exhaust drivers side rear apron.I then found out it had literally no fuel in it.Could this be the reason ? I tried to upload a short video but despite it saying it's been uploaded successfully to my gallery there's no trace of it
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Fuel will not make a sound... just stop running.

Since it sounds like it was towed, I suspect in the process of loading and unloading they hit the muffler and pulled it off one of the heater boxes.

It's a slip joint, lower left in this picture... the silver clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

The Guy who delivered it did mention that the Exhaust was low after he unloaded it.Then I started it and noticed the knocking sound to the rear right side.I will get under it tomorrow and see if it's been pulled out 👍
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

The Garage who had the car said that they traced the problem to a section of Manifold Gasket that had blown out from the corner.Is this an easy fix ?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
The Garage who had the car said that they traced the problem to a section of Manifold Gasket that had blown out from the corner. Is this an easy fix ?

Not in and of itself (though you may need to pull the muffler and that brings more opportunities for fitment unpleasantries), but I wonder how that happened? Easy to bugger exhaust studs by careless handling, so I'd go over all the exhaust and het exchanger connections with a wary eye.
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

I think it could of happened when it was loaded onto the Transporter as the Guy who delivered it asked straight away if I had any wood because the exhaust was very low.

I conntacted the shop that had done the work on the car and they said that they noticed it whilst loading the car and he has seemed to suggest that it's just a Gasket blown out.It However it wasn't making this noise before
On a side note whilst at the Garage they said that a car reversed into the back of it and damaged the engine lid.They repaired all the damage but now I'm wondering if the impact could have caused the Exhaust issue
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I'm terrified of takin anything to a workshop as this type of things seems to happen (to me at least) way too often....
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I think it could of happened when it was loaded onto the Transporter as the Guy who delivered it asked straight away if I had any wood because the exhaust was very low.

I conntacted the shop that had done the work on the car and they said that they noticed it whilst loading the car and he has seemed to suggest that it's just a Gasket blown out.It However it wasn't making this noise before
On a side note whilst at the Garage they said that a car reversed into the back of it and damaged the engine lid.They repaired all the damage but now I'm wondering if the impact could have caused the Exhaust issue

Yes. Someone hitting the back of the car could have easily caused the damage. The exhaust pipes do stick out and could have been shoved forward and damaged the exhaust, causing the leak.
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Thanks for your help 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: