Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Girling G60 - spare parts drying up?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markusb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Years and years ago I converted my syncro to g60 front brakes using info at syncro.ca, from Dave Marshall, and they have been great. Saved me more than once.

I have to refresh everything since the van was sitting for a while and I had a hard time locating some parts:

276mm rotors seem to unavailable. I found that 282x25mm passat rotors seem to fit my setup. 288mm was too big unless I ground down the carrier some or had the rotors machined down, which i was not crazy about.

The brake pads are hard to come by. I did manage to locate a set. But due to the difficulty will order another set to keep on hand.

I cannot locate the glide pins ANYWHERE. If anyone has a tip here, ease let me know. I need some badly.

Just a heads up if you are going this route. There may be options with better parts availability at present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Yup, it's a dead conversion, you got your money worth out of it. That's how things go Sad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Parts are a little harder for find but they are out there. Burley has rebuild kits with new pistons, Rock Auto shows 276mm rotors. Slide pins seem to be non-existent but I find it hard to believe that the G60 calipers are the only one that used this slide pin. Try reaching out to Bigg Red in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

I bought a set of rebuilt calipers from rock auto about 2 months ago. But they where listed as last pair!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

I just finally did my conversion on my Syncro after having the parts sit on the shelf a few years.

Just jumped on Rock Auto and ordered what I needed for the future.

1991 Audi V8
Ordered front calipers left & right. SAID ONLY 1 REMAINING, but different vendors have shown 1 remaining so should be a pair left... somewhere? The pictures they had did not show the "Girling" names so feeling a bit skeptical
Rubber piston boots
Slide pin boots.
Pagid brake pads

Did not see any slide pins so that should be a warning to keep your boot seals good and pins lubricated.

2003 MB ML320
MB 303mm dia. Rotors

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

If these are non floating calipers you can guide pin them with simple hardware , just drill out the caliper holes and fit flanged bolts,for example.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Idk, I've still been installing G60s and it's still my preferred brakes setup- particularly on a syncro.

If you get real thorough with researching what cars these came on and start putting in other part numbers and vehicle years- you can find the calipers BRAND NEW or Rebuilt for good prices. It always takes me a bit of time when I decide I need another set, but I always find them.

Years ago I didn't know that and paid $400 for a set of carriers to modify, now I buy complete, loaded calipers- with carriers, for less then $100 each.
I still think its the best, easiest, and best performing brake swap available for a syncro.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Dang.

But you mainly need new slide pins if they haven't been touched in 20 years....
If it's been awhile it's not a big deal to take the slide pins out, grease and reinsert?

Just an idea.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
markusb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

New calipers? If you have a link to that let me know. Mail order, I hate dealing w cores.

My slide pins were so rusty 2 required heroics to get out, but all 4 heads were so rusty the boot couldn't stay on them.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

I sent a picture of the calipers to Bigg Red in the UK and said they were for a 1991 Audi V8 Quattro.
Here's the slider pins: https://www.biggred.co.uk/product/brh-slider-bolts/brake-hardware-brh1310ax/BRH1310AX

They have all the other parts as well.
markusb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Ordered the pins. I'll see if it's good.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing Smallcar front brake kit, just painted them red last night Very Happy

I have installed G60 on my 2 other vans and while there is no marking of Girling 60 on the calipers supplied by Smallcar but they look identical to my eyes to G60 calipers.

Makes me wonder if this means the supply is not drying up and we need to search for another model than 1990s Audi 200 brakes caliper when searching for spare calipers.

Thanks

Mat
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

It does seem like the caliper supply is drying up.
Still some rebuilt and aftermarket new ones around but I didn't find very many in stock when I just looked.

Mark
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Let's see..parts from a mid 80's Audi drying up? Yes, you are correct. Damn you Audi for not having a legacy program like the other German juggernauts.

If you're running G60's already then your carriers are already 'machined' for the Vanagon spindle caliper spacing so what's a little more to accommodate the 288's?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It does seem like the caliper supply is drying up.
Still some rebuilt and aftermarket new ones around but I didn't find very many in stock when I just looked.

Mark

When I looked at Rock Auto's website checking out the calipers I could see no "Girling" brand names on the selection of calipers they had. Last time I had looked and bought a set every vendors rebuilt pictures you could see it clearly.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

If you pretend you own a 1992 to 1994 Audi S4 or a 1995 to 1997 Audi S6 (I have one of each), then Google seems to show a fair number of G60 calipers available. At ECS Tuning, they are cheap and come with that important bracket needed for the conversion on your Vanagon:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cardone-parts/remanufactured-front-brake-caliper-right/447615124kit~car/

Note that this Audi caliper bracket does not require a spacer for fitting onto the Vanagon Syncro, but that bracket does need to be milled and the bolt holes enlarged and re-centered. I paid $60 for the milling/drilling at a machine shop.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

If you look deeper at that link you can see that they only have RIGHT side front calipers listed.
That is what I saw when I looked previously, at that US source as well as some others.

Mark

Howesight wrote:
If you pretend you own a 1992 to 1994 Audi S4 or a 1995 to 1997 Audi S6 (I have one of each), then Google seems to show a fair number of G60 calipers available. At ECS Tuning, they are cheap and come with that important bracket needed for the conversion on your Vanagon:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cardone-parts/remanufa...~car/.....
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

That's a good catch, Mark! Sorry to give folks false hope.

For anyone who is determined to buy these G60 calipers, most of the URS4 and URS6 owners/modifiers have upgraded from the G60 brakes to Porsche or Brembo brakes and likely have G60's gathering dust somewhere.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

I have found this link to be a useful source for part numbers:

https://forums.quattroworld.com/9080/msgs/13157.phtml

If you head over to vwvortex, you will see that the Girling G60's were a popular upgrade for a lot of different enthusiasts. So we Vanagon people are not the only ones facing this resource problem.

A web search using the OE part numbers does turn up some parts throughout the world, but sadly most are pretty expensive these days.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Girling G60 - spare parts drying up? Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
At ECS Tuning, they are cheap and come with that important bracket needed for the conversion on your Vanagon:

a tangent, but i wouldnt trust the "in stock" status at ECS any more than the "in stock" status at pelican parts, which is to say... not at all.
and i suppose that makes sense because theyre both under the ECS umbrella.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: