Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a Splitscreen Bus IRS Conversion Kit - With Standard Spring Plates (Using Beetle Setup)

https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/product/irsbeetle/

Everything goes well except the nose cone missalliming with shifting rod. The IRS gearbox is higher about 1.6 inch.

I think that I need to change the beetle Nose Cone to get it centered. Can you advice which Nose cone to use?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Looking at you picture I would say there is more wrong to the bus. The sheet metal is all bent. Is the torsion housing straight and where it belongs?

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
charles henson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

I used the nose cone off my splitscreen gear box and the hockey stick for a A-H single side plate gear box out of a L bug 73/74? model.
I bought a new gasket for nose cone to put on the gear box before fitting.
cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

I was already under my bus working on my shift rod coupler and took this pic for you.

My swing axle transmission has nose cone: 211301311G

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Using this transmission front mount 211301265

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
I was already under my bus working on my shift rod coupler and took this pic for you.

My swing axle transmission has nose cone: 211301311G

Thanks, I'll try to find this Nose cone part
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

I haven't completed my irs conversion I am using a different method but I changed out my beetle nose cone to the split cone and hockey stick Noted in my directions. I think either stick will work but need the bus cone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

dtadpole wrote:
I haven't completed my irs conversion I am using a different method but I changed out my beetle nose cone to the split cone and hockey stick Noted in my directions. I think either stick will work but need the bus cone.

As long as you have the beetle cone and the split one, Do you mind to measure both for me. In my case the beetle transmission nose cone needs to be dropped about 1.5" to be centered.
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

When I get home late this evening ill try to measure the differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

dtadpole wrote:
When I get home late this evening ill try to measure the differences.

Thanks, waiting for your input
demo four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

charles henson wrote:
I used the nose cone off my splitscreen gear box and the hockey stick for a A-H single side plate gear box out of a L bug 73/74? model.
I bought a new gasket for nose cone to put on the gear box before fitting.
cheers

I used an AM gearbox for my last bus IRS conversion and swapped the nosecone from my split gearbox and used that and everything fitted up and worked great.

You need to swap the nosecone and hockey stick to the beetle box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snuffelupabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Beetle IRS box with Split bus nose cone and hockey stick
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Beautiful trans there snuffalbus!

Here is the pics with the tape measure on each nose cone I don't know how much it will help since now I realize the measurement is from the bottom of the mount on each nosecone but maybee!

beetle nosecone

Bus nosecone

pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

dtadpole wrote:
Beautiful trans there snuffalbus!

Here is the pics with the tape measure on each nose cone I don't know how much it will help since now I realize the measurement is from the bottom of the mount on each nosecone but maybee!

Thank you. Appreciate
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

The bus nose cone and hockey stick are different than a Type 1. The holes of the nose cone mount are a different height (211 part number). The indent for the shift coupler set screw is on the top side of a Type 1 hockey stick and on the bottom side of a Type 2 hockey stick. Rancho Performance Transmission carries an aftermarket bus nose cone, which has the hole to mount a reverse light switch. They also have the hockey stick, which comes stock or welded and reinforced. The nose cone mount is the same Type 1 and Type 2, but the Type 2 is stiffer. The lack of reduction gear boxes when running IRS or beetle swing axle puts more stress on the front mount. A bus front mount (211 number) and a mid-mount is the way to go. The Daddybus runs a Type 1 IRS and I have broken...1 Type 1 rubber mount, one urethane mount, and a bus mount. I haven't broken a mount since I went with the Wolfgang mid-mount (no drilling required).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

Thanks Daddybus for the information I am def. going to go with a mid mount seems like a great addition!!
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 70's IRS gearbox to 67 Split Bus. Reply with quote

also here is a link to the directions and way that I am going. for reference may help.
https://creative-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IRS-FITTING-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: