Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd buildup on spark plug
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Odd buildup on spark plug Reply with quote

Recently pulled my plugs after a long trip as it was running rough with less power. These were put in before my time so not sure how long they were in for and whether or not they used anti-seize (I'm guessing they did). What would cause the buildup on the ground electrode?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other thing I noticed is the plugs seemed very loose, almost hand tight but they were not stripped and I had no issues putting another set in. Would the combination of being loose and anti-seize present cause the buildup? Something else?

I have not used these plugs before and put in my last set of Bosch W8AC's in (practially antiques now) and it seems to be running better after also fixing a few other items:

-Points gap closed up
-Belt loose (recently changed a few 100 miles ago)

Set the points gap properly, re-timed it with a timing light for 30 degrees all in (009 dizzy with H30/31) and its running pretty good now. The W8AC's are a little hotter than the previous plugs (NGK B6HS) so maybe that contributed as well (bone stock sp1600)?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd buildup on spark plug Reply with quote

Hard to tell for certain what the deposits are on the electrodes. It looks like ash to me, possibly from running the cooler heat range plugs, or possibly from bottles of additives in your fuel if you use them.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd buildup on spark plug Reply with quote

cheap Ca. fuel Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd buildup on spark plug Reply with quote

Don't use any fuel additives and yes, the fuel sucks here in CA but I'm always running premium (92 octane).

It's possible I got some shit gas on the trip as I think it really didn't start running poorly until after my last fill up on the way back.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd buildup on spark plug Reply with quote

That's a good looking plug with some ash from oil additives (consumption). Replace, or bead blast and reinstall. If you have rough running do a compression test while the plugs are out.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: