Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivers side tail light no power
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

I have a 55 bus that I have been working on trying to get the power to the driver side tail light. My 2 headlights work when I pull out my headlight switch and the passenger tail light works. My deck lid license plate light works. I do not have the tail light on the driver side hooked up, just the wire. I tested it with a test light and it doesn’t have power. I just want to get power to the driver side tail light. All the fuses are good and fuse box has been cleaned and dialectic grease has been applied. Headlight switch was checked. I have wiring diagram. What supplies power to the drivers side tail light?
My battery connections to the starter were cleaned and dialectic grease. Also, the trans strap has been cleaned and dialectic grease. I do not have blinkers hooked up only on the passenger front and rear not on the drivers side. Please help. Thanks
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

Check for power at both ends of the taillite fuses- they are separate for left and right. If there's power at both ends, drop the fuse box and check for power at the output terminal. It should be the third fuse, black and white. From the fusebox it's a straight wire to the left taillite.

Good Luck!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_jan54.jpg
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.l have power at all of the fuses.I thought all power went though the head light switch.I had power at one point but only when the bus was running.thanks
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

malik wrote:
Thanks for the reply.l have power at all of the fuses.I thought all power went though the head light switch.I had power at one point but only when the bus was running.thanks

The third fuse from the left is from the light switch and powers:
Tail light on driver side
Both left and right front parking lights

So if only the driver tail light is out, the connection above the fuse box is loose
the wire from front to back has a break in it, or the spot where you are testing the wire for power does not tough the wire.
Make sure test light (and the battery) is grounded properly.

Sometimes it's the little things.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. my bus is a 55 but it’s wired from the factory like a 54. The main power comes in on the right side of the fuse box. You can see an example of the fuse box and how it’s wired if you look in technical the manuals section 54 and you’ll see the wiring. this is why it’s so confusing. i’ve never had a problem like this before I cannot figure it out very frustrating. Thanks
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

Post pic of your fuse box

Iirc the power from the headlight switch when pulled out goes to the fuse box to the fuses for taillights. So check there with a test light. At both sides of the fuses. See how it changes when you pull the headlight switch out.

Hope that helps.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

malik wrote:
Thanks for the information. my bus is a 55 but it’s wired from the factory like a 54. The main power comes in on the right side of the fuse box. You can see an example of the fuse box and how it’s wired if you look in technical the manuals section 54 and you’ll see the wiring. this is why it’s so confusing. i’ve never had a problem like this before I cannot figure it out very frustrating. Thanks

My tips were based on tracing the diagram linked above for a 54 bus.
The third fuse gets power from the light switch terminal #58

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

To all thanks again for all the help. Does the headlight switch ground to the parcel tray through the screw.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

malik wrote:
To all thanks again for all the help. Does the headlight switch ground to the parcel tray through the screw.

No
if your other taillight works, the switch is working to send power to taillights
If there is no power at one taillight with switch on, but at the other,
The problem is *between* the switch and the taillight.

The taillight may also have corrosion, fwiw
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side tail light no power Reply with quote

malik wrote:

The headlight switch being grounded has nothing to do with the circuit.
It can still work if you hold it in your hand.

Bulbs need negative and positive from the battery.

The battery is attached to the body made of metal
The body acts as a wire for the negative path.
The bulbs all get a Negative (ground path) from touching the body right next to each bulb. rarely is a ground wire sent to a bulb.
(The only exception is the oil and gen bulbs)

The light switch only connects positive from the battery through wires and fuses to the bulb. The light switch does not need to be grounded to work.

The switches all send the Positive signal.

04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: