Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An uncomfortable night
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

I was driving home from work Monday afternoon.
Along the way I snacked on a prepackaged mini apple pie I had in the Van.
About 10-15 minutes later and about 1/2 mile from home the World began to spin with a bout of extreme dizziness I’ve never experienced.
I managed to pull into a local landscapers lot and closed my eyes to stop the spinning.
As the owner left he naturally was curious and I told him my problem.
He mentioned that he has seen the Van a lot around town and was fine with me staying there a bit.
Sadly after he left the dizziness gave way to a severe vomit session.
Once things settled a bit I was still too dizzy to drive so J grabbed my phone only to find I had stopped in an area on “NO SERVICE”!
I did manage to get a text to my Wife saying I was sick, the location and to come get me.
Now my Van is fully laden with tools and parked in a strange lot for the night.
In my haste I didn’t activate the GPS/alarm system.
My area is fairly quiet and safe rural area so I have minimal worries….. but still…… it is like a child lost in the woods, there is a level of anxiety.

Dawn will verify or calm my fears I guess.

Best I can figure is food poisoning from that apple pie. Sickness hit hard and fast!
Much improved after a few hours of sleep.
I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to being crushed by my 42 lb 6 month old puppy snuggled next to me.
He is either compassionate or more realistically……I’m in his spot!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Yikes! It's good to hear you pulled over safely! Our bodies are amazing when they get to evacuating toxins. Something bad got into your system. It was nice of the business owner to let you sort things out instead of kicking you out. Here's hoping that the van and tools make it through the night unmolested.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Dave. Those guys are loaded with calories and fat., and apparently, the one you had came equipped with the deluxe add-on package. Let us know in the morning if A you are OK and B, is the car and TOOLS OK.

Duncan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Along the way I snacked on a prepackaged mini apple pie I had in the Van. About 10-15 minutes later and about 1/2 mile from home the World began to spin with a bout of extreme dizziness I’ve never experienced. <snip>

Best I can figure is food poisoning from that apple pie. Sickness hit hard and fast!
Much improved after a few hours of sleep.

that is too quickly for bacterial action to affect you via a food borne illness. so if indeed it was the pie, it would be a chemical contaminant. and those are pretty rare but not unheard of.

more likely it was something you ate in the preceding 24-72 hrs or a manifestation of something else going on in your body... blood pressure, blood glucose, dehydration, heart arrhythmia.

back in the day, the only food borne outbreak i worked on with that quick of a development time was a kid's camp where everyone got sick about 10 minutes after the meal began. it was some sort of acid fruit juice that had been held in anodized aluminum pitchers and metals leached into the drink.
staph and bacillus cereus can act fast but usually 30 minutes at the very quickest and more likely hours plus you get whacked with the runs.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Apple pie?
I would never think that I couldn't pass an apple pie.
I would hate to have a negative memory of any pie.

Yikes, I hope you and tools are OK.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Thanks, our area is small, the Valley encompasses about 30 sq miles and was settled in 1700.
We have a group of old order Mennonites still using horses.
There are only about 4000 people here and it still clings to a small town way of life, caring for and watching out for neighbors.
My fears are minimal but we've had a rash of city kids coming out of Reading and messing with farmers barns and stuff.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

My Sister in Law, a retired MD immediately suspected this....... and in analyzing the time line, I had two of those pies, one a but earlier....

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/diseases/staphylococcal.html

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Reading the first few sentences, I thought you were going to say the pie was laced with pot and sent you flying.

Glad you recovered quickly. I kind of went through the same a month ago, but couldn't figure out what I had gotten into to cause it.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Glad you're OK. Next time avoid that salmonella flavored apple pie! HaHa I haven't had one of those things in years! My body would probably revolt like it does if I try to eat fast food now. Total poison
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Wow, sorry to hear of you going through this. Probably more of food poisoning or other related illnesses than we know of. Who knows what goes into foods we eat these days. Hopefully today you’ll be feeling better and be able to get your van home.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

From your early description I thought you were having a bout of BPV Benign Proximal Vertigo. If it does end up being BPV, Look up the Epply maneuver, It will help reset your gyros and fix the dizzyness.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

sudden dizziness in a not so young man, I wouldn't have left you alone/unattended right off for fear of finding you still there the next morning.. unalive.. blood pressure, breathing, histamines, that wasn't nougat on the crust.
fwiw I get flush/dizzy/tunnel vision as a reaction to an extreme body stress like a fever. not saying that's your issue... just that our body's respond to miscellaneous things in mysterious ways... and can change reaction/behavior as we age... it's not a 'well I've never had/done that before' to a 'well that's a first...' of a now and future reaction

I hope you got rest and are well this am....
we're rooting for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

dougnlina wrote:
From your early description I thought you were having a bout of BPV Benign Proximal Vertigo. If it does end up being BPV, Look up the Epply maneuver, It will help reset your gyros and fix the dizzyness.

This was my first thought too. It has happened to me while driving and I was lucky to get over to the shoulder without incident. Glad you did too.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

I hope you did not get this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/health/fresh-ideati...index.html

You may want to see your doc.

Be well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

hope you recover soon
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I’m in his spot!

Is your dog named Sheldon?

Seriously, glad you were relatively close to home, glad your wife came and rescued you and glad you're feeling better.

I'm sure the Van is fine, not like you live in NYC or DC or Chicago.

Next time avoid the gas station sushi.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Izzat what you ate?
thats not pie.

Listeria would be really really bad, some never recover.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Dave, I am so sorry for your sickness. It appears you may have turned the corner. I hope so.

Three years ago, while driving on I-74 about half way between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, out of the blue with no warning, I became extremely dizzy. We had made a quick trip up to Indianapolis to pick up an 002 Transmission I'd purchased on-line.

In my case, it is Vertigo due to an inner ear issue in my right ear. To this day, I cannot completely shake it. My ENT put me on a low sodium diet which has helped.

I hope this is over for you. Wishing you well. (Oh, apple pie is one of my favorites.)
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

I'm going to echo what dan said, at least touch base with a health care professional especially if symptoms repeat/continue.

Think about it this way: if somebody posted here and said "my motor started spinning uncontrollably and then it puked fluids" would we tell them "just let it rest, it will be fine." ?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: An uncomfortable night Reply with quote

Happy to report that a night of anxiety was ill founded!
My Van was just fine!
I am pretty much back to normal as well.
Nasty little bout I had.

The landscaper turns out to be a great guy, a neighbor up to now unmet.
We chatted, I took a pile of business cards to give to customers of one looking forward such work and he showed me some work he needs done on the building.
Good farming community people!

I’ll probably never know the true cause for the sudden illness but I’m staying off of busy highways for awhile just in case it wasn’t a one and done food borne illness!
I want to have a ready place to stop rather than a narrow divided Highway shoulder!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: