Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

I was browsing the forums the other day, and ran across someone who said the original 67 reverse light wires barely made it out of the casing, while the replacements/later years went much farther (a way you can tell if your reverse lights are original). I can't find the post that mentioned this, but does anyone know if there is truth to this - or am I just imagining this information (which is possible!)?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

You are correct. The originals were VERY short. I believe these from a Samba ad are OEM:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the little rubber washer between the female connector and the lamp body. That is original, too.
See the beveled ring and groove at the tip of the nut? The boot (part of the wire feeding the lamp) fits there, and should look like this:

They are used for horns, oil warning lamp, and the backup lamps. Available repro.

Another good candidate for using an LED replacement bulb... whiter, brighter, less current drain on 50+ year old wiring.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

I can't attest to the aftermarket ones being longer but I can confirm that the originals barely make it out of the casing. All of my '67s have had super short terminal wires. I'll look through some of my photos stored and see if i can find difinitive replacement hella ones.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Oh, my! Do you know of anyone who reproduces the washers? I do not appear to have mine. Perhaps I need to purchase some lights for rubber parts. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

This is one of the back up lights on my 67
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Would this be the washer/grommet?
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/311949149b-grommet-13x5mm.html

By the way, I found this by using Bing's new AI search engine, after spending a lot of time searching using Google. I might have to start using Bing.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

By the way, I found this by using Bing's new AI search engine, after spending a lot of time searching using Google. I might have to start using Bing.

No, that is a sheet metal penetration grommet.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:

No, that is a sheet metal penetration grommet.

Well, then, perhaps Bing's AI has a little ways further to go. Wink
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

The long wire reverse lights were early and the short wire were later on. The short made it easier to swap/change out than the long ones.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
The long wire reverse lights were early and the short wire were later on. The short made it easier to swap/change out than the long ones.

Which ones would have been originally on my Oct 67? Or would Garwood tell me?
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
veedubcrazy wrote:

Which ones would have been originally on my Oct 67? Or would Garwood tell me?

Oct 67 or Oct 66? If Oct 66, like mine, you would have the long wire. I credit Bill May with this nugget of info. Rest his soul...

Last edited by veedubcrazy on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
Oct 67 or Oct 66? If Oct 66, like mine, you would have the short wire. I credit Bill May with this nugget of info. Rest his soul...

Sorry - I meant Oct of the 67 model year, so you were right - Oct 66. Thanks for the information!
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
veedubcrazy wrote:
Oct 67 or Oct 66? If Oct 66, like mine, you would have the short wire. I credit Bill May with this nugget of info. Rest his soul...

Sorry - I meant Oct of the 67 model year, so you were right - Oct 66. Thanks for the information!

I meant long wire. I went back and edited for future reference. Also, you need those wire clips that attach the wires to the base mount.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
I meant long wire. I went back and edited for future reference. Also, you need those wire clips that attach the wires to the base mount.

Ah - thanks! Would you happen to have a picture of how long they would be? Any ideas on where to get the clips or the rubber? The boot seems to be commonly reproduced, but I don't know about the washer/grommet or the clips.

Thanks!
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
veedubcrazy wrote:

Ah - thanks! Would you happen to have a picture of how long they would be? Any ideas on where to get the clips or the rubber? The boot seems to be commonly reproduced, but I don't know about the washer/grommet or the clips.

Thanks!

No pic at moment but length is approx 18" to 22". And lemme pm ya...
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:

If the wire is long enough to go under the apron, did those reverse lights not have the rubber boot (as there is connection to protect)? What protected it when it connected under the apron?

bill may wrote:

Early 67 had a really long wire that went all the way to plastic splitter 2=1 then to trans. later 67's had a short wire that barely got out of housing. the nut that holds back up light to bracket on early 67's was a normal looking hex nut while later 67 nut was machined with a step for rubber boot.

I'm trying to figure out where this splitter would be - is Bill suggesting this was split along the bumper, somewhere in the engine, or someone near the transmission?

Thanks!
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
veedubcrazy wrote:

If the wire is long enough to go under the apron, did those reverse lights not have the rubber boot (as there is connection to protect)? What protected it when it connected under the apron?

The wires would have ran thru the rubber grommet for the bumper and follow along the underside till it met the splitter near the transalxe. Darn near all those splitters rotted or got damaged. They are the dame splitters used in the wiring loom, running to tail-lights/brakelights. The clips i referenced attached to the bumper bracket to aid in its installation.

bill may wrote:

Early 67 had a really long wire that went all the way to plastic splitter 2=1 then to trans. later 67's had a short wire that barely got out of housing. the nut that holds back up light to bracket on early 67's was a normal looking hex nut while later 67 nut was machined with a step for rubber boot.

I'm trying to figure out where this splitter would be - is Bill suggesting this was split along the bumper, somewhere in the engine, or someone near the transmission?

Thanks!
Bill has passed away, so you wont get an answer unfortunately... Crying or Very sad
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/343901.jpg
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
Bill has passed away, so you wont get an answer unfortunately... Crying or Very sad

Right - sorry, that wasn't intended for Bill to answer, it was just a question I wanted to put out there, as I'm sure others know. Bill put down a *lot* of knowledge before he left us.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nit question about 67 Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Looks like I missed this discussion. Thought I'd share a couple insights...

The photo below is from my own early production (August 8, 1966) '67 Beetle Convertible. Note the difference between this 'early' back up light and the more common later "67 only" style. The bracket mounting hardware, the absence of any provision for a rubber boot, and no protruding spade connectors, and the continuous long black wire.

I'm not sure exactly when the changeover occurred to the later style, but this early style also DID NOT HAVE the much ballyhooed and talked about fuse holder / special clip on the right side of the fan shroud..

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: