Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel line lengths
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

Hi Sambas,

1979 Campmobile is with the mechanic. He noticed the fuel lines were touching things that get hot Shocked and we decided rather than fiddle with them, we'd change them.

I contacted my parts supplier and fuel lines for FI type 4 2.0L Bay camper bus are sold my the metre. I need enough for the "feed line from the tank to the filter" and "the return line from the tank".

So, how many metres of fuel line will I need? (or feet if you prefer - I can do the math). I should probably err on the side of a little extra, but not too much.

Much thanks!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

Most 78-79 bays have 7mm metal fuel pipes for most of that run that don't need changing. The rubber bits are 5-10cm long, so a meter will do the whole car.

German Supply sells kits that match whatever year your car is currently.

https://germansupply.com/fuel-hose-kit-fuel-injected-bus-75-79-vanagon-80-83.5.html

You can just order the 1979 kit though, you'll need to look under and see if it has all the metal intermediate fuel pipe. If your metal pipes have been replaced with long runs of rubber, you'll want the 76-77 kit with more rubber and less hose clamps.

Also, if your hose clamps aren't the kind that are smooth all around, you'll want those too. FLAPS stores sell the ABA clamps, I think the size for FI hose is 13.

The hose from the filter to the pump is 11mm. Silly not to change it too. 8-10cm long, smooth clamps.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

or get some 5/16th high pressure Gates Barricade locally. None of the lines should really be touching any exhaust or anything like that on a stock engine. The hoses are all above the tin, and the lines to the tank are up under the floor over the transmission. Make sure the weather strip on your bus engine is good. Last - I have no idea who your mechanic is but on late bay engines, the oil screen plate is rarely touched, whereas on Beetles and type 1 engine bays that is how you change the oil. The acorn nut that holds it cannot go over 9 ft lbs or it WILL destroy the engine. If the guy doesn't know that educate him. If he acts arrogant, RUN.

TCash image
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

How is your hose managing to tough something hot?

For American made hose you want hose that has a rating of 30r9 printed on the hose. Hose that has 30r14 & 30r9 is okay as well. There are European equivalents.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

Thanks! Good info.

Yes, I have confidence in the mechanic, but I have to go through a service advisor, so some things get unclear. It looks like I will need more specific information from them.

BIG THANK YOU on the warning on the big plate. I am having the mechanic do what I know I can't, then going to step up and do what I think I can. Changing the oil was one and seeing that big Beetle-type oil drain plate made me think to go right for that. Now I won't.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Thanks! Good info.

Yes, I have confidence in the mechanic, but I have to go through a service advisor, so some things get unclear. It looks like I will need more specific information from them.

BIG THANK YOU on the warning on the big plate. I am having the mechanic do what I know I can't, then going to step up and do what I think I can. Changing the oil was one and seeing that big Beetle-type oil drain plate made me think to go right for that. Now I won't.
I was warned too when I bought my bus, and I am glad I was. If someone has had a type one motor that is the instinctive place to go, and it can be quite fatal to the type 4 engine.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: fuel line lengths Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I have confidence in the mechanic, but I have to go through a service advisor, so some things get unclear.

That’s a clear sign you are in the wrong place to service a vintage car. Another sign is a large barrel of bananas in the staff room
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: