Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best paint for seat frames/interior?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowserb61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to repaint my seat frames, steering column tube, handbrake lever and shift lever on my '59 beetle, but I'm not really satisfied with the paint options I've found so far.

I did the seats and hand levers about 15 years ago with the WW color matched rattle cans and I was really not happy with the durability. It scratched and wore through on all the touch surfaces in a matter of a couple years.

I've already accepted that we'll never find the L471 Stone Beige formula and that having someone hand match a quality paint is my best option. I took the steering column tube to a local English Color, but the only paint they had available to color match with was a base/clear. I didn't really like this idea beacuse of similar durability concerns. These are all high wear, high contact surfaces and if the clear coat chips I'm going to be left with that "failing clear coat" look all around my interior.

The couple of paint shops that I've talked to that carry single-stage paints only have them in full gloss, which I don't think is appropriate for these interior pieces.

Is there a better option out there that I haven't seen yet?
Am I underestimating one of the options I've already looked at?
Is this just the current state of automotive paints and I just need to suck it up?

Thanks in advance
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

Clear coat would be plenty durable, but I'm surprised that the shops said they couldn't make the single stage flatter. All of the paint companies I know sell a flattener that you add in.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
bowserb61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

There was one place that offered a flattener for their single stage, but minimum quantity was a gallon.
I guess I'll keep calling around.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

I had some Utech U350 single stage mixed for my interior stuff. It's a single stage, and flattener is available. It's a commercial fleet paint, and tough as nails.
https://www.utech.us/products/colorcoats/u350-single-stage-topcoat
Check the distributors link to see who sells it. I bought a quart of their flattener for my fuel tank paint, and the amount you use depends on how flat you want it. It can be 1:1 for completely flat, with multiple coats needed to cover.
Good luck!
SD
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

bowserb61 wrote:
There was one place that offered a flattener for their single stage, but minimum quantity was a gallon.
I guess I'll keep calling around.
Minimum of a gallon for them to do it or the flattener only comes in a gallon? You could just buy it and do it yourself. I'm pretty sure last time I checked Limco's flatterer it was just by part so; 100 parts paint and 20 parts flattener resulted in 80% gloss or something like that.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

It was RM I looked at, but this is the gist,
"Satin Gloss
70 parts UNO HD color
30 parts SM09
25 parts DH42, DH44,
DH46
25 parts UR Reducer"
So you could do 80/20 for 80%, 50/50 for 50%, etc.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
bowserb61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I had some Utech U350 single stage mixed for my interior stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try calling their distributors.

67ctbug wrote:
Minimum of a gallon for them to do it or the flattener only comes in a gallon?

The place I talked to would only sell the flattener in a gallon. I think they were mostly a supplier for body shops and not really interested in dealing with small quantities. I'll check out RM as well and see what I come up with.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

I got L466 mixed up in acrylic and it certainly came out flat. even with clear over it, it's only semi-gloss

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

bowserb61 wrote:
I'm getting ready to repaint my seat frames, steering column tube, handbrake lever and shift lever on my '59 beetle, but I'm not really satisfied with the paint options I've found so far.

I did the seats and hand levers about 15 years ago with the WW color matched rattle cans and I was really not happy with the durability. It scratched and wore through on all the touch surfaces in a matter of a couple years.

I've already accepted that we'll never find the L471 Stone Beige formula and that having someone hand match a quality paint is my best option. I took the steering column tube to a local English Color, but the only paint they had available to color match with was a base/clear. I didn't really like this idea beacuse of similar durability concerns. These are all high wear, high contact surfaces and if the clear coat chips I'm going to be left with that "failing clear coat" look all around my interior.

The couple of paint shops that I've talked to that carry single-stage paints only have them in full gloss, which I don't think is appropriate for these interior pieces.

Is there a better option out there that I haven't seen yet?
Am I underestimating one of the options I've already looked at?
Is this just the current state of automotive paints and I just need to suck it up?

Thanks in advance

try it with standox/axalta. their dealers are offering color chips ror comparing to your nos color. i got good results with it.
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best paint for seat frames/interior? Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that interior paint seems like a lower gloss due to the factory (seemingly) spraying paint directly to bare metal. Anyone know for sure? You most definitely can reduce gloss in single stages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: